Play offs, here we come...

For the chaps here

Play offs, here we come...

Postby cromwell » 05 May 2024, 11:21

Congratulations to Leicester and Ipswich on automatic promotion, well deserved.
For myself I've never thought the play offs were fair. Over the course of 46 matches if you come third you deserve to go up, not to be chucked into some tombola invented for tv revenue.
That said, if Leeds don't go up I'm not too bothered.
Because with the squad we have, frankly we would get battered every week. We would be next season's Sheffield United.
Farke has done well with almost zero money, especially so since he inherited a squad in disarray.

But the problems we had three years since, we still have. No reliable goalscorer, no number ten, weak at full back on both sides, etc.

For all the San Fransisco 49ers have a load of money, they haven't sent much of it our way.
It would probably be better for us to strengthen the squad in a big way and try again next year.
"Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored" - Aldous Huxley
cromwell

Re: Play offs, here we come...

Postby Workingman » 05 May 2024, 13:01

Hmm, I slightly disagree on a few things.

I think that if we do go up via the play-offs the squad will be strengthened. The money men will see what Farke has done with the current squad and he will get their ear about what he needs. Oh, and a few bob to spend.

If we do not go up then we could well lose players such as Gnonto, Summerville, Gray, James, Rutter.... The money for replacements would have to be spent and then a new "team" developed from them. It could be a hard season.

I'd rather go up and keep what we have, plus a few newbies, than sit in the Champ and rebuild,
Workingman

Postby miasmum » 05 May 2024, 19:53

But you had parachute payments when you came down? Aren't they supposed to be used to strengthen the squad? Sorry but I am not up to speed with such things.

Cant bear that awful little Farke and his coats :lol:
miasmum

Postby Workingman » 05 May 2024, 21:14

Parachute payments only come in one year after relegation. not the next year. None of the relegated teams, Leicester, Leeds and Southampton, got them this year.

Only Leeds and Southampton, if they do not get promoted, will get them next year.

Those who go straight back up get sod all.
Workingman

Postby miasmum » 06 May 2024, 00:32

I obviously misunderstood as I thought they got them for the first 3 years after being relegated
miasmum

Return to The Shed