The Chronicles of Ostrick ....

For the chaps here

Re: The Chronicles of Ostrick ....

Postby TheOstrich » 19 Nov 2016, 18:49

19/11 – Slumming it today, so a leisurely 10 miles or so south across the Blackmore Vale to Sturminster Newton for a Dorset Senior League game. A cold, grey, threatening sky, but apart from a short, sharp shower at kick-off time, the rain thankfully held off until I was back in Gillingham. It’s a fairly pleasant journey along a twisty “B” road, and the football ground is just off it on the north side of the town, more or less behind the secondary school – the town itself can get rather congested through the narrow main street.

Sturminster Newton United, nicknamed “The Cherries”, (the club badge is a bunch of said fruit) were formed in 1873, but haven’t accomplished a lot since. I believe they were promoted into the Dorset Senior League at the end of last season, from what depths I do not know. Nevertheless, the ground is prominently signposted off the main road, and the Bing Maps aerial view showed up suspicious, regularly-spaced shadows in the wheat field adjoining the pitch indicating the provision of floodlight pylons. So they could have kicked off at the traditional time of 3:00, but I’m always suspicious of these things in grass-roots football once the clocks go back, so I timed my run to arrive there at 1:40 - a wise decision as they started the game at 2:00! :D There are indeed floodlights but in practice they are totally inoperable, the inner cabling and some of the bulbs having long since disappeared ….

The clubhouse is at the side of the SturFit leisure centre, and was pretty busy. The Ostrich espied a buffet, but was warned off as it transpired it was for club sponsors, not a free bird table :( . The pitch itself is up a flight of steps, and there was a gentleman wandering around the entrance to it who was apparently deputed to collect admission money, but had to be prompted to actually accept the cash. The only cover was a sort of long cattle byre over concrete hardstanding, with remnants of floodlights and freestanding plastic chairs dotted about. Headroom was low; the Ostrich had difficulty in standing upright inside it (it’s that long neck :D ), so spent the game gratefully leaning against the pitch railing.

It was pretty obvious from the start that both sides had shocking defences, but the home side, who had most of the play, failed to capitalise on the numerous chances they created. After 17m, Bridport gave away a soft penalty, but their keeper got down well to block a hard-hit spot-kick to his right. Bridport then took the lead when their no.5 managed to screw the ball in from an impossibly tight angle after the home keeper had tried to intercept a cross he never had a hope of reaching. A well-timed run around the back of a hesitant defence by Bridport’s no.7 after 35m made it 0-2, but Sturminster pulled a goal back just before the interval, no.8 nodding in a corner.

Chances galore in the second half, but Sturminster managed to score three further goals, including a bizarre number where the Bridport keeper, dribbling the ball to the edge of his area, failed to see a lurking opposition striker until too late, panicked :o , and gifted the striker an open goal! Deserved win for Sturminster, but boy did they make hard work of it!

Classic repartee during game:
Oldtimer: “It’s that ruddy female referee again. We ‘ad ‘er down at Blandford. Sent off our centre-forward, so she did. Lost us the game!” :evil:
Ostrich: “Yes, but did he deserve the red card?”
Oldtimer: “Well …..” :?
-------
Ostrich: “That Sturminster no.7 should have done better with that shot …” :roll:
Lady standing next to Ostrich: “Yes, I shall be ‘avin serious words with ‘im on the way home!” :twisted:
Transpired she had two sons playing in the team! :mrgreen:

Dorset Senior League: Sturminster Newton United 4 Bridport Reserves 2
Admission £2, no programme, tea 70p and unlimited bikkits 50p (donation), attendance 43
TheOstrich

Postby Ally » 20 Nov 2016, 08:54

Nice read thanks Ossie.

I've had more people in my house for a party than there was at that game. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Bikkits. :lol:
Ally
Site Admin

Postby JoM » 20 Nov 2016, 10:49

:lol: :lol: Fab write up Ossie. Love the unlimited bikkits :lol:

And The Charlatans and Johnny Marr one week later
JoM

Postby Kaz » 20 Nov 2016, 17:39

:lol: Excellent :lol:
Kaz

Postby TheOstrich » 26 Nov 2016, 23:08

26/11 – Ossie has been in a silly mood all week, sniggering like Mutley, chortling about Piddles and Puddles :lol: . That’s because I’d slated this Saturday to visit one of the rugby clubs on my bucket-shop list, Puddletown RFC, who play on a pitch behind the Piddle Brewery just south of Piddlehinton. A 50-odd mile round trip, and probably the last “major” excursion for a while now, as the days are shortening and the weather growing increasingly wintery.

The trip down I am beginning to know well, south across the Blackmore Vale to Sturminster Newton, through the town and keep on going towards the coast, past King’s Stag and down the River Piddle valley. A typical cold autumnal Dorset scene, heralding the end of the year, blue-grey skies above an orange horizon, pierced by glistening yellow shafts of sunlight above faded green fields and stark copses. Plus a bevy of typical Dorset kamikaze pheasants meandering across the middle of the road round every turn :roll: . We have seen an extraordinary number of cock and hen pheasants on our countryside jaunts of late; they are certainly not an endangered species, motor cars not-withstanding.

Puddletown RFC is helpfully signposted off the Dorchester road, left up a lane into a trading estate - which turned out to be vast, and that initial signpost was the only signpost mentioning the club. The estate is called Enterprise Park, but certainly isn’t modern; I have an old Ordnance Survey map which shows the location as a sort of army camp. Most of the smaller units looked like old Nissan-style huts; of the brewery and the rugby club there was no trace, but I did discover amongst other trades a large John Deere agricultural machinery outlet, a glass fibre works, a print shop, a members gym, and a canteen called “The Griddle on the Piddle” :D . After 10 minutes or so driving around, I reached the outer edges of the estate on top of an incline, and spotted behind me a single rugby pitch; it took me a further 5 minutes to work out how to access it.

The club have converted one of the ubiquitous Nissan huts into a changing room block, and have also managed to construct a small clubhouse alongside it. This might have been a fairly recent development as the inside walls were all rough-hewn wooden planks. The tables were also rough-hewn wood, surrounded by blue bar-style chairs, and there was an ancient sofa against one wall. One must also not forget to mention the Jolly Roger skull-and-crossbones bunting criss-crossing the floor and the two inflatable seagulls suspended from the ceiling ….. :shock:

One problem at this level of rugby, one off the bottom, is that sometimes clubs can’t muster sufficient players to fulfil a fixture – if this happens, the game is recorded as a Home or Away Walk-Over and the errant club receives a penalty of 5 league points. The opposition, Lychett Minster RFC seconds (from down Poole way) have already fallen foul of this rule twice this season, so I was a little bit perturbed to find that by 2:15, only 10 players had made it to the ground, and the coach was frantically ringing round on his mobile. In the event, 13 players made it by the start (around 2:40, I don’t think kick-off times mean a great deal down this way) and Puddletown sportingly loaned them “Gary”, much to the amusement of the home supporters :D , so we played 14 vs 14.

As for the game, Puddletown started how they meant to go on, carving through their opponents defence – it would have been nice to have said elegantly, but that wouldn’t have been the right word. In fact the first half delivered a master-class in how to engineer mistakes, and the home side’s 29-0 interval lead could have been a lot more if they hadn’t dropped the ball twice in front of an open try-line. Pick of the action was a quick throw-in by a Puddletown player, who completely by mistake threw the ball to an opponent; the opponent was so startled :o , he ran 10 yards in the direction of the try-line, then stopped as he had absolutely no support from his own players, and promptly booted the ball into touch. And a try by Puddletown’s no.11 who ran 20 yards while desperately trying to offload the ball to a fellow attacker, managed to stumble his way through three missed tackles, and finally collapsed over the line :D .

Lychett Minster conceded a further 7 tries in the second half, but did manage to force their way over for a try of their own, before the referee called time on the match seven minutes early.

Prior to the game, the Ostrich had had time to wander round the nearer parts of the trading estate, looking for the micro-brewery, and indeed did discover outside “Unit 1” a stack of around 100 beer kegs, which appeared to have originated from various other breweries including West Sussex, London, Stourbridge and Bude! However there was no activity at the unit, nor at the two alongside it (identified as Units 12 and 26, for some obscure reason) which also were surrounded by barrels. A crestfallen Ossie :cry: , but his spirits were more than raised when the rugby club’s bar was thrown open at half-time, and a whole array of Piddle Brewery bottles were found to be on sale. The bird quickly liberated one as a souvenir of the day! :mrgreen:

Dorset & Wilts 2 South (Level 9): Puddletown RFC 66 Lychett Minster RFC II 7
No admission or programme, mug of tea £1, bottle of Piddle Premium Ale* £3, attendance 28

* “What are you waiting for? Join the real ale revolution at the top. The Dorset legend, a thing of beauty, Crafted in Dorset’s Piddle Valley – 4.1%”
TheOstrich

Postby Ally » 27 Nov 2016, 01:47

Now I am totes loving the ale theme - I just flippin love a good beer! :lol: :lol:

(If you ever get the chance Ossie check out the Two Towers Brewery, Shadwell Street in Birmingham.)

Sorry...back to the footy....great read. :D :D

Piddle valley. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Ally
Site Admin

Postby Kaz » 27 Nov 2016, 10:25

:lol: Ossie I just love how the Puddle is just behind the Piddle :P :lol: :lol: :lol:

I am enjoying your descriptions of Dorset, as mentioned before my inlaws live down there - in fact if (god forbid) you ever had a mishap down there with a dodgy sausage roll chances are my brother in law the paramedic might scoop you up, and my nephew, a nurse in Dorchester A&E, might patch you up ;) :lol: :lol:
Kaz

Postby Ally » 27 Nov 2016, 10:57

Kaz wrote::lol: Ossie I just love how the Puddle is just behind the Piddle :P :lol: :lol: :lol:

I am enjoying your descriptions of Dorset, as mentioned before my inlaws live down there - in fact if (god forbid) you ever had a mishap down there with a dodgy sausage roll chances are my brother in law the paramedic might scoop you up, and my nephew, a nurse in Dorchester A&E, might patch you up ;) :lol: :lol:

:lol: :lol:
Ally
Site Admin

Postby JoM » 27 Nov 2016, 13:48

Loving reading these Ossie :lol:

And The Charlatans and Johnny Marr one week later
JoM

Postby cromwell » 30 Nov 2016, 10:27

Ah the river Piddle / Puddle!
I was in a pub in Piddletrenthide (?) years ago, it is a lovely part of the world. Nice report Os.
"Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored" - Aldous Huxley
cromwell

PreviousNext

Return to The Shed