Cooking Venison

For all your recipes, food and drink ideas and discussions

Re: Cooking Venison

Postby debih » 11 Mar 2013, 14:25

You aren't alone MM.

We often serve squirrel as a starter if we are having friends for dinner (you'd need too many of them to serve as a main course) and I always, always ask people first if they want to try it. If they say no, I always ask if they would prefer it not to be on the menu at all or if they just want an alternative.

One or two friends have opted not to try it but have been happy for it to be served - I just do them something different (although very often they are curious and end up having a nibble anyway).

But, everyone who has tried it does like it - it is a very inoffensive meat.
Life begins at the end of your comfort zone!
debih

Postby Fugitive » 11 Mar 2013, 17:34

miasmum wrote:Not sure I could eat squirrel either to be honest :? :?

Aren't they classed as Vermin? Rats with tails?
Fugitive

Postby Workingman » 11 Mar 2013, 17:37

Dabih wrote:But, everyone who has tried it does like it - it is a very inoffensive meat.

A lot of 'wild' meats are Debih.

I have eaten hedgehog done in clay, when on RAF training, different lizards when in the ME, and Moose in Canada. Some are better than others, but they are all a lot healthier, allegedly, than farmed meat.

Frog's legs, from Liege market, were a particular favourite.

Workingman

Postby Fugitive » 11 Mar 2013, 17:56

We used to cook and serve frog's legs in our restaurant in the 80's. They'd be delivered as pairs of chilled legs joined at the hips with no bodies in a large box from Bangledesh.

We'd separate the legs and wrap foil round their tiny ankles, for eating with fingers, and cook them in butter, garlic and parsley and serve 6/12 legs on a plate laid out in a clockwise direction. Very tasty with crusty bread to mop up the juices and extremely popular in an eighties kind of way.

I've eaten crocodile tail in Cambodia. It was delicious and obviously not the tail of a big, old gnarled crocodile but baby crocodiles bred for the table.
Fugitive

Postby Workingman » 11 Mar 2013, 18:13

The frog's legs in Liege came in a 'Y', three or four pairs to a cone, all done KFFL style. ;) :lol: Absolutely delish.
Workingman

Postby miasmum » 12 Mar 2013, 00:13

Nooooo not frogs legs
miasmum

Previous

Return to In The Kitchen