Faggots anyone?

For all your recipes, food and drink ideas and discussions

Faggots anyone?

Postby Workingman » 16 Feb 2020, 22:31

I found some belly pork strips in the freezer I had got in to make some Chinese ribs and then forgot, so they needed using and for some reason faggots came to mind. The recipes I found were all over the place with some definitely not English country life ingredients, so I took the middle ground... I mean, what the hell is caul fat and who eats pigs heart?

450g of belly pork or 300g belly and 150g shoulder or pork chops with the bone removed
250g of liver. Now I do not like pork liver and I thought that lamb's liver would be too strong so I used chicken
75g porridge oats
1 chopped onion
1 tsp white pepper, oh, go on then, use black
½ tsp dried sage
½ tsp mace or nutmeg
½ tsp salt

Chop all the meat roughly into 1cm or 1/2 inch cubes and do the same to the onion. Don't be precise it's all going in the food processor. Put the oats in said processor and pulse till they are nearly like ready brek then add all the meats and onion and keep doing pulsing and running for 15 seconds cycles till the mix looks like rough mince.

Tip into a mixing bowl and add the spices and salt and give it a thorough kneading till they are all mixed. Cover and leave aside for an hour. At this point you could make gravy: see below.

Heat the oven to 160 to 170 ºC (320 to 340 ºF) Roll the mix into equal sized balls and place in a baking tin, pour in enough water to come just below ¼ of the way up the faggots - I got six. Drizzle the faggots with a drop of oil and / or lay strips of streaky bacon over them. Bake in the oven for one hour. Take the bacon off about 15 minutes before they are done to let them brown. Take the faggots out of the juices in the baking tin and set aside,

To eat them you will obviously need mash and peas and carrots, but you will also need gravy.

1 dsp cornflower
1 dsp water
3 knobs of butter
3 dsp of plain flour or roughly the same volume of the butter
200 ml each of chicken and beef stock
Hot water to deglaze the baking tin
Pepper

Mix the cornflower and water to a paste. In a saucepan melt the butter then add the plain flour and cook stirring constantly over medium heat till the mix starts to separate - about three minutes. Add the stocks, deglaze the baking tin and add that as well then keep cooking and stirring. Finally add the cornflower paste and a shake or two of pepper. Keep stirring till you get the consistency you want and you are done.

You could add chopped fried onion just as the flour is done and before the stock, just give them a mix in.
Workingman

Re: Faggots anyone?

Postby TheOstrich » 16 Feb 2020, 23:22

On my way! :D :D :D :D

And don't forget the mushy peas ….. :mrgreen:
TheOstrich

Return to In The Kitchen