Ice cream maker

For all your recipes, food and drink ideas and discussions

Ice cream maker

Postby Paddypix » 01 May 2013, 19:22

When I was at my son's in England the other day, they had home made icecream after dinner. It was made in an icecream maker which was a Christmas gift and it was totally delicious. Being a gadgetty sort of person, I went online and bought one right away. It hasn't arrived yet but I can't wait to get making. Do any of you have one, and do you have recipe ideas? The one my son made was shortbread and blackcurrant. Yum.
Paddypix

Re: Ice cream maker

Postby Workingman » 01 May 2013, 19:52

Oh you lucky thing!

I found this one from Fugi from a while back. It is dead easy to make and is totally delicious. I am sure the maker will do a fine job of it.

Separate three eggs. Beat the yolks and a pint of double cream together until thickened. Add whatever you want. Pureed strawberries, melted chocolate, chopped nuts, Camp coffee, banana. The list is endless. Add sugar to taste. I didn't add sugar to any sweet fruit. Add brandy, whiskey if you want. Whisk the egg whites into soft peaks. Blend the whisked egg whites into the cream mix. Put in freezer. This mix doesn't need to be stirred as ice crystals don't form in it.

I make it with cane sugar and have done rum and raisin by soaking the raisins overnight in a drop of rum and adding the whole lot to the mix. A drop of Bailey's goes well, but my fave at the moment is lemon zest and a tub of candied peel.
Workingman

Postby debih » 01 May 2013, 20:08

I have an ice cream maker that my sister bought me a couple of years ago. I made lovely ice cream from the recipe book that was included (now lost).

I didn't use it at all last year - mainly due to lousy weather and no one fancying ice cream! I am determined to use it again this year.

Fugi's recipe looks fab - I like the sound of it with Baileys. Do you have the shortbread and blackcurrant recipe PP?
Life begins at the end of your comfort zone!
debih

Postby Workingman » 01 May 2013, 20:16

Debih, even without an ice-cream maker it is the easiest recipe I have ever used..... all that is needed is a plastic tub for to put it in the freezer.
Workingman

Postby Lozzles » 01 May 2013, 20:27

Rhubarb crumble ice cream :D It's delicious :D
http://www.deliaonline.com/recipes/type ... cream.html
Lozzles

Postby Paddypix » 01 May 2013, 20:57

Lemon zest sounds just up my street and so does the rhubarb crumble. I'll be having a go at both of those when my maker arrives.

Debih, I'll ask my son for the shortbread and blackcurrant recipe and post it.
Paddypix

Postby Rodo » 01 May 2013, 21:09

I;ve had one for ten years. It was a retirement present. I have used it once!
Rodo

Postby Paddypix » 01 May 2013, 21:10

Well dig it out and get using. :D You can make frozen yogurt and sorbets in it too.
Paddypix

Postby debih » 01 May 2013, 22:10

Mine isn't a fancy one.

Just one from Lakeland that you put in the freezer before you use it.. I keep it in there.
Life begins at the end of your comfort zone!
debih

Postby Rodo » 01 May 2013, 22:22

I don't eat raw eggs - ever, so some of those recipes won't do for me.

I did see one where someone just bought a tub of ready made custard and some cream and combined those two, but I have no idea of quantities.

I think I will dig mine out and try with it. We only buy Mackies ice cream because I hate the cheaper ones and Mackies is so expensive now.
Rodo

Next

Return to In The Kitchen