Healthy packed lunch ideas

For all your recipes, food and drink ideas and discussions

Healthy packed lunch ideas

Postby debih » 01 Jan 2014, 14:02

I am rubbish at packed lunches. I do them for Mick and S every day but they always have a sandwich, pack of crisps, choc bar and a couple of pieces of fruit. I never fancy my sandwich (I think because I make them the night before) and end up going to the shop below our office.

I only have lunch at work two days a week and eat at my desk as I don't actually take a break (means I can finish at 2.30pm). I have access to a fridge, microwave and toaster.

In the summer I have salad and I often take soup in the winter but a bowl of soup never fills me up and I then end up snacking when I get home.

Any ideas - must be quick and easy!
Life begins at the end of your comfort zone!
debih

Re: Healthy packed lunch ideas

Postby Kaz » 01 Jan 2014, 15:14

Rice cakes and cheese with the soup - I often have that for lunch in the winter :) The cheese makes it more filling, being protein.... :)
Kaz

Postby Ally » 01 Jan 2014, 16:26

If you have time Debih..and room in your freezer..how about doing a batch of pasta with peppers, mushrooms, etc and then freeze them into little Tupperware dishes.
You could take one out in the morning and zap it in the microwave at work?

Pitta breads are really quick to prepare in the morning..pre-cooked chicken, ham or cheese, etc and filled with crunchy salad.

Pasta salad.

Asian chicken salad.

Home made soups..lentil, tomato, etc with a nice crunchy baguette.

Or any time you're making the family meal just make a bit more and freeze into 'lunchtime portions' for yourself.

Hope this helps. x
Ally
Site Admin

Postby tonicha » 01 Jan 2014, 17:11

Good ideas Ally - I used to do those when I was working.

Pasta can get a bit boring, but just add bits and bobs as you go on and soups are brilliant. As Ally said, just make a bit more for you.

Grumpy used to take soup every day for work, especially in the winter, as it is really cold on a building site :oops:
tonicha

Postby Ally » 01 Jan 2014, 17:24

Mmmm pasta, chorizo, peppers, mushrooms, sweetcorn...nommity nom :lol: :lol: :lol:
Ally
Site Admin

Postby Workingman » 01 Jan 2014, 17:33

I had this thing about Melba toast or cream crackers with butter and some form of spread - pate, potted beef, Primula..... The butter and spread were kept in a couple of those tiny jars you get jam in at some hotels.

I also used to make a big bowl of fruit cocktail from tins of grapefruit, pineapple and peach slices with fresh fruit, usually red grapes, and one from apple, pear or melon. It keeps for about a week in a covered bowl in the fridge. A portion a day was enough.

And I would make breakfast bars and take a couple of those in as well.
Workingman

Postby miasmum » 01 Jan 2014, 20:05

Have you got a toaster at work? I take crumpets and low fat philly
miasmum

Return to In The Kitchen