Slim line starters and dessert ideas

For all your recipes, food and drink ideas and discussions

Slim line starters and dessert ideas

Postby JanB » 16 Sep 2020, 18:58

I'm planning ahead, just in case ;)

There will be four of us going out for Grumpy's birthday next month, as long as the infections don't get too bad here.

I did asparagus wrapped in presunto last time so need something else. And I'm rubbish at desserts anyway :oops: :lol: I only know full fat one's and I can't do that as Jan is on a rather strict diet. She' willing to let it go, slightly, but not too much.

Grateful for any ideas, just in case we don't go out.
JanB

Re: Slim line starters and dessert ideas

Postby Workingman » 18 Sep 2020, 16:28

I think starters should be simple and not spicy, something like stuffed large mushrooms, beef tomatoes or sweet red peppers. The stuffing can be anything simple, risotto, egg fried rice, halloumi and couscous. You get the idea.

Desserts should be to clean the palate IMO. Key lime pie, cheesecake, fruit sorbets / gelato, trifle etc. Stay away from stodge like brownies, sticky toffee hell and anything with chocolate in it.

Hairy bikers modified fried rice to stuff peppers, toms etc. Fill them up and pop them in the oven for about 15 mins.

2 egg omelette

2 Tbs oil, for frying
1 garlic clove, chopped
3/4 tsp Sichuan peppercorns (optional)
1 tsp Chinese 5-spice powder
150g cooked rice left to go cold
1/2 tin of small shrimps
60g cooked peeled prawns
100g cooked chicken cubed same size as the prawns
4 spring onions, sliced at an angle
soy sauce
salt (if needed or another splash of soy)
freshly ground pepper
splash of hoisin sauce (optional)

Make the omelette, leave to cool, roll and cut into thin strips

Heat the oil in a pan / wok and cook the garlic till crisp then add the other ingredients one at a time giving each a stir as they go in. Finally add the egg to heat through. Apart from the spring onions everything else is already cooked so it only takes a few mins then you can fill up peppers / toms with the hot mix.

Low(er) fat key lime pie.

500g cream cheese (softened at room temperature)
400 ml sweetened condensed milk (1 can)
Lime juice (2 large limes or 2 to 3 Tbs juice)
Zest of 1 lime
Bashed up hobnobs or digestives mixed with soft butter.

Make the biscuit base.

Add softened cream cheese, sweetened condensed milk, lime juice and 2/3 of the lime zest to a large mixing bowl, and beat on high until smooth and creamy (about 4 minutes). Pour over the base an leave to set. Sprinkle with the remaining zest and add slices of lime. Eat.

Good luck.

BTW that fried rice is a meal on its own and goes well with just a Chinese curry sauce.
Workingman

Postby Kaz » 18 Sep 2020, 17:29

I might try that key lime recipe Frank :) Thinking with my SW hat on you can even get reduced sugar digestives now, and I think lower fat cream cheese might work 8-)
Kaz

Postby Workingman » 18 Sep 2020, 18:42

Kaz, given that it is a no-bake recipe I cannot see a problem. I have used crème fraîche and mascarpone in other cheesecakes before and they are more than OK. And you can substitute double cream with Elmlea in other no-bake cheesecakes to keep the fat content down.
Workingman

Postby JanB » 18 Sep 2020, 20:29

Thanks WM, but neither Jan or I like peppers. Will look to see what I can get, cheese wise.
JanB

Postby Workingman » 18 Sep 2020, 20:47

So get some of those massive tomatoes you have over there, the ones the size of Galia melons, and use those instead. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Workingman

Postby Kaz » 19 Sep 2020, 16:42

Workingman wrote:Kaz, given that it is a no-bake recipe I cannot see a problem. I have used crème fraîche and mascarpone in other cheesecakes before and they are more than OK. And you can substitute double cream with Elmlea in other no-bake cheesecakes to keep the fat content down.

8-) 8-) 8-)
Kaz

Postby JanB » 19 Sep 2020, 17:43

Can't get Elmlea here and I'm not a lover of tomatoes either :oops: :lol:

Although Grumpy thinks we should be okay for eating out.

But then, I've still got C word to get through :roll: Only six this year, Mitch has been banned from eating here, unless he's sober.
JanB

Return to In The Kitchen