Four Weddings and a Penalty Shootout

For the chaps here

Re: Four Weddings and a Penalty Shootout

Postby TheOstrich » 05 Dec 2017, 20:04

JoM wrote:Kaz, they'd never have got away with anything like that with my budgie - he had quite an extensive vocabulary and never stopped talking (especially reciting his name and address over and over and over and over....) :lol:

Same here, we had a blue male, Joey. He was a good talker, but when we let him out, he always had this burning desire to attempt to fly up our old-fashioned open chimney ....... :lol:
TheOstrich

Postby JoM » 05 Dec 2017, 20:09

:lol: :lol:

This one was called Billy and he was slightly disturbed. He would pluck out his wing feathers so couldn't fly. He used to have to be taken upstairs to my bedroom where he'd chatter away to himself in the trifold mirror on my dressing table and when he was done he'd jump off and jump down each step on the stairs and come walking into the living room :lol:

And The Charlatans and Johnny Marr one week later
JoM

Postby TheOstrich » 09 Dec 2017, 22:20

02/12 – a week in which, of course, the weather has turned increasingly cold, even down here in Dorset! :| On Friday, Mrs O and I decided we’d take advantage of a bright, sunny but chilly day to venture out for our annual Christmas Lunch - the venue, chosen more or less at random, being The George at Longbridge Deverill, near Warminster. I had passed the pub several times recently and thought it might be worth checking out, especially as it is not a million miles from Center Parcs, Longleat, where Master O and spouse might take a short winter holiday break next month. It was a pleasant, scenic drive over the infamous White Sheet Hill and then through the Deverills (Kingston, Brixton, Hill, and Monkton (“that’s all the right Deverills,” to paraphrase Eric Morecambe, “but not necessarily in the right order …” :D ).

We had an excellent meal and we’ll be putting the pub on our “go-to” list for future visits. Service was pleasant but unfortunately slow; however, they were also hosting what seemed to be a works Christmas lunch, judging by the amount of reindeer-antlered headgear proceeding into one of the function rooms, so we’ll let them off. Mrs O had a salmon fillet on a bed of creamed spinach, with chips and winter vegetables (cauli, broccoli, carrot batons and sugar snap peas), followed by a classic lemon meringue and cream, while Ossie indulged in a cut of roasted pork belly, mashed potatoes and cider gravy, with the aforementioned vegetables, and followed by a cappuccino cheesecake ‘n cream. Superb quality throughout, £45 with drinks and tip, and the Ostrich home to bed for a nap! :oops:

One funny incident on leaving the pub; nearby, there’s a small river and a footbridge over it to the pub gardens on t’other side. We stood on the bridge and spotted a small number of black ducks down-stream. At the same time, they must have spotted us, because they immediately spread out into a V-shaped squadron across the width of the river and started motoring, increasingly rapidly, towards us. We admired them, then suddenly twigged they must have thought we were going to feed them! We backed off the bridge; they started to make every sign that they were going to undertake an amphibious landing and cut us off from the carpark! :twisted: We lost all dignity, hightailed it hastily back to the car, and drove off before they could blockade the entrance ….. :x

To Saturday, and the Ostrich had been looking forward to a trip to Paignton RFC today and another paddle on the beach, but in the event, it was decided to stay much closer to home in view of the very frosty conditions this morning down in the Vale – no snow, but everything iced over. So, after trawling a number of local clubs’ twitter feeds for inspiration and confirmation the game was on, Westbury RUFC emerged as a suitable Plan B.

Westbury’s ground, Knott Field, is very much out of town and not easily do-able by public transport unless you’re fit, the problem being that once you turn off the main A350 Trowbridge road, roughly ½ mile outside the town boundary and just beyond the railway bridge, into Coach Road for the White Horse Country Park, you’ve still got nearly a mile’s hike before you get to the rugby club. That doesn’t bother Ossie as it’s no problem driving, but I do like to use public transport where I can to give the car a break. The club is actually situated right opposite the (now unused) Lafarge Cement production plant, on the other side of the main Newbury to Taunton railway line - you can see all the passing trains reasonably clearly through the trees from the side of the pitch. And across the pitch, on the nearby hillside about a mile distant, is the iconic and imposing Westbury White Horse, a huge chalk hill figure, not prehistoric or anything like that, but dating from the mid-18th century. This Wiki view would have been, I reckon, taken from lower down the country park.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Westbury_ ... _horse.jpg

In the country park, as well as the rugby, there’s a fishing lake, bowls club, golf course and driving range, and a couple of portacabins and outside track layouts in various gauges housing the West Wilts Society of Model Engineers, who were hosting a Christmas Open Day today, so with a bit of time to kill, I popped in whilst they were setting up for the afternoon’s events, received a quick guided tour, and Ossie relieved them of a large quantity of mini-chocolate bars for a suitable donation. 8-)

The rugby clubhouse is also a converted portacabin, as is the separate changing room block. Add a couple of shipping containers for equipment and that’s about it. The main pitch has some very sturdy wooden railings down both sides with a wide top you could conveniently perch your cuppa tea on. Down the railway-side touchline are 5 tall wooden poles which (I assume from the electrical hazard warning signs) may once have housed floodlights; however, today they are just bare poles, with the small training area adjacent to the main pitch being floodlit. There is a second team pitch at the far end of the campus.

Westbury were at the lower end of the league table before the game, and this win enabled them to leapfrog Melksham II in tonight’s update. Two contrasting sides; Melksham fairly stolid, Westbury quicker and lighter. In the event, it was largely one-way traffic in the direction of the Melksham line, the main entertainment being to see how many scoring chances the home side could fluff, the best example in the second half being a misplaced pass within sight of the line with an overlap of at least two players free on the outside! However, Westbury’s first try was a gem – somehow, their player, at full pelt on the wing, managed to take off, field an extremely erratic pass hurled in his general direction, land in bounds and roll over the line in one fluid movement! :D

10-0 up at the interval, Westbury quickly managed to tuck the fourth try bonus point away, and then played mildly flamboyant rugby but with only minimal further success for the rest of the game. Melksham eventually ground out a try with a couple of minutes play to go, but then nearly scored another on the final whistle; however, the ball just beat the chasing player over the dead ball line behind the goal. Not a classic match, but by no means a bad game on a pretty chilly day.

Dorset & Wilts 2 North (Level 9): Westbury RUFC 29 Melksham RUFC Seconds 5
Admission free and no paperwork, however, it was Christmas Fun Day with stalls in the clubhouse so I acquired a souvenir club mug-coaster £3.95 and a packet of reindeer poo for 50p. :shock:
Refreshments were a steak pie and tea £3.50, and 2 x mince pies 50p each from the clubhouse, the latter taken home to share with Mrs O. Attendance: 35
TheOstrich

Postby Kaz » 09 Dec 2017, 23:10

Never heard of an Ostrich being seen off by ducks before! :? :o :oops: ;) ;)
Kaz

Postby Ally » 10 Dec 2017, 09:44

I had a steak pie too yesterday Ossie.....but at Wetherspoon's in Kings Heath! :lol:
(Funnily enough a bird themed boozer...The Goose!)

I also had a mince pie at Gez's in the morning.

I love mince pies. But this one got a thumbs down from me. Too buttery a pastry and really dry. M&S!!! :shock:

Great read by the way! :lol:

PS....I'm going to a footy match next Saturday.....Birmingham v QPR. 8-) :D
Ally
Site Admin

Postby JoM » 10 Dec 2017, 10:45

Enjoyed reading that Ossie :D

I love mince pies too, had a lovely one in Second Cup on New St last week.

We were in the ballot for Manchester derby tickets but had no luck, I'm glad about that now - there's no way we'd have got there in this weather.

JoM

Postby TheOstrich » 10 Dec 2017, 11:31

Ally wrote:PS....I'm going to a footy match next Saturday.....Birmingham v QPR. 8-) :D

I'm looking forward to a full report on here next weekend, Ally - including food! :mrgreen:

Those blinkin' ducks were evil, Kaz ... :shock: I don't know what they were, certainly not mallards. They were quite big, which means according to our Bird Book, that they might have been gooseanders, or simply overfed! :x

The mince pies went down well with Mrs O, Jo, but the clarty shoes I dragged into the house (after standing in a mud patch all afternoon) didn't! :oops:
TheOstrich

Postby JoM » 10 Dec 2017, 12:05

John wouldn't be welcome after a bike ride then Ossie - he comes back covered from head to toe in mud some weeks. I refuse to wash his cycling clothes :oops:

JoM

Postby TheOstrich » 16 Dec 2017, 22:09

16/12 – An inauspicious week which started with Ossie finding his car aerial in the middle of the road outside the house, having been snapped off the car roof. :( Vandalism, however, is extremely unlikely – what I am pretty sure happened is that I didn’t swing the manual up ‘n over garage door high enough before reversing out, and that errant door must have caught the aerial and done the damage. The local repair shop said they’d order and fit a replacement unit for me. Ah well, another nice little bill before Christmas ……. :o

Then my credit card chip seemed to irretrievably give up the ghost (although it does still appear to work Contactless) so I’ll probably have to get a replacement sometime after the holiday break. And to cap it all, we had a strange Christmas card through the door from a neighbour, addressed to “Angela and Donald” - who we definitely are not! :shock: After discussion with Mrs O, I decided to return it to our neighbour, an elderly widow, and explain we'd had the wrong card, in case she knew another couple by that name and had muddled up her cards, but it was an awkward conversation, because she definitely thought we were indeed Angela and Donald. :oops: Where she’s got that from, I’ve no idea! It left me feeling I wish I hadn’t gone round to put things right – what would you have done?

To Saturday, then, and a strange noise emanating from the Nest! The Ostrich was carolling:
“Wooodelly, wooodelly, woo, woo,
Woo, woo, WOOOOO, woo woo ……”

Yes, the Bird was off to Midsomer, although there turned out to be no sign of Chief Inspector Barnaby or Sergeant Jones at the game, and certainly no Murders. The Somerset town of Midsomer Norton was indeed the inspiration for Midsomer Murders, as the original script-writer Anthony Horowitz wanted a quintessentially-English name for the series. The fictional villages of Midsomer Wellow and Midsomer Magna followed from nearby Wellow and Chew Magna, and Corston, near Bath, provided the inspiration for Midsomer Murder’s county town of Causton. None of the actual filming took place in the Midsomer Norton area, however; that’s mainly been done in Berkshire and Oxfordshire, and Wallingford is the town used for the filming of “Causton”.

This is the last Saturday before south-west rugby shuts down for a Christmas break until mid-January in some local leagues, and I’d originally planned a revisit to Sherborne RUFC with the intention of a “double” as both firsts and seconds teams were scheduled to be at home on adjacent pitches today, but by Friday night, the seconds game was in doubt, according to Twitter, owing to a shortage of available Wilts & Dorset Society referees, and in any event, it turned out Hampshire club New Milton couldn’t raise a team on the day, so a “HWO” (Home Walk Over) was duly declared on the morning – Sherborne seconds will gain 4 league points for a presumed win, and New Milton will be docked 5 points for failing to fulfil the fixture. I therefore looked elsewhere and decided on a trip to Norton Down, a ground I’ve intended to visit for some time.

Midsomer Norton RFC’s ground is about a mile south of the town on Silver Street, the B3355, and conveniently in the middle of nowhere, although the hourly 174 Bath – Wells bus service does pass the entrance. It’s a large, open, windswept campus with three pitches and a floodlit training area, fronted by a rutted car-park which apparently was once a lake but has now (thankfully :) ) been infilled. Ossie recommends you park behind the goal rather than in front on the clubhouse, because the bird parked near the latter, and found itself completely boxed in at the end of the game. There’s a fairly run-of-the-mill clubhouse with a small bar, hatch servery, and Leicester v Crystal Palace to stare at on the widescreen. The main pitch can get a bit waterlogged, according to locals I chatted to, and indeed there was some discussion about whether we would be on that or the No.2 pitch today; however, the game was played on the first team pitch, in front of the clubhouse, but even in the lee of that, there was no respite from the chill north-westerly breeze.

The club was founded in 1936, and played in Rackvernal Road, just off the High Street until the mid-1970’s when that ground, leased from the local council, was redeveloped as a multi-use sports centre, forcing the rugby club to move out of town. Old Richians RUFC, in contrast, was founded in 1950 and is the old boys club of Sir Thomas Rich's Grammar School, Gloucester. They have no other claim to fame, as far as I am aware, although I believe I am correct in saying one of their former players subsequently founded a well-known internet chat forum ……

The game pitted 6th v 5th in the table; Midsomer Norton had been relegated from Level 6 at the end of last season, and I gathered that they weren’t too sorry to return to a more local league, Level 6 clubs being largely semi-pro, which Midsomer are not, and they couldn’t compete.

Midsomer got off to a terrific start, scrum just inside the opposition half, huge push had the away side backpedalling, quick break and a chip into the left hand corner for their winger to run onto, field completely unchallenged, and touch down by the posts, after 1m 07 secs by my stopwatch. To make such a defensive error once was bad, but to repeat it was inexcusable as Richians conceded a second, similarly worked, try to go 12-0 down inside 3 minutes! One feared a rout, but Richians got a grip, and an intense midfield tussle developed over the next quarter, with much more tactical kicking than you might usually see at this level. Richians eventually made the breakthrough, and by the half-hour mark had edged 12-17 ahead, before both sides exchanged further tries, the game nicely poised at 19-22 at the interval.

After 56m, Midsomer powered ahead with an unconverted try in the car-park corner, not without incident in the run-up, as a penalty kick into touch had hit the away side’s Ford Transit minibus and deftly popped out one of the side plastic windows! A further unconverted try on 60m made it 29-22, and then on 70m, after much back and forth, Richians secured a penalty about 15 yards out in the middle of the park – what to do, a big decision, play for the converted try to tie the score, or go for the easy three points and hope for a later match-winning try. Richians went for the penalty kick, 29-25 - but as time ran out, the strong home pack gained the ascendancy, and Richians never again threatened the Midsomer line. An entertaining game that could have gone either way.

Tribute Western Counties North (Level 7): Midsomer Norton RUFC 29 Old Richians RUFC 25
Admission free and no programme.
Refreshments: from the clubhouse, pasty £1.50 or £2.50 depending on who served you – I had one at each price - and an execrable cuppa-soup that I eventually threw away £1. However, it must be said that when I arrived an hour before the game, I was pounced on by one of the friendly local club officials, who, learning I’d travelled up from Dorset, bought me a free drink! :D
Attendance: 74
TheOstrich

Postby Ally » 17 Dec 2017, 00:22

Great read Ossie!

I'm assuming you didn't eat both pasties at the game.....? :lol:

My turn now! :lol:

We went to watch Birmingham City v QPR.

Drinks: pint of cider in Brown's by the Bullring. Cost: nada, we'd met up with Jude, Ed & Mark who were lunching there and Ed treated us to a drink. :lol:

Walked from there to St Andrew's. Stopped at Patel's stores: big bag of Walker's cheese n onion crisps. 55 pence. :lol:

Programme ( Don paid) £3.

Tickets (special promotion) £10. Conor bought them.

Half time beef n onion pie. £1.50...I bought those.

Total spend for me then was £4.50 :lol:

Blues lost 2 - 1 but it was great to watch a 'live' game again.

The only disappointment? No J20 to sample. :ugeek: :lol:
Ally
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to The Shed