Breakfast muffins

For all your recipes, food and drink ideas and discussions

Breakfast muffins

Postby Diflower » 26 Oct 2015, 18:54

For Ally - but anyone is welcome :)

I couldn't find the actual recipe, may be in my upstairs stash of books. They originated with low-carb diets but what that means is they're protein-dense and filling.
But it's basically a crustless quiche recipe, made in muffin tins - silicone ideally as otherwise they stick, or you can line the cups of tins with baking paper.
Or if you don't have muffin tins make one large round one, silicone still best though.

Whisk together 4-6 eggs, a small pack of cream cheese, cream or milk plus grated cheese and seasoning. Put eg chopped chorizo or cooked bacon, sausage into muffin tins, then add mixture.
Bake at about 170c for 20-30 mins.
They keep well and can also be frozen then thawed or microwaved.

Quantities vary according to how filling you need them to be, and how many you want to make so I make them with just 2 or 3 eggs plus milk, rather than the cream cheese etc, but they're still really filling.
With 6 eggs you can make 12.
Vary the flavours, eg cooked mushroom & spinach, chopped cooked peppers, slice of tomato on top, etc.
One or two of those for breakfast and/or to have with you as a snack should keep you going for ages.
Diflower

Re: Breakfast muffins

Postby Kaz » 26 Oct 2015, 19:17

I've seen similar to this on Facebook before now, and they do look interesting 8-) 8-)
Kaz

Postby Diflower » 26 Oct 2015, 19:36

They're yummy and very filling Kaz, I used to make them a lot especially when avoiding bread :)
As I said, they're really a quiche without the crust but denser.

Ally also nuts - unsalted brazils, walnuts and almonds - a handful will keep you going quite a while. Stop after a few though, you shouldn't have too many ;)
Diflower

Postby Kaz » 26 Oct 2015, 19:54

They do sound nice, although I would probably make them cheese and tomato or peppers perhaps rather than bacon, as I don't eat pork. I really must give these a go 8-) :)
Kaz

Postby Ally » 27 Oct 2015, 07:47

Ooooh thanks for that Di - I will definitely make these for David and I's next hike. :D :D :D

I especially like the non- crust crust as I'm not a fan. :lol:

And nuts! I forgot about nuts! Mercadona do fab little packets of mixed unsalted nuts. :D :D :D :D :D
Ally
Site Admin

Postby Workingman » 27 Oct 2015, 19:13

There is a prog on Freeview, Barefoot Contessa, and she did something very similar, but added a couple of dessert-spoons of cornflour to the mix.

They were for a picnic box, and as Di hints, can be sweet or savoury. They did look good.

Warm with butter.....drool. :oops: :oops: :oops:
Workingman

Postby Ally » 27 Oct 2015, 23:51

I'd always do the savoury ones. ;) ;) :D :D
Ally
Site Admin

Postby Diflower » 28 Oct 2015, 00:35

Never thought of making them sweet, not sure they're suitable tbh - and as for butter? :?
Diflower

Postby Ally » 28 Oct 2015, 01:11

Diflower wrote:Never thought of making them sweet, not sure they're suitable tbh - and as for butter? :?

I can't imagine them being made sweet either. :?

WM....where would you put the butter?

Unless you put the muffin between 2 slices of bread? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Ally
Site Admin

Postby Workingman » 28 Oct 2015, 16:53

They are a kind of play on a custard so replacing the savoury with sweet would work, I think the flour just made them more 'bready'.

As for the butter..... the savoury version would be like an omelette, and I always put a few knobs of butter on an omelette. :Hi:
Workingman

Return to In The Kitchen