Bread makers

For all your recipes, food and drink ideas and discussions

Bread makers

Postby JanB » 16 Dec 2020, 20:22

Been thinking about getting one of these.

I know a few of you have them.

Any thoughts?
JanB

Re: Bread makers

Postby debih » 17 Dec 2020, 00:14

I use mine at least twice a week. Never buy bread or pizza dough.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Life begins at the end of your comfort zone!
debih

Postby JanB » 17 Dec 2020, 09:34

I suppose it depends on make too.

Talking to a fried, she does use bread flour for naan breads.
JanB

Postby Workingman » 17 Dec 2020, 11:24

Had one ---- binned it.

It is just as easy to bung all the stuff in a bowl, mix it with bread hooks on a hand mixer, leave it to rise, knock it back, shape into a cob or bloomer, let it rise again and bung it in the oven. I suppose that if you are a fan of square bread you could always cook it in a bread tin. A spray of water before cooking will give it a good crust as will a tray of water in the bottom of the oven.

IMHO B-Ms are just another huge space taker on the worktop or in a cupboard.

I always make my own pizza dough and freeze it in 10" pizza sized portions.
Workingman

Postby Workingman » 17 Dec 2020, 11:40

For naans I use a 50:50 mix of bread flour and natural yoghurt with a pinch of baking powder and salt. If yours is too dry or wet you can make adjustments as you go along.

Bung it all in a bowl, get your hands in and give it a good mix and knead, split into balls (slightly smaller than a tennis ball) and roll out to about 5 mm - ¼" thick, then give 'em 2 mins per side in a hot pan.
Workingman

Postby cruiser2 » 17 Dec 2020, 17:13

My mother used to bake bread once a week. I can remember going to a little shop to buy yeast whic was cut off a big block. Loved to watch the dough rise
as it was left in a very big bowl before being cut and placed in bread bins to be cooked in the oven.
Itwas delicious.
cruiser2

Postby JoM » 18 Dec 2020, 13:10

Workingman wrote:For naans I use a 50:50 mix of bread flour and natural yoghurt with a pinch of baking powder and salt. If yours is too dry or wet you can make adjustments as you go along.

Bung it all in a bowl, get your hands in and give it a good mix and knead, split into balls (slightly smaller than a tennis ball) and roll out to about 5 mm - ¼" thick, then give 'em 2 mins per side in a hot pan.

Going to give that a try, cheers Frank :D

And The Charlatans and Johnny Marr one week later
JoM

Postby Workingman » 18 Dec 2020, 15:48

Jo, first time try 350 g flour and 350 ml yoghurt to 1/2 tsp baking powder and salt, you can add chopped garlic and coriander to the basic mix for that classic taste or a pinch of chilli flakes for hot naans or make Peshwari, my faves:-

2 Tbs desiccated coconut
1 dsp (or more) sugar - to taste
30ml cream or full milk
cupped palm of almond flakes
cupped palm of sultanas

Pulse in a blender to make a very grainy paste or roughly chop the almonds and sultanas on a board then bring everything together in a bowl.

Take a ball of naan dough and make a shallow dent in the centre with your thumb - about twice its width. Fill almost to the top with the paste then draw up and seal the sides of the rim and make into a ball again. Roll out and cook as with plain naan. As with all naans just keep flipping till cooked through.

Always brush naans while hot with melted butter before serving.
Workingman

Return to In The Kitchen