Celery

For all your recipes, food and drink ideas and discussions

Celery

Postby Weka » 29 Jul 2015, 08:29

I've got 2.5 heads of the stuff in my fridge to use. Any ideas? Celery sticks just won't get through this volume. I tried to give sasha some in her lunchbox today and she said it made her tongue tingle. so my resident vege is of no use to me. They still have the leaves on if that gives any additional ideas.
Everything happens for a reason
Weka

Re: Celery

Postby Diflower » 29 Jul 2015, 08:36

Celery soup is lovely, sorry not got time to find mine but if you google I've made a celery and tomato one and cream of celery.

I make sandwich fillings: grate cheese, add lots of chopped celery plus dollop of cream cheese to bind it together.
I've not tried freezing it but it's worth a go with a small amount.

You could also try dicing some nice and small and freezing it for use in eg Bolognese or casseroles. Do you have a processor? - you could chop it plus carrot and onion then freeze in portions so you have the base ready.

Oh and it's surprisingly nice with peanut butter in a stick, used lots by low-carbers as a snack ;)
Diflower

Postby Weka » 29 Jul 2015, 09:17

I hadn't thought of freezing it. I'm not a celery fan and normally only use a bit in a salad or in a soup with other veges.
Everything happens for a reason
Weka

Postby Diflower » 29 Jul 2015, 10:22

Waitrose sell bags of a frozen mix of celery, onion and carrot so I presume it would be fine, especially for cooking :)
Probably best spread out on a tray to freeze then put into bags - or line a muffin tin with clingfilm and freeze in handy-sized lumps.
Diflower

Postby debih » 29 Jul 2015, 10:49

Throw it in the bin.

Bleurghh. Devils food

Sent from the top of the world looking down on creation .......
Life begins at the end of your comfort zone!
debih

Postby Workingman » 29 Jul 2015, 13:55

One of my favourites, sorry Debs.

It will freeze without needing to be blanched. Chop, spread on tray, freeze, bag up.

You can also freeze a celery puree. Blitz it with a whizzer thingy then put in tubs, but leave the lids off till the celery has frozen or they could burst.

Finely chopped it is good in all forms of "slaw" type salads.

Tip: to remove the strings, break a stick from inside to out then pull apart.

Don't bin it, experiment. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Workingman

Postby TheOstrich » 29 Jul 2015, 23:24

You could also try dicing some nice and small and freezing it for use in eg Bolognese or casseroles.

That's how we use it up, to bulk a mince bolognaise or a stew.
TheOstrich

Return to In The Kitchen