Deb's recipe for green tomato chutney

For all your recipes, food and drink ideas and discussions

Deb's recipe for green tomato chutney

Postby meriad » 23 Oct 2016, 15:53

well, today was the day that I gave it a go.... admittedly I tweaked the recipe a teeny bit :oops:

500gr of sultanas only vs 250 each of raisins and sultana's (I don't use enough of them to have the left overs)
The tomatoes I got off the vines were just over 1kg vs the 900gr as per the recipe but as I had the same amount of apples I figured that should be OK?
I had 700gr Bramley and the balance was Granny Smith (because I had them and needed to use them up somehow) plus one from the neighbours tree

But my problem was that I really struggled to reduce the liquid of the whole lot. I had it on a soft simmer for about 2 hours but it was really liquid still. So I took off the lid and upped the gentle simmer to a gentle rolling boil. After 2.5 hours I scooped off some of the liquid and then let the rest bubble along for another 1/2 hour. The final lot that I then decanted into the jars was probably still too liquid; but that's something I'll see in 2 or so months time?

I have an electric hob, so just wondering if cooking on gas would affect the cooking times?

And a totally different question - looking at some google images of the chutney, some are quite green and others are more brown (like mine is). What is this one meant to be like?
meriad

Re: Deb's recipe for green tomato chutney

Postby Workingman » 23 Oct 2016, 17:28

Ria, I just checked Deb's recipe and it is about 2kg (4.5lb) dry ingredients to roughly 850ml (1.5pt) fluid - 3:1 sounds about right.

The cooking is a bit of 'whatever works' unless you are going for perfect measures and temperatures using a thermometer. Debih hinted that once a line drawn across the pan doesn't flood back together then things should be fine.

As for the colour. Apples tend to oxidise and get a brown tint when left in the air, Bramleys are a nightmare - it could be part of the reason. You could spritz them with water and a little lemon juice, or in this case, as it is a one pot job, put them straight in the cooking fluid as each one is cored and chopped.
Workingman

Postby Kaz » 23 Oct 2016, 18:02

Ria your ingredients sound ok, but last year I ended up cooking mine in the slow cooker overnight, and then most of the next day, until it reduced. It was already fairly sticky and thick when I bottled it up. My chutney was very dark brown!
Kaz

Postby debih » 23 Oct 2016, 20:50

It takes forever to cook!

You could always pour it back into the pan and simmer it again.

And WM is right - when you can draw a line across the bottom of the pan and see the bottom for a could of seconds before it moves back, it's ready.
Life begins at the end of your comfort zone!
debih

Postby meriad » 23 Oct 2016, 21:01

Oh well, suspect I'll have a rather sloppy chutney come Christmas - at least it tasted OK. and I'm sure it'll be OK'ish with a chunk of cheese and a teaspoon

Debs, I really wasn't sure about it so come the three hours boiling mark I scooped off some of the liquid and then decanted into the jars and put them in the outside store area which is cool and dark. Next time I make it, I'll make sure to just leave it to bubble away for much much longer - I think this batch could have probably done with at least another hour.

But, saying all that, the recipe is really easy though so thanks for that - and I had huge fun making it and hopefully for a first attempt it won't be too bad. Will just make a note to self to not give it to anyone as a gift :lol: :lol: :lol:
meriad

Postby Kaz » 24 Oct 2016, 08:31

Maybe put it back in a pan and keep going? You'd end up with fewer jars, but it's worth it as the end result is so delicious! I was disappointed not to have any green toms this year to make it :(
Kaz

Postby meriad » 24 Oct 2016, 10:55

Kaz wrote:Maybe put it back in a pan and keep going? You'd end up with fewer jars, but it's worth it as the end result is so delicious! I was disappointed not to have any green toms this year to make it :(

Could I still do that? Even though it's now cooled down?
meriad

Postby Workingman » 24 Oct 2016, 11:36

meriad wrote:Could I still do that? Even though it's now cooled down?

Yes, but you have to reheat it slowly to bring it back up to temperature and then keep stirring till drawing the spoon across the pan thing works. You could also add one or teaspoonfuls of sugar and a squirt of lemon juice to help it along, but not too much.
Workingman

Postby meriad » 24 Oct 2016, 11:38

thanks - I'm out tonight so could only do it as of tomorrow

but just thinking - could I put it into the slow cooker and leave it overnight? :?
meriad

Postby Workingman » 24 Oct 2016, 12:11

No idea. :lol:

Kaz, 'Slow-cooker Queen', might know. ;)
Workingman

Next

Return to In The Kitchen