slow cooker induction hob

For all your recipes, food and drink ideas and discussions

slow cooker induction hob

Postby miasmum » 07 Dec 2021, 14:43

My loyal old slow cooker is about ready for the tip, the thermostat has about gone and food stick to the bottom of the ceramic inner dish.

I would like one that you can brown the meat in then cook, but it needs to be compatible with an induction hob.

I just nearly bought one on Amazon and then saw in the reviews it wasnt compatible.

Can anyone recommend one please?
miasmum

Re: slow cooker induction hob

Postby Workingman » 07 Dec 2021, 20:14

Is there such a thing, especially for induction hobs?

My ancient Crock-Pot can be used to sear on an electric or gas hob but not induction, and I prefer a separate pan - a big, heavy, cast aluminium job.
Workingman

Postby Workingman » 08 Dec 2021, 16:34

With few responses I got intrigued by this.

Induction hobs need a ferrous (iron) pot to be able to work. OK, so there are stainless steel versions, cast iron ones, composite ones, even glass ones with a magnetised base - if a magnet sticks you are good to go, anything else, aluminium, copper, ceramic, forget it.

Then came the intriguing part. Induction hobs are so precise regarding temperature you do not need a slow cooker - the hob will do it for you in your casserole dish.

You can sear / sauté in the pot then turn it down and slow cook just like you can with a multi-million £ trad slow cooker. One pot cooking - nothing else needed. Do the searing / sautéing, set the temp and time then sod off.

Apparently you can "roast" a chicken or a joint - not canna or marij, they need to be moist to roll - to perfection
Workingman

Postby miasmum » 08 Dec 2021, 21:27

My last induction hob which was a De Dietrich may well have done WM but this Whirlpool one is complete and utter c**p. It puts itself up, down, or off for no reason. You cant leave it to boil potatoes so I certainly wouldn't want to risk my beef casserole
miasmum

Return to In The Kitchen