Perfect poached eggs

For all your recipes, food and drink ideas and discussions

Perfect poached eggs

Postby debih » 12 Mar 2013, 14:39

I love eggs and we eat lots in this household one way or another.

But my favourite way of having them is poached. However, I am absolutely rubbish at poaching them so rarely have them - usually just for breakfast if we have had a night away anywhere.

But a couple of weeks ago I nipped into the Co-Op instead of Sainsburys to do my shopping and came across some Poachies. I wouldn't normally have bothered buying any, assuming they were a gimmick but they were on offer (not that they were expensive in the first place) and I have to say - they really do work! Perfect poached eggs every time!!!

http://www.poachies.com/

I think Lakeland might sell them too.
Life begins at the end of your comfort zone!
debih

Re: Perfect poached eggs

Postby Diflower » 12 Mar 2013, 15:13

Yes Lakeland do those too :)
I'm rubbish at them as well, but just do them anyway! I've tried all sorts of methods/gadgets and microwaving.
Currently I have some silicone pouches, same as Lakeland ones (bot yours) but from the 99p shop - they're quite good.
Microwaving works quite well but it's definitely Russian roulette, there will be one explodes, obviously when you have no spares ;)
Diflower

Postby miasmum » 12 Mar 2013, 17:40

I have a poacher and my poached eggs are perfect but sadly my fingers are burnt
miasmum

Postby JoM » 12 Mar 2013, 17:58

Di, are those the little silicone dish shaped ones that you have? I keep seeing them in Dunelm whenever I go in and always wonder how good they are.

And The Charlatans and Johnny Marr one week later
JoM

Postby Workingman » 12 Mar 2013, 18:02

:D

Put enough water into a deep pan and boil. Break the egg into a small container - cup, pate dish. Swirl the water till there is a dip in the middle and plop the egg in. Fish out when the white is solid with a slotted spoon and dry on kitchen paper towels.

Done!
Workingman

Postby debih » 12 Mar 2013, 18:07

I know in theory HOW to do it - I just can't.

Either my eggs are all stringy or I end up with the yolk and the white separate! One blob of white and one blob of yolk. Not pleasant.

I have seen those silicone dish shaped things and wondered if they are any good. These poachies are great but you throw them away after use as they are made of paper. I think there are 20 in a packet.
Life begins at the end of your comfort zone!
debih

Postby Workingman » 12 Mar 2013, 18:20

It's like riding a bike Debs, once you master it... :D

In the meantime you could make loads of egg mayo sarnies with the 'disasters'. ;) :lol: :P
Workingman

Postby Diflower » 12 Mar 2013, 18:41

JoM wrote:Di, are those the little silicone dish shaped ones that you have? I keep seeing them in Dunelm whenever I go in and always wonder how good they are.

They're almost the same as these from Lakeland
http://www.lakeland.co.uk/14880/Yellow-poachpod

They do work, I never remember how long an egg takes to poach (longer than I think!) but it's better now I put a lid on the pan. With all these things you have to oil the container, it seems a faff when you should be able to just break an egg into the water.
Yeah, thanks WM, I never knew how to poach an egg :roll: :roll: :roll: We did say we'd tried and tried :evil: :lol:
Diflower

Postby Kaz » 12 Mar 2013, 18:42

I use my microwave gadget every time - it works ok for me :)
Kaz

Postby Workingman » 12 Mar 2013, 21:41

Diflower wrote:[Yeah, thanks WM, I never knew how to poach an egg :roll: :roll: :roll: We did say we'd tried and tried :evil: :lol:

Well I tried... and it was a doddle. ;) :P :P :P :lol: :lol: :lol:
Workingman

Next

Return to In The Kitchen