Clinique -v- Simple....expensive -v- cheap

For all things fashion, beauty and hair care

Clinique -v- Simple....expensive -v- cheap

Postby Osc » 18 Sep 2016, 23:06

I've been using Clinique for many years, mainly due to various allergies, and have always been happy plus I have built up a nice relationship with the two girls on the Clinique counter in my nearest Boots. However, in recent years, the cost of my day and night creams has risen enormously, by €30-€35 euro, and every new skincare product they bring out costs more than the one it replaces.

Recently, I bought nightcream, or thought I had, only to find when I got home that she had given me day cream in error. I didn't have time to go back and change it, so bought a Simple night cream locally. Do you know what? My face has not fallen off, I have not broken out in weeping sores, in fact my skin looks much the same. So now I am wondering, will I continue with it, finish the day cream and then experiment with Simple day cream :? Have any of you "downgraded" without adverse effects on your skin?
Osc

Re: Clinique -v- Simple....expensive -v- cheap

Postby miasmum » 18 Sep 2016, 23:36

I used to use Boots No 7 serum Osc, but the price crept up and up. So I swapped to Boots Time Delay and was happy with that. Now though I use Aldi Lacura range. Cheap as chips and brilliant with it

I think skin care is really overpriced for the 'named' brands, bit like anything named in my opinion
miasmum

Postby Diflower » 19 Sep 2016, 10:37

I have some Simple stuff, it's fine - especially as it's in plastic, so light for packing - but tbh don't find it rich enough.
I do buy what I think is the best value though. I love facial oil, but after one purchase of a relatively expensive one found Boots Botanics, it's organic and I think it's lovely. Very ecomomical (as are the more expensive ones to be fair), as you only use a couple of drops.
And using that first, I then find my face cream goes further, which makes that better value.

I have tried cheaper (Waitrose 'Pure' range is good) but go back to Neal's Yard, frankincense cream which I love the smell and feel of, and it suits my skin (I have rosacea so do have to be careful). It's over £20 for a pot, but W/rose stock it so sometimes have it on offer ;) And I do use every single last scrap.
Diflower

Postby Kaz » 19 Sep 2016, 17:24

Olay Regenerist for me, I don't find Simple is rich enough either, but then I do have a very dry skin indeed! The Regenerist is usually about £27 a pot, but they often have offers in Boots or Superdrug, and sometimes even in Sainsburys so I always keep an eye out for it :) Oils and serums make me itch, as does anything with fruit acids in it.

Osc, if the Simple suits then yes by all means keep on with it - no point paying over the odds if there is no difference :) xxx
Kaz

Postby meriad » 20 Sep 2016, 12:03

£1.50 Store own brand cleanser for me and Nivea day and night creams.... and then I go onto My Supermarket to see where they are on special and buy I don't do expensive stuff. When my skin started playing up two or so years ago I tried the clinique gentle facial wash and it was good, but definitely no better than the £1.50 product.

And bonus of the £1.50 store own brand cleanser - it's cruelty free; not tested on animals ;) In fact from memory all of Tesco, Sainsbury and Asda (not sure about Morrisons) own brand beauty products are cruelty free - and they're good
meriad

Postby JoM » 20 Sep 2016, 13:11

Shell, I've started using the Lacura serum today. I thought it felt a bit greasy as I put it on but by the time I came to put on my make up it'd absorbed well without any greasiness. Early days of course but my skin feels really silky so I think I'll check out the other products.

And The Charlatans and Johnny Marr one week later
JoM

Postby miasmum » 20 Sep 2016, 20:55

Is that the one in the dropper type bottle Jo? I really like it and I love the Lacura day cream. I have recently bought the night cream and it is really rich and heavy. I have come out in a few spots so I will give it time to settle, otherwise I will use the lighter night cream for younger skin, maybe my skin isn't as old as I thought :lol: :lol:
miasmum

Postby JoM » 20 Sep 2016, 21:34

It's this one Shell https://www.aldi.co.uk/p/2099/2
I've got to go in Aldi tomorrow so I'll see what else there is.

JoM

Postby miasmum » 20 Sep 2016, 22:32

It looks like they might have had a revamp of their packaging. My serum is in a red glass bottle with a dropper. I do really like their skin care range Jo
miasmum

Postby JoM » 21 Sep 2016, 16:28

There was one in red packaging when I looked today Shell, Expert I think? They had a serum and an eye gel.

JoM

Next

Return to The Boutique