Tinned salmon

For all your recipes, food and drink ideas and discussions

Tinned salmon

Postby JanB » 08 Jun 2017, 09:23

I bought a tin of tinned salmon yesterday / ideas please ;)

I also have a load of lettuce, different leaves, from Antonia-s garden, so was thinking of just a fairly simple salad, steamed spuds and the dreaded salmon.
JanB

Re: Tinned salmon

Postby Diflower » 08 Jun 2017, 10:30

I don't do anything with it except eat it :)
In a sandwich or baguette, sometimes mashed with a little vinegar, others with mayo. And sliced cucumber.

Or mix with cooked new potatoes, a little French dressing, mayo if liked, and have with salad. Or plain with salad.
Diflower

Postby JanB » 08 Jun 2017, 11:15

That's because you like it Di ;)

I have cucumber, but I'll have to peel it - the Portuguese cucumber is very thick skinned :roll:
JanB

Postby Workingman » 08 Jun 2017, 12:00

I am with Di, apart from the vinegar bit, eugh.

Salmon salad sandwiches (plain or with mayo) or salmon salad on a plate.

And if you lack decorum, as I do, straight from the tin with a fork. :o :shock: :roll: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Workingman

Postby JanB » 08 Jun 2017, 12:27

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
JanB

Postby molly » 08 Jun 2017, 13:01

Workingman wrote:I am with Di, apart from the vinegar bit, eugh.

You have to add vinegar!! It makes all the difference.
molly

Postby TheOstrich » 08 Jun 2017, 13:15

Yes, just served with new potatoes and peas or salad. That's how my Mother used to serve it. Hold the mayo, mind you, that's for the tuna tins. :D

On a slightly adjacent tack, though, we've never had tinned salmon since the botulism scare all those years ago. And there has been enough bad press about farmed fish and lice of late that Scottish Loch salmon is off the menu as well, now. :|
TheOstrich

Postby JanB » 08 Jun 2017, 14:44

Thank for that Ossie :? :o :o :roll: :lol:
JanB

Postby Diflower » 08 Jun 2017, 15:18

JanB wrote:That's because you like it Di ;)

I have cucumber, but I'll have to peel it - the Portuguese cucumber is very thick skinned :roll:

Well yes I do, but it's not something you can disguise, if you really don't like it then don't eat it!
Diflower

Postby manxie » 08 Jun 2017, 16:54

A lot of the bad press is often made up news Ozzi I follow the fishing scene around the world and sales for scottish and norwegian farmed salmon is on the increase year on year as are lots of other farmed fish from many countries.

Quite honestly farmed fish is the way of the future as polution and global warming is playing havoc with the natural salmon runs that have been relied on for thousands of years in the past.

If we are to meet the world demands for fresh fish then there is no option.

I will eat anything that lives in the sea, fish and shellfish, and up till recently I always caught as much as I needed but I now need to buy my fish, I have fished all my life since I could walk almost but now ill health and a lack of local fish due to overfishing by the trawlers of all countries.......... we see boats from many eu countries passing the island slower than usual and know in the past many have had a net out and were fishing illegally taking anything they caught, some but not enough were caught and fined also never fined enough.

For too many years the waters round the UK have been abused and raped by too many so there are no breeding stocks left of many of our native species sadly.

I was on a committee with the Isle of Man government in the 70s and 80s and we tried then to get them to create no fishing zones and also create artificial reefs round the IOM to stop a lot of the "poaching" and over fishing which in turn would give the younger fish time to mature and breed and the juvenile fish a habitat but we were ignored and often told the fish will never run out.............

Time has spoken now and at last they have realised and only the last few years created a few no fishing zones but I feel it is too little too late and this is the reason we will have to rely on farmed fish in the future.

That is my little rant over but I hope a few will read it and realise how fragile our seas are and that they need love and they need to be cared for so support the industry by buying farmed fish as they are 100% sustainable

Manxie xx
manxie

Next

Return to In The Kitchen