Hot pepper sauce.

Olive oil
Chillies
Quality white vinegar - white wine, apple cider
Water
Sugar
Salt

It's all about taste not quantities so, for example:

A cupped handful of chillies. It does not matter what colour or what types, just use the ones you like. Take the stalks off and roughly chop them then gently fry in a saucepan in enough oil to so that you can always see the oil but without covering them. Keep going till they soften - 3 to 4 mins?. If the layer of chillies is, say, 1cm deep then pour in enough vinegar to take it to 2cm then gently reduce it back down till it just covers the chillies. Take off the heat.

Put the stuff in the pan into a blender or the whizzer thingy cup or bowl, or whatever it's called, along with the same amount of water as the vinegar you used and blitz, use the water to rinse out he blender thingy - 150ml vinegar = 150ml water for example. How chunky or fine you make it is up to you - I like mine med to fine.

Now put the stuff from the blender back into the pan and start to gently heat again, then comes the dangerous part! When it is starting to simmer reduce the heat right down and start to add the salt and sugar a bit at a time to taste. It is going to be HOT, peppery HOT, so be careful. When happy leave to cool a bit then decant into a sterilised bottle.

Use in stews, casseroles, dips, dressings, mayo or as a marinade to add heat without ruining the main flavours. One handful of chillies makes a small bottle and it keeps for about a month in the fridge.
Workingman

Re: Apropos my seedlings post on Cafe

Postby meriad » 02 Sep 2020, 16:31

and I was very kindly given some and wow, hot!!! but super delicious :D
meriad

Re: Apropos my seedlings post on Cafe

Postby Workingman » 02 Sep 2020, 17:59

One reply in over 800 views.... and I had to use the bribe of a free sample to get that! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Workingman

Return to In The Kitchen