Little cheesy biscuits

For all your recipes, food and drink ideas and discussions

Little cheesy biscuits

Postby Diflower » 23 Mar 2013, 23:13

As requested :)
Recipe is from The Great British Bake Off: Learn to bake, by Linda Collister - with added notes by me in [ ] ;)
It's 'learn to bake' so there's a lot of detail which I'll repeat but it's dead simple. Hers are for big biscuits, maybe to have cheese on, mine are to eat on their own.

125g plain w/meal flour [I've used 50g plain white/75g strong w/meal, and 2nd time 75g plain white, 75g strong w/meal plus 2 teasp milk]
85g butter, cold
85g extra-mature cheddar, grated coarsely
1/2 teasp Worcester sauce

Put flour in mixing bowl; using a table knife, cut butter into small pieces and add to flour. Mix with hands until all butter pieces are coated in flour. Rub together until it looks like gravel.
Add cheese and Worcester sauce; use your hands to gently press and squeeze until thoroughly combined [2nd time I just chucked it all in the processor].
Tip onto worktop and shape into a log 10cm long, 6cm across [2nd time I made 2 logs about 1" square, hers are big; use a ruler to help make a good square, easier I found than making a round]
Wrap in clingfilm and chill in fridge for 1 hour (or freezer 10 mins or so). Can be kept in fridge 24 hours.

Preheat oven 180c/170 fan/gas 4.
Unwrap log, cut across into 12 even slices [I cut my logs into 42 slices about £1 coin thickness]. Lay on lined baking sheet/s and bake for 15-18mins [for my small ones, 8-10 mins], until turning golden brown around the edges.
Remove from oven and leave till cold before lifting from sheet/s. Store in airtight container and eat within 4 days.

My log has been in the freezer 2 weeks and will be cooked tomorrow, I'm sure it's fine but will let you know if not. I'd assume it would be ok for at least a month.
Another dangerous recipe ;)
Diflower

Re: Little cheesy biscuits

Postby Kaz » 24 Mar 2013, 10:27

8-) I'm not here - I am elsewhere reading about salads and lean protein :P :? :lol:
Kaz

Postby Diflower » 24 Mar 2013, 10:45

And soup Kaz - nice veggie soup :D

But as you see, half the dough went straight into the freezer, and is only coming out when we can take some as a pressie - otherwise it would have been next time eldest comes, he eats them too fast for me to overdo it :D
Diflower

Postby debih » 24 Mar 2013, 11:09

They sound lovely.

I'm going to have a hunt through the cupboards and see if I have enough flour.
Life begins at the end of your comfort zone!
debih

Postby JoM » 24 Mar 2013, 14:52

Dangerous? It sounds positively lethal!

Thankfully I'm out of wholemeal flour at the moment :lol:

And The Charlatans and Johnny Marr one week later
JoM

Postby Diflower » 24 Mar 2013, 23:09

We didn't take them to Sue's, we took the little ginger ones instead, enough for her to keep and hand out. She had crisps and olives and stuff, but we'd eaten and didn't want anything just then.

But I have to report, if you really fancy them (for instance, say, you've come home having shared a bottle of Champagne and are having another drink), then if the dough log is in the freezer, you can attack it with a serrated knife and get reasonably respectable little squares, which you can do while the oven is heating up...
And then you have to cook them for about 10 minutes, and then you have to wait for them to cool down a bit, but then they're really, really good, and you're quite upset but pleased at the same time that you could only be bothered to cut 16 dinky little slices... :oops: :D
Diflower

Postby JoM » 25 Mar 2013, 14:58

:lol: :lol: oh dear

And The Charlatans and Johnny Marr one week later
JoM

Postby Kaz » 25 Mar 2013, 16:20

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Kaz

Return to In The Kitchen