Any jam makers out there

For all your recipes, food and drink ideas and discussions

Any jam makers out there

Postby meriad » 07 Oct 2019, 10:36

I made a batch of tomato jam yesterday (very simple mix of tomato, white and brown sugar, ginger, chilli and lemon). It boiled for what seemed like ages (just over 2 hours) but still wasn't really thick when I decanted it into the jars. Because I need to make more tonight when I get home (have to use the tomatoes asap before they go off) I decided to order sugar with pectin in it vs normal sugar which will be delivered to work today.

But, this morning the jam seems to have set a bit, but still quite soft. So question is, should I try leave work a bit early and buy 'normal' sugar or can I still use the sugar with pectin? Nearly all recipes I looked at used normal sugar; how will the pectin affect the tomato jam?

Any ideas you clever people?

And then another moan / question is... a few recipes said to place the filled jars into a deep pot, cover with water, bring to the boil and boil for 15 mins and then leave to cool in the water. I think this is done so the jar seals really well the jam can keep longer? But when I put the jars into the pot and started filling with water two of the jars cracked (logic, hot glass with cold water - rookie error). So I quickly got the other jars out and filled with hot water; but still another one cracked before the water reached boiling point. I think that maybe the jars weren't the best but anyone ever done this boiling thing without any issues? Did I maybe screw on the lid too tight?
meriad

Re: Any jam makers out there

Postby JanB » 07 Oct 2019, 19:15

Ria, I have no idea, but will ask Jan - she makes it all the time
JanB

Postby meriad » 08 Oct 2019, 08:47

Well, I ended up using 2.5kg tomatoes with 2kg sugar with the added pectin; again left it to boil (but this time not long enough, that I do know - it was about an hour and a half). Anyway end result is similar to the first batch - still a bit runny, but because it wasn't boiled as long it's a much lighter colour. I shall persevere and give it another go at some point and bring more patience into the recipe and just leave it all to boil for as long as it needs.

Oh well as long as it tastes good ;-)
meriad

Postby Workingman » 08 Oct 2019, 10:32

OK, Ria, I sometimes make chutney, a sort of jam, or sweet / spiced pickle from onions, plums, crab apples, rose hips etc.

When using the sugar with pectin added I chop the fruit(?) then mix it with the sugar and leave it to work overnight. I also do not "boil" the mix but use a gentle rolling simmer and check the set by dropping some 'jam' on a cool plate - it takes as long as it takes. Alternatives to pectin sugar are things like lemon juice or crab apple peel and a bit of guesswork. I like lemon juice in the pickles for the sour hit as I am not a fan of vinegar. Not sure whether tomatoes need pectin, but it will not hurt.

My way of filling jars is to wash them and the lids in really hot soapy water then rinsed well with boiled water from the kettle. While still hot the jars only are placed on a tray in the oven at about 120 ºC and left till completely dry. Fill the hot jars with the hot jam and cover with a disk of greaseproof paper and leave to cool slightly before putting the lids on. As they cool further a good seal forms.

Don't put the lids in the oven or on really hot jars or you will knack the seals.

Good luck.
Workingman

Postby TheOstrich » 08 Oct 2019, 19:19

Workingman wrote:My way of filling jars is to wash them and the lids in really hot soapy water then rinsed well with boiled water from the kettle. While still hot the jars only are placed on a tray in the oven at about 120 ºC and left till completely dry. Fill the hot jars with the hot jam and cover with a disk of greaseproof paper and leave to cool slightly before putting the lids on. As they cool further a good seal forms.

This is the method Mrs O and her S used when making relish recently. You can buy proper Kilner jars, I suppose, but they're pretty expensive; Mrs O just recycled old chutney jars we'd originally bought from the supermarket.

In Mrs O's relish recipe, the requirement was for brown sugar. It did set OK, eventually!
TheOstrich

Return to In The Kitchen