Air Fryers

For all your recipes, food and drink ideas and discussions

Air Fryers

Postby cruiser2 » 13 Nov 2022, 11:11

Has anybody got an air fryer? THey seem to be all the rage at the moment. Ninja are very prominent as being one of the best

I am thinking of getting one. I know I only cook for myself. Having one with two drawers would mean I could cook meat and veg at the same time.

Any suggestions greatly appreciated. I either roast or frymost meat now.
cruiser2

Re: Air Fryers

Postby JanB » 13 Nov 2022, 20:52

I have one Cruiser and use it a lot.

I only bought the bog standard cheapo one from a local shop, just to try it and see, but would defo go for a Ninja next time.

There are some which do all sorts of stuff, but I'm happy enough with mine, and it really helps keeping the weight down, if you eat chips.

Just amke sure you use good quality oil and only a very small amount.
JanB

Postby Kaz » 13 Nov 2022, 21:49

I have one, but it only has one drawer. I use an oil spray, Jan's right you need very, very little oil.
Kaz

Postby TheOstrich » 13 Nov 2022, 21:59

We've thought about it (and Mrs O was one number off winning one in a raffle recently :evil: ), but it's "yet another kitchen appliance" and to be honest we've nowhere to put it.

That's not to say they're not useful things, and if it suits your needs, Cruiser ......
TheOstrich

Postby Workingman » 13 Nov 2022, 22:03

I have a small worktop fan oven (20L) also described as an air-fryer, it is about the same size as a microwave oven. Temperature range is 100 - 230 ºC with three heat functions - grill/toast, roast and bake.

It will do a medium chicken (1.5kg) and veg / baked potatoes in one go. I also do four-portion sized stews, lasagne, chilli-con-carne, spagbol etc. One to eat, one for the fridge for a couple of days later, and two for the freezer.

I hardly use any oil - I am only 2/3 the way down a litre bottle I bought when it became scarce about three or four months ago.
Workingman

Postby JanB » 14 Nov 2022, 20:43

My bottle has lasted almost a year WM, still some at the bottom.

Had chips tonight, as well as samosas, both done in the air fryer.

Used a brush on the samosas and less that a teaspoon of oil on the chips.
JanB

Postby Workingman » 16 Dec 2022, 16:43

The air fryer oil thing is a sales pitch and a con. You can use less oil in any type of oven, not only in an AF.

The term 'air fryer' is also a con. It is a micro sized roasting oven. In earlier centuries we called them Dutch ovens. They concentrated the fire heat in a small space to cook things quicker. There is nothing new under the sun, but give it a catchy and fancy name and we fall for it.

Mugs.
Workingman

Postby meriad » 15 Nov 2023, 14:09

Cruiser, this documentary was on channel 4 on Monday; not sure you saw it?
https://www.channel4.com/programmes/air ... y-worth-it

see if you can do a replay as it may help you figure out if one is for you or not. I have one and use it quite a bit; it saves heating up the oven for just a single pizza etc....
meriad

Postby Workingman » 15 Nov 2023, 17:23

Ria, I watched it (for the second time) and it was in no way 'scientific' nor impartial. Everything was slanted in favour of the misnamed "air fryers" such as cooking one roast potato in a small 'fryer' box compared to doing one spud in a huge family sized oven to prove that the small box was cheaper to run. Like comparing a Fiesta with an articulated lorry.

And being totally honest some of the food looked less than appetising. Chips that were half burnt and half cooked - from the same machine, on the same plate - a tikka-masala curry that was bone dry and served with still hard (undercooked) rice. Then there was the disgusting omelette - why? Why heat a box to 'air fry' an omelette when one can be done in a frying pan in about a minute!?

I have a 20l Andrew James mini oven with fan that does a lot more and takes up no more space than a decent sized air fryer. I have not used the main oven for years.
Workingman

Postby meriad » 16 Nov 2023, 12:16

Not going to disagree, but it did give ideas of different options

Workingman wrote:I have a 20l Andrew James mini oven with fan that does a lot more and takes up no more space than a decent sized air fryer. I have not used the main oven for years.

as a matter of interest, does it require preheating?
meriad

Next

Return to In The Kitchen