Goats' cheese tarts

For all your recipes, food and drink ideas and discussions

Re: Goats' cheese tarts

Postby Workingman » 30 Dec 2015, 16:04

meriad wrote:I think what I'm going to try doing is buying a few sheets of the ready rolled puff, cutting them into squares and then freezing the squares so I can take them out individually as and when needed....

I'm liking this idea :D

:lol: Me too. Freezing them for 'as and when' is what I do with balls of pizza dough and the tomato sauce. It means that I can make any sort of pizza topping to suit my mood at the time. The same will be true for the squares. :Hi:
Workingman

Postby meriad » 06 Jan 2016, 12:44

Well, inspired by this thread I bought two rolls of puff pastry the other day and realised on Monday evening that they had a best before date of 4th Jan... so last night figured I'd best do something with them pronto. As I was getting the rolls out the fridge I remembered that I also had some mushrooms that needed using up, so put them in a pot and cooked them with just some butter and salt; nothing else; just a lovely rich mushroom flavour.

I cut the one sheet of puff into 6 pieces (four squares and two left over rectangular bits) - two squares were topped with the mushrooms; the other two with goats cheese (but was lazy and used red onion marmalade as a base) and the rectangular pieces I used to make a mushroom filled pasty(ish)

When they came out of the oven and still nice and hot I put some mascarpone cheese onto one of the the mushroom ones and had that,as well as a goats cheese square and one of the mushroom rolls / pasty things for dinner - totally scrumptious (I overindulged)

I've got the other bits with me for lunch today - just not sure how they'll be to warm up in a microwave, but it's worth a go

And best is that total time from start to finish - including cooking the mushrooms - less than 1/2 hour! But next time I think I'd do more filling and not leave such a gap on the sides - I'm greedy you see :D

Definitely one to make more regularly
meriad

Postby Workingman » 06 Jan 2016, 15:59

It is strange how some threads evolve. :lol:

I have also bought a couple of packs of Jus-rol and figure there is enough in each for four squares with strips to make the sides.

Those you made sound tempting, Ria, but I am more interested in how your lunch went. Did you take a cooked one in and re-heat it or did you take the makings in and make it at work? I am confused (quiet you lot!) coz I am not sure puff-pastry cooks in a microwave.
Workingman

Postby meriad » 06 Jan 2016, 16:19

LOL Frank - I cooked everything at home last night and then popped the ones for lunch into the microwave. Still very tasty but definitely nowhere near as crispy and flaky as they were last night fresh out the oven

As for the portioning - you're right.... next time I'll make 4 same size ones and not the 4 squares and two funny bits left over. The sheet of puff is rectangular so you can't get 4 proper squares (iykwim). Maybe the block that you roll out would be better but the ready rolled sheet is just so quick
meriad

Postby Kaz » 06 Jan 2016, 16:26

Ria those sound absolutely scrumptious!! :D :D

Frank they are definitely nicest fresh from the oven, but they will reheat ok xx
Kaz

Postby Workingman » 06 Jan 2016, 17:42

I can confirm the ready rolled sheet makes four decent sized squares and the bit left over is enough to make the sides to keep the filling in.

I think that I will go back to my original idea of making the squares up and freezing them raw. I always have cooked meats, veg and cheese in so I can make them up as required. Cooking instructions say 15 mins at 200ºC, not a long wait.
Workingman

Postby saundra » 06 Jan 2016, 17:42

Kaz just watched James Martin this afternoon doing some tarts on the same principle but he grafted some sharp cheese on first then covered them with sliced tomatoes them baked them they looked lovely
saundra

Postby Workingman » 06 Jan 2016, 17:49

Saundra, I was in the bread and cakes aisle and they have something similar in the sweets section: vanilla custard; apple and cinnamon, and maple and pecan.

So the basic idea can be either sweet or savoury. :Hi: :Hi: :Hi:
Workingman

Postby Diflower » 06 Jan 2016, 18:22

I know you all hate me pointing these things out, but better forewarned...

Don't get too keen - especially you Wm! - pastry should be an occasional treat, not a regular convenience, albeit a yummy one :)
Lovely for Christmas, fine once in a while, definitely not for every day or several times a week.
One pack of the ready-rolled Jus Rol puff pastry is 1220 calories, please do bear that in mind before you ask why you're putting on weight, won't you ;)
Diflower

Postby Workingman » 06 Jan 2016, 18:53

Diflower wrote:I know you all hate me pointing these things out, but better forewarned...

Don't get too keen - especially you Wm!)

Bah-humbug!

305 cals for the pastry, some more for cheese, next to nothing for the cooked meat slivers and veg. Well under 500 cals per slice.

I do not do cakes, biscuits or sweets, (well not daily) so well within limits. :P :P :P
Workingman

PreviousNext

Return to In The Kitchen