Plaited fruit loaf for Easter.

For all your recipes, food and drink ideas and discussions

Plaited fruit loaf for Easter.

Postby Workingman » 27 Mar 2015, 18:36

The mix is very similar to one for hot cross buns but made as a fruit loaf.

375g plain flour
7g sachet dried yeast
50g caster sugar
1 tsp salt
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp ground allspice or mixed spice

1 egg, lightly beaten
25g soft butter
200ml warm milk

Fruit
50g sultanas
50g currants
50g mixed peel

Milk and Egg wash

Place the flour and spices in a bow and give them a mix. Following Ol' Blue Eyes' rules put the salt, yeast and sugar each 1/3 of the way round the edge of the bowl. Make a well in the centre and put in the egg and butter. Start to mix the ingredients whilst slowly pouring in the milk keeping some back - you might not need it all. Keep mixing until you have a ball of dough, how you do this is up to you. I like to use dough hooks on a hand mixer for a few minutes and then tip the mix onto a floured worktop and knead by hand for about five minutes.

Place the dough in a greased/oiled bowl and cover and leave to rise till doubled.

Place the risen dough back on the floured worktop and just knock it back with your fingers. Spread the fruit onto the dough sheet. Roll into a ball and knead until the fruit is evenly mixed in. Divide into three even portions and stretch and roll these out into 40cm long ropes. Plait them as you would with hair. Put the plait on a floured baking sheet, tuck the ends in cover and leave to rise for 30 minutes then brush over the egg and milk wash and sprinkle with sugar

Pre-heat the oven to 200C and bake the bread for 10 mins. Turn the heat down to 180C and bake for a further 20 minutes or until golden and the loaf sounds hollow.
Workingman

Re: Plaited fruit loaf for Easter.

Postby tonicha » 27 Mar 2015, 22:51

Looks good WM :D
tonicha

Postby Rodo » 27 Mar 2015, 23:07

Hubby says he is going to make this tomorrow.
Rodo

Postby Workingman » 27 Mar 2015, 23:23

Modesty would have me say that is an acceptable loaf....
..... but a slice, slathered in butter, is ecstasy - bliss personified. ;) :lol: :lol:
Workingman

Postby Rodo » 28 Mar 2015, 07:44

Then I look forward to experiencing bliss later today. :P
Rodo

Postby Kaz » 28 Mar 2015, 09:17

Oh my word!!!!!! :D :D :D 8-) 8-) 8-)
Kaz

Postby Diflower » 28 Mar 2015, 14:51

That looks gorgeous :)
I'd already intended making a hot cross loaf this year; once I'm up to looking at food properly I shall compare your recipe to mine and decide which to use :)
Diflower

Postby Workingman » 28 Mar 2015, 15:28

Di, it is a recipe from a Kiwi or Aussie site I found years ago and never got round to making till yesterday.... and it has nearly all gone!

A fair warning though, to Mr Rodo and you or anyone, it is quite a wet dough and it rises like mad! :shock: When I put it on the baking tray it was quite a comfortable fit, but as you can see from the photos it grew longer than the tray. :lol: :lol: :lol: For some reason the pictures make it look darker than it actually is.
Workingman

Postby Rodo » 28 Mar 2015, 15:31

Well it is in the making here, but I haven't seen it as yet. We haven't got to oven stage yet.
Rodo

Postby Rodo » 28 Mar 2015, 16:37

His has turned out a lot darker than yours and he says he followed the times exactly. All ovens are different though - he forgets that.
Rodo

Next

Return to In The Kitchen