Bread makers

For all your recipes, food and drink ideas and discussions

Bread makers

Postby JanB » 25 Mar 2021, 19:29

Was chatting to jackie earlier and she has had a Panasonic breadmaker for years.

I quite fancy getting one as some of the bread here is pretty dire.

Any-one have one? Any make better than others?

I won't be able to order from England, but from Spain or Germany seems to work well with Amazon. Or I could try Worten,
JanB

Bread makers

Postby debih » 25 Mar 2021, 21:05

I’ve only ever had a Panasonic and I love it. It’s donkeys years old.

Sometimes I make a full loaf in it (start to finish), other times I just use it to do the dough and finish it in the oven.

It makes the best pizza dough ever.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Life begins at the end of your comfort zone!
debih

Re: Bread makers

Postby JanB » 25 Mar 2021, 21:28

Yes, she said it makes lovely pizza dough. Also for naan breads.

I've looked, but can't find Panasonic here.

I'll have to investigate further ;)
JanB

Postby Workingman » 28 Mar 2021, 18:29

The best bread makers ever invented are on the ends of your arms: use them. Honestly. The best ever pizza or bread dough in ten minutes. Most of the time spent making bread is waiting for the dough to rise and then baking it, for the rise it matters not one jot if it is in a bowl with a damp towel thrown over or in some fancy £costly kitchen space stealing gizmo.

From my Allinson bread book:

225mi warm water
25g soft butter or 25 ml oil
1.5 tsp sugar
1.5 tsp salt
450g strong white flour
Sachet / 1 tsp of dried yeast.

Mix, knead for 10 mins, leave to rise to double the size then knock back and leave to rise again.

Plop in tin or make a rustic loaf and cook in a preheated oven at 220 for five mins then turn down to 200 to finish - 25 to 30 mins. Spray with water for a crusty loaf.

If making pizzas don't bother with the second rise just knock back and make the bases. You can freeze the dough after the first rise in pizza sized portions for use any time. Works every time for me.
Workingman

Postby JanB » 28 Mar 2021, 20:36

Thanks WM, but I don't do pizzas and I certainly don't use the oven when it's hot. And with arthritic hands, wrists, kneading is not as easy as it was.
JanB

Postby Workingman » 29 Mar 2021, 07:03

JanB wrote:I certainly don't use the oven when it's hot.

Shame. I have found that it only cooks things when it's hot, otherwise it is just a store for pans and things. ;) :D
Workingman

Postby JanB » 29 Mar 2021, 07:34

:lol:
JanB

Postby meriad » 18 May 2021, 18:58

Jan, I've got an amazing no knead bread recipe, but it does need a cast iron / heavy enamel type pot for baking - but I'm sure you'll be able to find one somewhere.
Along the lines of.... (if you are / anyone is interested in trying let me know and I'll send you the proper recipe)

400gr bread flour
4gr yeast
7gr salt (I always put more than I should)
300ml room temperature water

mix it all together in a bowl - it's quite a sticky mess but doesn't require kneading. Cover with clingfilm and leave somewhere at room temperature (well cool where you are :D ) for 18!!!! hours. After 18 hours empty onto a slightly floured surface, flatten a bit and fold it on itself 2x dust with flour and leave for 15 mins covered with the clingfilm . At this point the recipe says to put into a bread basket but I'm sure you can make do without if you just have another container? cover with a clean tea towel and leave for another 2 hours.... preheat oven to 220 degrees, put cast iron pot into oven whilst it's warming up. once temperature is reached put bread into pot, lid on and bake for 30 mins. after 30 mins remove lid and bake for another 30 mins

takes a long time, but very little effort involved. And it's the best bread ever!!!!
meriad

Postby JanB » 18 May 2021, 22:29

Thank you Ria x
JanB

Return to In The Kitchen