5 Tbsp natural yoghurt
2 Tbsp melted butter

Filling per naan.

1 tsp brown sugar
1 Dsp desiccated coconut
1 Dsp sultans or raisins
1 Dsp flaked almonds (optional)

A little vegetable oil

Put the yeast, sugar and two tablespoons of warm milk in a bowl and stir. Leave until it begins to froth.

Put the flour and salt into a large mixing bowl and whisk to combine. Make a well in the middle of the flour and pour in the yoghurt and the yeast mixture plus 3/4 of the melted butter. Mix, then gradually stir in the milk to make a soft dough that is just firm enough, but not dry. On a lightly floured surface knead the dough for about five minutes until smooth and stretchy. Put in a large, lightly oiled bowl, cover and leave until doubled in size - an hour or more

Knock back the dough and divide into six balls. Roll out a ball to a roughly circular shape. It should not be too thin and maybe 15 inches in diameter. Sprinkle the fillings randomly on one half then fold the unsprinkled part over. Give this a light roll and make sure the edges are sealed, then press down on it with your hands and fingers to make a knobbly flat bread. Push and pull this into the traditional tear shape of a naan and make sure the edges are well sealed. Set aside and cover. Repeat with the remaining dough balls.

When you have done four naans heat a heavy non-stick frying pan over a very high heat for five minutes and put the oven on low. Make sure the melted butter has not set

Take naan 1 and put it in the hot pan. When it starts to bubble, turn it over and cook until the other side is browned in patches. Turn it back over and cook until there are no doughy bits remaining. Do the same with the remaining naans.

Brush the top with melted butter, wrap loosely in tin foil (enough to hold all the naans) and put in the oven to keep warm while you make the other breads. Serve hot with your curry.
Workingman

Re: Peshwari Nanns, makes about six.

Postby tonicha » 02 Feb 2015, 09:52

If I could only find some yeast :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: dried or fresh :roll:
tonicha

Postby Diflower » 02 Feb 2015, 11:23

Have you tried asking at the bakers Ton?
Here at least you can still just walk in and ask for it, some actually give it away, others make a small charge x
Worth a try anyway :)
If successful we can investigate storage, I think you might be able to freeze it.
'Course you could go the whole hog and make a sourdough starter, then you never need yeast again ;)
Diflower

Postby Workingman » 02 Feb 2015, 12:07

You can definitely freeze dried yeast in the little sachets. Best done as soon as possible after purchase and in a plastic container, not the box it came in. It should have a reasonable 'best before' date and this can be extended for a few months.

I am not sure about fresh yeast. Mum used to get it from the bakery for next to nowt and use it straight away.
Workingman

Postby lissie » 02 Feb 2015, 13:14

http://readynutrition.com/resources/sur ... _02032011/

Have a read of this Ton :lol:
It might be worth trying.

lissie :lol:
lissie

Postby tonicha » 02 Feb 2015, 14:06

Thanks Lissie :D
tonicha

Postby Workingman » 02 Feb 2015, 14:58

Good link, Lissie, thanks.

I might try the raisin starter. :D
Workingman

Postby lissie » 02 Feb 2015, 18:58

I found this quite interesting. Let me know if it works for you Frank as i will try it
then :D :D :D

lissie :lol:
lissie

Postby Workingman » 04 Feb 2015, 15:35

Lissie, I have just started a raisin one... I'll let you know how it goes. :D
Workingman

Return to In The Kitchen