Electric or Gas

For all your recipes, food and drink ideas and discussions

Electric or Gas

Postby cruiser2 » 15 Nov 2023, 09:34

I have an electric four ring hob which is over ten years old. Could be nearly 20 years as I am sure we had it when I retired.

I am thinking of getting a new one. I have seen a four ring gas unit. It would mean having a gas pipe connected from the gas meter which would add to the cost.

The alternative is a new electric four ring hob. This is twce the price of the gas one but would just be a straight replacement. It may require me to get new pans.

Which do you use and prefer?
cruiser2

Re: Electric or Gas

Postby JanB » 15 Nov 2023, 12:08

Gas hob for me, but in your case, I'd just go with the electric replacement.
JanB

Postby meriad » 15 Nov 2023, 13:03

Cruiser, go with electric induction... I'd not go with gas for a number of reasons

a) gas scares the bejeesus out of me; what happens if you accidentally switch a knob and gas starts leaking and you aren't aware
b) gas isn't a renewable energy source
c) gas still scares the bejeesus out of me

I went from regular electric to induction and have not looked back. It's quick, the glass is easy to keep clean
meriad

Postby JanB » 15 Nov 2023, 13:33

meriad wrote:what happens if you accidentally switch a knob and gas starts leaking and you aren't aware

Can-t happen on the new hobs Ria. You have to ignite it, before the gas comes out. I can twiddle me knobs to my hearts content when cleaning and nothing comes out.
JanB

Postby TheOstrich » 15 Nov 2023, 14:51

We have a gas hob, but I'd agree with Jan, Cruiser - go for simplicity and (crucially) what you are used to.
TheOstrich

Postby meriad » 15 Nov 2023, 15:31

JanB wrote:
meriad wrote:what happens if you accidentally switch a knob and gas starts leaking and you aren't aware

Can-t happen on the new hobs Ria. You have to ignite it, before the gas comes out. I can twiddle me knobs to my hearts content when cleaning and nothing comes out.

but surely you need the gas to be coming out to ignite it? :?
meriad

Postby Workingman » 15 Nov 2023, 17:15

Cruiser, a quick check shows that some induction hobs by Indesit, Hoover, ElectriQ and so on are about the same price as some better gas hobs - £200 to £240 ish. Here's one place.

if you are going for an induction hob, and I would because they are easier to clean, then you need to check out the pans you will / might need to replace. It's easy. If a (strong) magnet sticks to the base they are fine.

Ria, some newer hobs have a combined igniter / solenoid switch. The igniter needs to be clicking otherwise the gas solenoid stays shut.
Workingman

Postby Kaz » 15 Nov 2023, 19:08

I prefer a gas hob and an electric fan oven.
Kaz

Postby JanB » 15 Nov 2023, 19:21

Workingman wrote:Ria, some newer hobs have a combined igniter / solenoid switch. The igniter needs to be clicking otherwise the gas solenoid stays shut.

Quite right WM.

Kaz wrote:I prefer a gas hob and an electric fan oven.

Quite right Kaz, just what I have.

As an aside, we have a hotter gas, as we get colder winters and I really don't like it. Much prefer the one we used to have in the Algarve, but hey ho.
JanB

Postby miasmum » 16 Nov 2023, 00:10

We had a De Detricht induction hob and I loved it. After about 20 years it went wrong so we replaced it with a Whirlpool make because it fitted. I absolutely HATE it. If as much as a spot of water gets on it, it turns itself off. Occasionally it turns itself up and down. So I cant leave it, not boiling at egg, boiling potatoes, nothing. I have to stand with it.

Yes I love induction, Luke has a Belling cooking with an induction hob its great.

By all means go for induction, but do not have a Whirlpool
miasmum

Next

Return to In The Kitchen