Tractor boys are top.

For the chaps here

Tractor boys are top.

Postby Workingman » 01 Apr 2024, 20:14

What a season for them. Oh, I do hope they do it. It might be too early and they might do a Derby once in the PL, but why not try?

The top three in the Championship are now in the play-offs so can calm down a bit.

Saints?

Baggies and Canaries watch out, Coventry might sneak in.
Workingman

Re: Tractor boys are top.

Postby miasmum » 01 Apr 2024, 23:19

I had just come to post this.

Obviously I am so thrilled and proud of Ipswich and Kieran, but I am also scared of promotion. This has been the most amazing year so far. Getting promoted from league 1 and then sitting pretty much in the top 3 all season has been an amazing ride. But what of the premiership?

We have rubbish days, days when we cant been Maidstone United, how are we going to fare in the Premier? I truly hope we dont do a Burnley who also bossed the Championship and are heading straight back down.

That would be worst case scenario, but then again sitting mid table will be a downer after this year, but it will take years before we can truly compete with the big boys. Year of expenditure and selling our soul. Like the day Arsenal fielded a team, none of whom would have known Highbury if they fell over it.

The days of Ipswich in the premier or league 1 as it was with Sir Bobby Robson, have gone now. It is all money talking. I actually love the Championship, its a great league, well matched, everyone has a chance and still lots of home grown academy talent through the teams

Anyway forget all that, all that truly matters to us fans is beating Norwich on Saturday, then we will be truly top of our league
miasmum

Postby Workingman » 01 Apr 2024, 23:52

miasmum wrote:Anyway forget all that, all that truly matters to us fans is beating Norwich on Saturday, then we will be truly top of our league

Ah, the 'wich v 'wich East Anglia cup final. ;)

Been there as was stationed at RAF Honington. "Who do we support this week?"

Norfies for me next week so we get auto, Tractors win the play-offs. Sorted. :lol:
Workingman

Postby miasmum » 02 Apr 2024, 13:02

Should that not be the other way round WM?
miasmum

Postby cromwell » 06 Apr 2024, 12:27

miasmum wrote:Obviously I am so thrilled and proud of Ipswich and Kieran, but I am also scared of promotion. This has been the most amazing year so far. Getting promoted from league 1 and then sitting pretty much in the top 3 all season has been an amazing ride. But what of the premiership?

We have rubbish days, days when we cant been Maidstone United, how are we going to fare in the Premier? I truly hope we dont do a Burnley who also bossed the Championship and are heading straight back down.

That would be worst case scenario, but then again sitting mid table will be a downer after this year, but it will take years before we can truly compete with the big boys. Year of expenditure and selling our soul. Like the day Arsenal fielded a team, none of whom would have known Highbury if they fell over it.

The days of Ipswich in the premier or league 1 as it was with Sir Bobby Robson, have gone now. It is all money talking. I actually love the Championship, its a great league, well matched, everyone has a chance and still lots of home grown academy talent through the teams

I'm increasingly feeling like this too MM.
One of the best teams in the Premiership is Brentford. Why? Because they have managed to stay up for four or five years with virtually zero money; and you are right, it's all about money now.

It's very, very hard for a team coming up from the Championship. Burnley and Sheffield United are finding that out.
The longer you stay in the premeriership, the more money you make. The more money you make, the better players you can attract.
For any team going up it's a scrap. If you manage to stay up for six or seven seasons you might get established, if you do everything right.

But I watched Chelsea v Man U the other night. The difference in class from the Championship was very marked. Regardless of the flack that ManU get, they still have a squad that is light years ahead of anything in the Championship; same with Chelsea.

A club like Arsenal can afford to chuck £72 million pounds down the drain by signing Nicholas Pepe. (Who? Exactly). That's more than the entire Leeds first team cost!
Chelsea can spaff £100 million on Enzo and another £100 million on Caicedo; money beyond the Championship clubs' wildest dreams.
"Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored" - Aldous Huxley
cromwell

Postby miasmum » 06 Apr 2024, 18:59

Cromwell that is all so true. Villa have taken 5 years to get back to top 6 in the prem after was it 3 years in the championship? And that’s with premiership money and experience behind them

And what of today? Fifteen years we haven’t beaten Norwich. I knew we wouldn’t. We don’t do well under pressure, and God forbid promotion pressure will knock facing the budgies into a cocked hat

Luckily Coventry beat Leeds which has kept us in the top 2 (Sorry Frank) but that’s just luck and we still have Coventry and Leeds to play

We are truly in an everything to lose and nothing to win situation. Nothing but automatic promotion will really be good enough, we’ll lose the play offs, see above ⬆️ but the best we can hope for in the premiership is bottom to middling, despite our deluded fans thought, and we’ll lose Kieran even quicker that way. This has been the type of season that comes along once in a blue moon and I wish it had come along after a couple of years longer in the championship.
miasmum

Return to The Shed