Proper meatballs.

For all your recipes, food and drink ideas and discussions

Proper meatballs.

Postby Workingman » 02 Apr 2016, 16:46

Not like the tinned ones and not like the IKEA Swedish ones...

Meatballs
500g pork mince
1/2 tsp dried sage
2 cloves of crushed garlic
Salt and pepper to season

Sauce
I finely chopped onion
2 rashers of finely chopped streaky bacon
1 tsp dried basil
1 tsp dried thyme
1 dsp dried oregano
1 large tin of tomatoes (or 500ml pasata)
1 crumbled chicken stock cube
salt and pepper to season
water
oil

Thoroughly mix the meatball ingredients - get your hands in and sqidge about. Once done take a tsp of the mix and fry in a dry pan - taste and adjust any of the ingredients then pop the mix in the fridge.

Slowly fry the onion in the minimum of oil until translucent then add bacon tilll cooked then add the dry herbs and keep cooking for at least another minute. Add the tomatoes and the crumbled stock cube to the pan. Add about half a cup of water. Give the sauce a mix till the cube is incorporated then have a tase - season to your liking then keep on a low heat.

Take the meatball mix and pinch off pieces slightly smaller than golf ball size and roll to make the meatballs - you should get 24 to 28. In a dry frying pan cook the meatballs until they start to get brown - they are pork so will release some oil of their own. Keep rolling them about whilst they are browning so you get light and dark patches then transfer them to the sauce, mix in and continue cooking on a low heat for about 20 minutes. Add water if it is needed to keep the meatballs covered in sauce.

Serve with a pasta of choice or chunks of garlic bread, or both.
Workingman

Re: Proper meatballs.

Postby Ally » 04 Apr 2016, 08:40

That's almost like how I make mine WM....I've always made my own.

Those tinned ones are the food of Satan! :x :x
Ally
Site Admin

Return to In The Kitchen