Gfcf sponge cake

For all your recipes, food and drink ideas and discussions

Gfcf sponge cake

Postby Weka » 17 Sep 2016, 11:14

Olivers birthday cake this year had to be gfcf and nut free due to various children's allergies. So the second receipe I used was

5 eggs beaten till creamy 8-10 mins
1t vanilla essence
1/2 c caster sugar slowly added
Sift
1 1/4 c gf cornflour with
1/2 t gf baking powder
Then fold into the above (but my second attempt founds the it worked better putting the whisk attachment on and going for it. )
Pour into 20cm round tin
Then bake for 20mins at 150c.

I put them in a square tin and the are now covered in "grass". I'll put a pic up tomorrow once the goals and candles are in place.
Everything happens for a reason
Weka

Re: Gfcf sponge cake

Postby Workingman » 17 Sep 2016, 15:57

I only discovered at my dil's 30th that her sister is coeliac so mum had made two cakes, one of which was cornflour based and gluten free - it was superb.
Workingman

Postby Weka » 17 Sep 2016, 20:54

Any chance of getting the recipe WM? Geoff is looking more and more like he's going to be wheat free for a long time if not forever and I'm having trouble finding nice recipes.

1st cal attempt resembled an oily windowless building. I haven't even dared to throw it tote birds yet.
Weka

Postby Kaz » 17 Sep 2016, 21:04

I make a gf crumble, with Dove Farm flour, which is mostly rice flour I think xxxx
Kaz

Postby Workingman » 17 Sep 2016, 21:51

Weka, L says your ingredients are right but adds:

No baking powder, just use equal weights of cornflour and sugar with one egg to every 35 - 40g of sugar. So four eggs needs about 150g of sugar as well as 150g of cornflour. The eggs and vanilla are beaten on high till thick and creamy then the sugar is added in spoonfuls and each one beaten on medium till each batch of sugar is dissolved followed by a final blast on high. The cornflour then needs to be sieved and folded in very carefully with a non-metallic spatula.

Cooking is done in a fully preheated oven at 180ºC - middle tray.

Apparently another trick is to make a meringue with the egg whites, sugar and a pinch of salt before mixing in the yolks and then sieving in the cornflour with a pinch of baking powder. Also other flavours can be used such as almond essence, cherry, lemon, coffee etc.

She says they do rise but if making something like a Victoria sponge sandwich you will need two. Well buttered 20cm tins are about the right size.

I'll ask about tips on gluten free once Michael and Sophie move out to London, it is a bit stressful atm.

Kaz, I forgot about rice flour, it is used in lots of Chinese cooking, and they do love their cakes. :D
Workingman

Postby Weka » 19 Sep 2016, 10:44

Thanks!! It's that folding in I really can't get the hang of. Possibly a lesson or two on you tube would show me how.

My cake rose beautifully and I was all excited at how high it was, then it was as flat as a pancake in under a minute.

More practice definitely needed. I'll try your directions and see how I go.
Weka

Return to In The Kitchen