Air Fryers

For all your recipes, food and drink ideas and discussions

Re: Air Fryers

Postby Workingman » 16 Nov 2023, 14:12

It does not have pre-heat settting - if that's a thing.

If I turn it on as I am doing something like an egg wash of a pie or topping a lasagne to finish them off then by the time I put the food in - a couple of mins at most - it cooking hot. I just take the tray out, plonk whatever I am cooking on it and shove it back in.

At 20l its capacity is similar to that of a large air fryer if that helps.

It took a while getting used to because I tended to leave food in for the same length of time as a "normal" oven and some things got burnt due to the fan and the higher temps. And I have to beware of which heating setting(s) I am using - top. bottom or both. Fortunately it has a glass door and a lamp so I can do things by eye if I want to.
Workingman

Postby Kaz » 16 Nov 2023, 14:30

Ria, mine heats up extremely quickly - much more so than my oven.
Kaz

Postby saundra » 07 Jan 2024, 17:51

Advice needed I'm looking at airfryers I can get one from wayfair online for under £40-- which I like only one draw
But can I cook things from,frozen??
I did have a. Halogen one years ago never got on with it and it was to big gave to a charity shop a few months ago in a kitchen clear out
saundra

Postby Workingman » 09 Jan 2024, 12:11

Well, Saundra, if you absolutely must have one of these infernal gadgets then yes you can cook from frozen.... just as you can with any other cooking method. The same rules apply; the bigger the frozen thing the longer the cooking time.

If you search for "Air fryers, can I cook from frozen?" you will get plenty of tips and recipes.

The other day there was a programme on C5: Microwaves v Air Fryers. Over six rounds of cooking different things from scratch the Air Fryer came out on top by one point, but only because it beat the microwave on a social media vote on who liked which the most, not because it was better at cooking things. It was evens with the cooking.
Workingman

Postby Kaz » 09 Jan 2024, 20:47

I cook from frozen in mine, Saundra
Kaz

Postby Workingman » 09 Jan 2024, 23:41

Got to say that I am NOT against Air Fryers - just the hype. My mini oven with an enamelled tray and wire rack is now marketed as an Air Fryer oven. It heats to 230°C, has a fan and light, a 60 minute timer, enamelled tray, wire rack, and heats from above and below or both.

I use it all the time and I wouldn't be without it. I do spatchcock chicken, chicken quarters, wings, small joints, pies, pizzas, lasagne, cannelloni, chops, etc. I haven't used the main oven in 15 years or more. Mind you, I would not be without my slow cooker for braising, casseroles and stews.

I got a silicon tray for fries, once known as chips, and it comes in handy for other things as well. BTW, did you know that frozen "fries" (the most popular air fryer food) have already been flash fried in oil? Inside the Factory said so, and McCain's site confirms it. Just give them an extra spray for that traditional "healthy" cooking sensation, eh?

But... I can see "dedicated" Air Fryers joining the George Foreman grill along with soup makers, rice cookers and pasta makers in the dark corners of the lower cupboards in the years to come, at least for family cooking. Soup maker = pan. Rice cooker = pan. Pasta maker = board and rolling pin. Air fryer = single people cooking fries after a night out.

You're welcome.
Workingman

Postby saundra » 16 Jan 2024, 21:48

Brought one today a tower make :lol:
saundra

Postby meriad » 17 Jan 2024, 14:40

Mine is a Tower Saundra, and I really like it. It's an oven type, not one with drawers to pull open.
meriad

Postby Osc » 22 Jan 2024, 10:39

Don’t know how I missed this thread! We have a two drawer Ninja and it gets used most days. One huge benefit is not having to preheat it. It certainly is badly named, the word “fryer” put Edward off getting one for some time. We follow a few air fryer pages on FB and are astonished at the ridiculous questions asked. Basically, if you can put it in the oven, you can put it in the air fryer. It’s ideal for one or two people and I’ve definitely noticed a drop in our electricity bill.
Osc

Previous

Return to In The Kitchen