My efforts yesterday

For all your recipes, food and drink ideas and discussions

My efforts yesterday

Postby Kaz » 03 Jan 2016, 11:08

I made a chicken provencale, then a tarte tatin for pud. I was a bit worried about serving these up to a Frenchman - Hannah's bf Armand - but as he was mopping up the juice from the chicken with garlic bread until his plate squeaked, I think he liked it :lol: :lol:

I made the chicken in my iron casserole dish, I browned the chicken and onions in a little olive oil on the hob, then added the sliced peppers, chopped tin tomatoes, the herbs (I used one of those Knorr things with fresh herbs in a plug, not a stock cube) and a handful of basil from my windowsill. A large slug of red wine to finish, and that went into the oven on 160 degrees fan oven for just over two hours. We had baked potatoes, veggies and garlic bread with it. I will try mash next time I think, although the spuds were nice :)

The tarte was easy, a square of ready-made puff pastry (that's been useful this Christmas!) with the edges rolled in, sliced Cox's apples, then a thin sprinkled layer of sugar over it, and tiny dots of butter on top. Into the hot oven until almost cooked then I heated some apricot jam and painted that over the top with a pastry brush and back into the oven for five minutes. I served it up with cream or Kelly's clotted cream icecream :) It was a big hit :)
Attachments
tarte tatin.jpg
tarte tatin.jpg (58.38 KiB) Viewed 8170 times
chicken provencale.jpg
chicken provencale.jpg (75.84 KiB) Viewed 8170 times
Kaz

Re: My efforts yesterday

Postby Rodo » 03 Jan 2016, 11:27

Think I'll come round to your house. What are you having today? :D
Rodo

Postby Kaz » 03 Jan 2016, 16:07

Leftovers :P :lol: :lol: :lol:

Not strictly true, there was one piece of chicken in some of the sauce, Mick had that with a leftover baked spud reheated. Becky had the leftover garlic bread with carrots and a gammon steak I found in the freezer. I'm having a piece of feta and spinach quiche with some salad leaves later (not hungry yet) ;)

There will be a fight between Mick and B for the last slice of the tarte no doubt :cute: ;) :lol: :lol:
Kaz

Postby Ally » 03 Jan 2016, 16:22

It all looked and sounded yummy Kaz! 8-) 8-)
Ally
Site Admin

Postby Kaz » 03 Jan 2016, 16:47

:)
Kaz

Postby Diflower » 03 Jan 2016, 19:26

Glad it went so well Kaz, always a bit nervy when there's an 'outsider' too isn't it xx
It looks lovely :D
Diflower

Postby Kaz » 03 Jan 2016, 19:52

Thanks Di :) x
Kaz

Return to In The Kitchen