think it's OK to make these changes to a recipe?

For all your recipes, food and drink ideas and discussions

think it's OK to make these changes to a recipe?

Postby meriad » 16 Feb 2017, 13:42

https://www.rivercottage.net/recipes/ch ... with-cider

I had a friend come over last night and she bought dinner, above recipe. Really really yummy it was and - according to her - very quick simple to make; just takes that cooking time. So, I was wondering if I can do a typical Ria on it and make a two changes?

1. Use chicken thighs (either fillet or on the bone) instead of the chicken breast - I just prefer the softer meat as it's usually more flavour
2. Put it in a slow cooker - I'd have thought 4 or 5 hours on low should be more than enough for chicken thighs - maybe 4 for thigh fillet and 5 for on the bone?

What do you think?

And yes - one day; I'll follow the recipe as it's intended, but changes make adventurous eating :lol:
meriad

Re: think it's OK to make these changes to a recipe?

Postby Diflower » 16 Feb 2017, 14:47

The recipe uses chicken pieces, skin on, bone in.
So two things.
For the slow cooker I'd imagine on the bone might work best, since they need longer cooking time anyway.
But, if skin on, then you would need to brown them off first, to get rid of flabbiness and some of the fat.
No idea on timing but yes, not too long.

Away from the slow cooker I think thigh fillets would work perfectly :)
Diflower

Postby Workingman » 16 Feb 2017, 14:51

Ria, I always take a recipe as a guide rather than instructions to be followed to the letter, so no problem with tweaking things.

If you look at Jen's slow cooker thread you will see that I do similar using chicken leg and thigh quarters. The start is the same as the RC recipe where the chicken is dusted in seasoned flour and browned on all sides in a dash of hot oil before putting in the pot. I would do the mushrooms in the same pan with a knob of butter before putting them with the chicken and then deglaze the pan with the cider.

SC timings are very relaxed and 4 - 4½ hrs should be fine whether filleted or on the bone, but be careful with the fluid, no more than half way up the chicken should do.

To finish I would simply lift out the chicken and leave it to rest then pour the juices and mushrooms into a pan before adding the cream and mustard to heat through.
Workingman

Postby Kaz » 17 Feb 2017, 15:49

I'd be tempted to skin the thighs first, I think.
Kaz

Postby Workingman » 17 Feb 2017, 18:07

Kaz wrote:I'd be tempted to skin the thighs first, I think.

And lose all the flavour... noooo!
Workingman

Postby Kaz » 17 Feb 2017, 19:23

Thigh meat is quite flavoursome though, so I still would ;)
Kaz

Postby Workingman » 17 Feb 2017, 20:32

What is it with women and thighs? :P :P :P
Workingman

Postby meriad » 17 Feb 2017, 20:47

Frank, behave!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Kaz, I don't like chicken skin so will probably try this once with skin on (and then remove it before I eat it) and then also without. I agree re the flavour of thighs and same as you don't think it'll need the skin for flavour
meriad

Postby Workingman » 17 Feb 2017, 21:15

meriad wrote:Frank, behave!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

OK, I promise.... :P

However, from a culinary point of view, chicken skin, whether on thighs, breasts or whatever, does add flavour and nutrients. If you crisp it up before stewing (slow cooking) it does make a difference. Whether you then eat it is up to you.

My preference is to leave it on, crisp it up, then eat it; but I am not against taking it off, throwing it in the bin and having to add other flavours (chemical stock cubes) to make up for the loss of all the goodness mother nature provided us with when she designed her wonderful bird.

That's TIC, btw. ;) :D
Workingman

Postby Kaz » 17 Feb 2017, 21:48

:lol: :lol: :lol: I'm with you Ria.

Frank, taking the skin off chicken before cooking saves soooo many calories that it's second nature now ;)
Kaz

Next

Return to In The Kitchen