Nico Rosberg has retired from F1

For the chaps here

Nico Rosberg has retired from F1

Postby Workingman » 02 Dec 2016, 14:12

He won what will now be his one and only World Driver's Championship five days ago.

In some ways I cannot say that I blame him. He is a young dad. He is at his peak and he doesn't need the danger or the money that goes with it.

Going out as champion is a good way to go.
Workingman

Re: Nico Rosberg has retired from F1

Postby TheOstrich » 02 Dec 2016, 21:13

I agree - good for him. He has achieved the pinnacle of his chosen sport and he has nothing further to prove - it's not necessary to put himself further at risk, especially with a young family.
TheOstrich

Postby miasmum » 03 Dec 2016, 13:28

Hello, I had just come on here to say exactly the same. :D

BBC called it 'a classy move, from a classy man'. Immediately my friend, a Hamilton fan, texted me, hmmm change the word classy to cowardly :roll: and yes that is what all the Hamilton the little ballerina (to quote Sir Jackie Stewart) will be saying. Never known so many sour grapes since Nico won.

Lewis says he doesn't mind who his partner is, as long as he gets equal rights and an equal car. Funny how that never bothered him when he was winning :lol: He seems to forget he could have won this championship if he just could have got himself off the start line a bit quicker :x

Anyhow I detract, I think Nico has done exactly the right thing. He is a great ambassador, an intelligent man and a very, very worthy champion. Well done

So who do you reckon will replace him?
miasmum

Postby Kaz » 03 Dec 2016, 16:54

Not keen on Lewis, he seems to have a huge ego these days! :? I think Rosberg is very wise - he has reached a pinnacle with nothing left to prove, no need for the money, and a young family to consider. He looked very happy about his decision when I saw him on TV!

Besides, Lewis lives abroad and pays no tax here which always gets my goat a little :oops: :evil:
Kaz

Postby cromwell » 04 Dec 2016, 11:02

Rosberg deserved the title, no amount of sour grapes will change that.

He is an intelligent, modest man and he doesn't need the money or the stress on his family any more, so yes, a smart move.

I wonder who will get his seat at Mercedes?
"Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored" - Aldous Huxley
cromwell

Postby miasmum » 04 Dec 2016, 11:23

My fingers are tightly crossed for Alonso
miasmum

Postby Workingman » 04 Dec 2016, 17:48

The pundits, especially Andrew Benson of the BBC, have been telling us all season that the hamster is in a league of his own, however, now that Rosberg has retired we hear a different tune.

Alonso, Vettel, Ricciardo and Verstappen would all push Hamilton, but it doesn't stop there. The same could be said of the Hulk, Bottas and Sainz, so that is about a third of the grid. And if the last three are there on merit, then what about Raikkonen and Perez?

The truth, as most of us have known for a very long time, is that if the top drivers are given equal machinery anyone can win.

I would like it to be Alonso, but he is contacted, so probably not.
Workingman

Return to The Shed