Oh dear

For all your recipes, food and drink ideas and discussions

Re: Oh dear

Postby tonicha » 28 Oct 2015, 23:30

Don't know Ally, it's such a long time since I've tried.

The pasties aren't too bad, it'll be one for breakfast tomorrow and the rest for dinner on Friday.
tonicha

Postby Ally » 28 Oct 2015, 23:45

tonicha wrote:Don't know Ally, it's such a long time since I've tried.

The pasties aren't too bad, it'll be one for breakfast tomorrow and the rest for dinner on Friday.

I don't make much pastry (I'm not a big fan) so am no expert. Remember mum rubbing the pastry mix between her fingertips as they are cooler than the hands.

I buy my filo sheets from Mercadona and say a prayer when I'm making any pastry from scratch. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Ally
Site Admin

Postby Kaz » 29 Oct 2015, 09:21

Yes, pastry needs a cool hand and preferably a cool surface. At one time I had a chest freezer in my kitchen with a melamine surface, and the pastry I made on there was the best I ever made :lol: I hardly bother now, for the few occasions on which I use pastry ready made is so cheap that it doesn't seem worth it :oops: :lol:
Kaz

Postby Workingman » 29 Oct 2015, 17:36

tonicha wrote:WM, the flour we get is either for cakes, bread or plain white stuff.

Bread flour should do the job.

Now gravy. ;) :lol:

In a jug dissolve a stock cube in the advised amount of boiling water.

In a warm pan add equal volumes of flour and butter, say 2 tsp of each. Cook the mix, stirring constantly with a whisk or a fork until a shiny paste forms then cook for a further minute. Remove the pan from the heat and slowly add the stock a bit at a time, whisking constantly. Put it back on the heat to simmer and thicken, more whisking needed. :roll:

There you go, lump free gravy. :Hi:

Or you could buy Bisto ready mix. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Workingman

Postby Nanna » 29 Oct 2015, 18:30

Great gravy ....... Bisto gravy granules! Just add boiling water and stir..... Hey presto :D :) :D
Nanna

Postby Workingman » 29 Oct 2015, 19:15

Nanna wrote:Great gravy ....... Bisto gravy granules! Just add boiling water and stir..... Hey presto :D :) :D

:shock: :shock: :shock:

As a Northern lass I would not expect you to do gravy granules, Nanna. Ton, yes, you, no. :cry: :cry: :cry: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Workingman

Postby Nanna » 29 Oct 2015, 19:21

Workingman wrote:
Nanna wrote:Great gravy ....... Bisto gravy granules! Just add boiling water and stir..... Hey presto :D :) :D

:shock: :shock: :shock:

As a Northern lass I would not expect you to do gravy granules, Nanna. Ton, yes, you, no. :cry: :cry: :cry: :lol: :lol: :lol:

LOL. I ain't northern WM. I'm a suvener! Although I moved to the North 42 years ago, I still have my suven accent :D
Nanna

Postby Workingman » 29 Oct 2015, 19:25

And your suven cooking skills. :lol: :lol: :lol: :arrow: :arrow: :arrow: :arrow: :arrow:
Workingman

Postby Nanna » 29 Oct 2015, 19:54

Workingman wrote:And your suven cooking skills. :lol: :lol: :lol: :arrow: :arrow: :arrow: :arrow: :arrow:

Definitely :D
Nanna

Postby tonicha » 29 Oct 2015, 20:10

Workingman wrote:As a Northern lass I would not expect you to do gravy granules, Nanna. Ton, yes, you, no. :cry: :cry: :cry: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Erm, 'scuse me Mr WM - I was born in Liverpool, think that may make me a northener - just one that can't do gravy :oops: :oops: :lol: :lol: :lol:
tonicha

PreviousNext

Return to In The Kitchen