ideas for left over ham

For all your recipes, food and drink ideas and discussions

ideas for left over ham

Postby meriad » 28 Dec 2015, 09:12

I was at friends for boxing day and they had made the most gorgeous ham; super tender, moist, just fall apart delicious - really scrumptious. I've got the recipe and do want to try it, but realistically there is only so much ham a person can eat in one sitting. I know I can make ham and eggs for breakfast or ham rolls, or ham salad, but anything else you clever people can think of.

I could freeze portions of the ham once done as well,couldn't I?
meriad

Re: ideas for left over ham

Postby Diflower » 28 Dec 2015, 09:57

Yes you can definitely freeze ham; in large pieces, in slices, or in packs of 'pulled' bits or small chunks.
Small chunks for pasta sauces, with mushrooms and or chicken, ditto pie/pasty fillings.
Obviously you could make the pasta sauce/pies then freeze those.
Deliaonline has some Christmas leftovers recipes, e.g. ham croquettes.

I have a gammon hock that I haven't yet cooked, and am planning on doing that a bit like pulled pork, can you pretty please post your recipe though?
Diflower

Postby Kaz » 28 Dec 2015, 11:05

Our gammon was gorgeous this year, really juicy, but B ate the last of it last night! Otherwise, Di is spot on it freezes really well :D
Kaz

Postby TheOstrich » 28 Dec 2015, 11:59

We had a 1.5kg gammon joint which Mrs O. cooked before Xmas.

By the time we'd had a roast meal and given 1/3 of the leftovers to my S. as an Xmas present, there wasn't that much left, so we've just snacked on the remains as cold cuts with pickles ... :D
TheOstrich

Postby meriad » 28 Dec 2015, 11:59

Di, this is the recipe I use for pulled pork: http://scandelights.com/2011/05/06/pulled-pork/ it's lovely.

I do prefer the sauce a bit more BBQ'y sweeter so add a bit of extra honey
meriad

Postby Workingman » 28 Dec 2015, 16:33

What about small quiches to take in for lunch? Plain ham, ham and tomato, ham and mushroom would all work. They could be frozen and taken out at breakfast and be naturally defrosted by lunch time.

Or maybe ham sausage rolls? Chop some of the ham finely and mix 50:50 with sausage meat, season, add a bit of mustard and make the rolls. They will also freeze.

Or even chicken and ham slices with a thick creamy sauce.
Workingman

Postby Diflower » 31 Dec 2015, 19:56

Thanks for that recipe meriad, it's similar to but not quite the same as one I've used :)

The gammon hock was lovely, I did it in the slow cooker with a mix of coke, marmalade, Worcester sauce and Dijon mustard :)
Today we got a bargain piece of pork in Tesco (£1.50!) so I'll plan on your recipe for that :)
Diflower

Return to In The Kitchen