I'm in love...

For all your recipes, food and drink ideas and discussions

I'm in love...

Postby Diflower » 02 Feb 2014, 22:07

With the Hairy Bikers curry book :D
Bb bought it for me for my birthday, and tonight we had the first meal from it, dictated by what I had to be used, which was an aubergine and a bag of spinach.
So, aubergine & tomato curry, and saag aloo :) Blimey, they were gorgeous!

Even better probably as, having checked both recipes oh so carefully earlier, when it came to garam masala there was only a teaspoonful in the jar :shock: I needed about 3 - but the book has a recipe for it :D
So Bb was on garam masal duty - not quite properly as we couldn't spare the space/hob space/frying pan for toasting, so used ground spices for some of it. But it smelt fantastic :D

The two dishes went together really well, completely different but complimented each other perfectly.
We also had cheapo Tesco onion bhajis (the 1st thing I did from the book was their onion bhajis, which are brill, but too much work with everything else), and naan, yoghurt, lime pickle & mango chutney :)

One of the book reviews said their recipe for saag aloo was worth buying the book for :D
Diflower

Re: I'm in love...

Postby Ally » 02 Feb 2014, 22:13

I love curry recipe books Di so I'm going to buy this one. :D :D :D

ETA I always order saag aloo when I'm in an Indian restaurant. :P :P
Ally
Site Admin

Postby Diflower » 02 Feb 2014, 22:36

It's a lovely read Ally, there are plenty there that I shall work through :)
Saag or saag aloo is a favourite of mine too, but then I'm happy to just eat spinach with anything, cooked or raw :)

Ooh, that just reminded me of a boyfriend, isn't it funny how that happens :D
Diflower

Postby Workingman » 02 Feb 2014, 22:58

Diflower wrote:Saag or saag aloo is a favourite of mine...................
Ooh, that just reminded me of a boyfriend, isn't it funny how that happens :D

Let's not go there.... :P

I make loads of curries, of all sorts, and if you can get any books by Madhur Jaffrey, Ken Hom or Ching He-Huang then get them.

I have pinched some of the Hairy Bikers' versions from the 'web' and they have been fantastic. Their lamb vindaloo is the best ever.
Workingman

Postby Diflower » 03 Feb 2014, 00:25

Well actually, what I hadn't had time to mention was that I spent some of my birthday money today :D

WH Smith have a funny turn once in a while - Bb spotted the huge River Cottage Meat book in there for a fiver one day and grabbed it for me. And today was one of those days, they had a whole display of cookbooks for a fiver - and one of them was Madhur Jaffrey's Curry Easy :D
So obviously I got it :)

I've had her Indian and Far Eastern cookery books since they first came out and they're very well thumbed/used/stained so I knew I couldn't go wrong :D
Diflower

Postby Diflower » 03 Feb 2014, 00:29

Diflower

Postby Ally » 03 Feb 2014, 10:19

Oooh I love that book cover. :D

When you fly into Birmingham airport to get out arrivals you walk past WH Smiths and a couple of years ago..just calling my name..was a display of smashing little hardback books.

100 Indian recipes - for the princely sum of £2. :D :D :D

Thank you very much. :P :P

Years ago I bought a beautiful hard back Wild Food recipe book by Marco Pierre White..not for the recipes I hasten to add..he looks flamin gorgeous in the photos. 8-) :lol: :lol: :lol:
Ally
Site Admin

Postby Diflower » 03 Feb 2014, 12:24

allyluvselvis wrote:Years ago I bought a beautiful hard back Wild Food recipe book by Marco Pierre White..not for the recipes I hasten to add..he looks flamin gorgeous in the photos. 8-) :lol: :lol: :lol:

Such a bad boy...I would :oops: :P :D
Diflower

Postby Ally » 03 Feb 2014, 12:48

Diflower wrote:
allyluvselvis wrote:Years ago I bought a beautiful hard back Wild Food recipe book by Marco Pierre White..not for the recipes I hasten to add..he looks flamin gorgeous in the photos. 8-) :lol: :lol: :lol:

Such a bad boy...I would :oops: :P :D

Even being in his Nottingham restaurant last June was enough to make me feel giddy. :oops: ;) ;) :lol: :lol:

Don hates him! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Ally
Site Admin

Postby Diflower » 03 Feb 2014, 12:54

Can't imagine why ;) :D

That book cover is gorgeous isn't it - and goes well with a tunic I got in New Look - will post on Boutique board :)
Diflower

Return to In The Kitchen