DIY Toffee popcorn

For all your recipes, food and drink ideas and discussions

DIY Toffee popcorn

Postby Workingman » 02 Oct 2016, 15:17

I see the meatloaf went down well. :D :D :D I found a new Asian store and there on the shelf at 99p per kg was popping corn (as well as papdoms and prawn crackers to cook at home) but I digress. :o :roll: ;)

This is one for when the nights draw in and there is a good film on TV, rare I know, but you do not want to be eating this every day. :P :P :P

To make the popcorn
100g popping corn
1 tbsp oil - not olive oil - sunflower or rapeseed.
1 tsp butter
1 pinch salt

To make the toffee sauce/crackle
40g soft brown sugar
4 tbsp golden syrup
30g butter
splash of water

Bring the oil to a medium heat. Test one kernel and if it pops in less than a minute you have the temperature. Add in the rest of the corn, cover the pan and leave till all the popping stops. Shake the pan every so often as the popping is going on. When done turn off the heat.

Whilst all that is going on add the sauce ingredients to another pan on med-high heat. Stir till the sugar dissolves then bring to a gentle boil and let it bubble away, stirring constantly, till it is golden brown. Don't boil too much or you will end up with crystals. A goood test is to dip the handle of a teaspoon in the sauce and let a drop fall on to a plate, it should set almost instantly.

Pour the sauce over the popcorn and turn it till each kernel is covered then leave to cool. I turn it out on to a tray for this part as I find it easier to break up any clumps as the crackle sets.

Tip1. A sprinkle of chilli and cinnamon powders in the sauce adds a unique flavour.
Tip2. If the crackle is not setting as you hoped put the popcorn on a baking tray and into a pre-heated medium oven, 160º, for a few minutes.
Workingman

Re: DIY Toffee popcorn

Postby Ally » 02 Oct 2016, 21:01

I'd rather just buy a packet of Butterkist toffee popcorn.

No pots. No pans. Eat and put the empty packet in the bin. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Ally
Site Admin

Postby Diflower » 02 Oct 2016, 22:15

We have a popcorn machine, it's brill, haven't used it for a couple of years but the boys love it :)
It just uses hot air, and we only ever add butter and salt, you get a massive bowlful for next to nothing :D
Diflower

Postby Workingman » 02 Oct 2016, 23:34

Ally wrote:I'd rather just buy a packet of Butterkist toffee popcorn.

No pots. No pans. Eat and put the empty packet in the bin. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Ah but, DIY costs pennies, whereas cinema or Butterkist costs £s.

I am a Yorkshireman, in case you forgot. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Workingman

Postby Ally » 03 Oct 2016, 09:52

How can I forget you're a Yorkshireman Frank?! :lol: :lol:

You'll never convert me to making popcorn - I'm quite happy to buy a big bag from Poundland for £1. :lol: :lol:

Mercadona do bags of normal popcorn you just pop in the microwave Di..you end up with a mahoosive bowl of the stuff and it's lovely. :D :D
Ally
Site Admin

Return to In The Kitchen