The Chronicles of Ostrick ....

For the chaps here

Re: The Chronicles of Ostrick ....

Postby TheOstrich » 30 Nov 2016, 17:50

cromwell wrote:Ah the river Piddle / Puddle!
I was in a pub in Piddletrenthide (?) years ago, it is a lovely part of the world. Nice report Os.

I think there's a couple of wayside pubs in Piddlethrenthide, Crommers, from what I recall driving through it. One of them was very old, 16th century sort of thing. It's the next village up the road from Piddlehinton.

The clubhouse seemed to have quite a range of bottled beers from the Piddle micro-brewery, Ally. As this is a family forum, I won't list the names of the other beers they produce, I'll let you google them .... :mrgreen:
TheOstrich

Postby Kaz » 30 Nov 2016, 18:12

There are a lot of Piddles down there - must be all that ale and cider ;) :D :lol: :lol: :lol:
Kaz

Postby Ally » 02 Dec 2016, 07:50

:lol: :lol: :lol: Ossie.
Ally
Site Admin

Postby TheOstrich » 03 Dec 2016, 22:53

We have an excellent weekly journal down here - the Blackmore Vale Magazine - free if you live in the Vale, the rest of you beggars pay! :evil: 120pp of local features and many adverts - Staff Required for Busy Game Farm, Cattle Insemination Services, Christmas Coffee Mornings, Traditional Folk Music Sessions sort of thing - and in this week's edition there's actually a three-column report of that Puddletown rugby match, complete with action photo! :) Marvellous!

--------

03/12 – I’m sure it hasn’t gone beyond the notice of those hardy northerners on this board that this last week, there has been a bit of an inversion in the weather, and us “dahn sarf” have been experiencing a really frightful cold snap, with temperatures plunging to -7 and -9 degrees Centigrade :o . Here in the rural Blackmore Vale, we’ve had three days of chill easterly winds and nights of hard frost, culminating on Thursday when we awoke to an absolutely magical Winter Wonderland scene – the overnight fog lingered all day with the sun a vague yellow circle in the sky and the trees and bushes were shrouded white in frost and rime. Every single cobweb was a delicate white rope, and our resident pigeon could be found standing forlornly on the ice in the middle of the bird-bath :) . All of which was a key to the Ostrich drawing his horns in this Saturday, staying local, and knocking off the last of the “home town” grounds he had so far not visited.

Shaftesbury is an absolute pig to drive around, even worse than Walsall, which is saying something. From Gillingham, (well, from most directions actually) you approach it up a steep hill (a favourite site for the Dorset Speed Watch camera van monitoring descending traffic) and can turn off right into a series of narrow streets, with minimal footpaths, that lead to the town centre. Most towns have a “high street” which runs in a straight line from “here” to “there”; Shaftesbury is unusual in that the main street is an oxbow that runs from “here”, only to double back on itself to finish about 50 yards south of “here” :shock: . This makes navigation somewhat confusing, for the pedestrian as well as the motorist. Unfortunately, Shaftesbury and Gillingham are rather symbiotic – the former has the shops (Edinburgh Woollen Mill, WH Smiths, Boots) and the major banks, whilst the latter has the railway station and Waitrose. Shaftesbury also has the local council recycling centre, which I’ve only visited twice, and on both occasions they’ve rapidly lowered the barrier as I arrived, keeping me outside for about 15 minutes :( while a man with a JCB went charging erratically round the site using his bucket to violently tamp the contents of assorted huge skips down to a manageable level. Still, Skevvy’s Café on the trading estate serves a decent Full English Breakfast. :mrgreen:

The other notable attraction of Shaftesbury is, of course, Gold Hill, where they filmed that famous Hovis advert, as couldn’t find anything picturesque enough north of Barnsley :evil: :D . It’s actually quite easily accessible, running down from the back of the Town Hall, in front of which is incongruously a large concrete cottage loaf on a plinth commemorating the event :lol: . Mrs O and I have staggered down the first part of Gold Hill, clinging like limpets onto the handrail whilst traversing the uneven cobblestones, to where the street opens out and curves downwards in that traditional picture – it is indeed very picturesque on the right day. And there’s a café. Which serves a decent Full English … :mrgreen:

Knowing that the soccer ground was somewhere behind the Tescos (which has the cheapest fuel in the area, worth remembering), last Thursday I went on a voyage of exploration to find the stadium, and a good thing I did so too, as the small car-park was marked for Members Only. So it was a question of parking on a council car park some distance away, and I chose the free long-stay one (which weekdays is usually full) by the A30 roundabout rather than the pay car-parks closer to the town centre. I’d plotted my walking route from there to the ground using the map in the local Town Directory; a bit of a mistake, as scale appeared to be an alien concept, and several key features were omitted, just to make life more interesting :o . I walked past the Shaftesbury Town Silver Band headquarters (motto: “Comitas cum Concordia”, meaning, I think “we will all make every effort to play the right notes at the right time :D ”), found my way to the crossroads by the Post Office, got totally disorientated, and took off along the wrong road out of town ….

The stadium itself, Cockrams, sports a rather nice clubhouse outside the ground, but inside is rather unpretentious, just a low-slung changing-room block with solar panels and a food hatch, and a long covered stand with bucket seats down one side. The dugouts and a covered standing area were on the far side, but nobody seemed to be using the latter, and the whole thing was enclosed by a hedge of conifer trees, which didn’t stop an evil wind fit to chill the bone-marrow today.
The match pitted 5th vs 6th in the table. The opposition, Tadley Calleva, were up from somewhere just north of Basingstoke. Tadley’s the village, and they added Calleva to their name in 2004 in honour of the nearby Roman town of Calleva Atrebatum. Both sides started strongly but Tadley took the lead on 7m when their ace goalscorer Brett Denham got the faintest of touches to the ball in the penalty area to steer it just inside the far post. Shaftesbury responded with a “goal” which was ruled out for offside, but Tadley then made it 0-2 with a complicated free kick routine on the edge of the area, involving two players jumping over the ball to cause maximum confusion before Charlsley simply strode up and wellied it straight into the net :lol: . The hosts then pulled a goal back, a free-kick of their own being driven in to the near post where Matuszwski flicked the ball home. It seemed that Shaftesbury might be able to pull the game back, but Denham had other ideas; Shaftesbury keeper Card did well to foil him on 39m but he then scored twice before half-time, both goals clinically taken from around 5 yards out.

At the interval, the Ostrich repaired to the clubhouse for a warm-up; so cold was it that as the bird stepped through the outside door, his spectacles totally fogged up leaving him floundering in the foyer :lol: ! The clubhouse also had a rather peculiar background smell, so Ossie was back pitch-side well before the restart.

At 1-4, the game looked over, and Tadley seemed fairly content to defend their lead; however on 73m, Denham broke through the home defence and scored his fourth of the afternoon, driving the ball over the keeper. Shaftesbury immediately pulled one back through Benjamin after Hatchard had seen two attempts blocked on the line. Following that, however, it all got slightly tetchy, nothing too serious, but the referee also slightly lost the plot. Approaching the final whistle, the Tadley manager did a Jose Mourhinho and got sent to the stand – well actually, he walked round behind the goal and stood next to me, muttering darkly about the officials :twisted: , only retreating into the conifers when the play and the referee got up that end. And in the 7 minutes of injury time, Shaftesbury scored twice, a close range Hatchard header and a penalty by Ford after a rather innocuous defensive misdemeanour. Not, however, enough to save the match, so Ossie’s Home Town Hoodoo continues unabated!

Wessex League Division 1 (Step 6): Shaftesbury 4 Tadley Calleva 5
Admission £3, informative 20pp programme £1, flaky, overbaked sausage roll £1, mug of stewed coffee £1, attendance 47
TheOstrich

Postby Ally » 03 Dec 2016, 23:04

Was it that cold Ossie? :shock:

I'm over next week...and I don't do cold! :lol: :lol:

Another great read my friend.
Ally
Site Admin

Postby Kaz » 03 Dec 2016, 23:10

Ally it has been perishing cold, but has warmed up a bit since yesterday. Tuesday night it was - 4 at 8pm here! :shock: :o
Kaz

Postby TheOstrich » 03 Dec 2016, 23:14

Yes it was that cold, Ally. Mind you, local folklore is that it's always 5 degrees colder up in Shaftesbury than it is down in the Vale ....

Took me ages to warm up, even when I got back into the house ... :shock:
TheOstrich

Postby Ally » 04 Dec 2016, 10:56

Thanks guys - I shall be packing my wee red coat methinks. I haven't worn it since I was in Brum last November! :lol:

It's very wet here today but also extremely mild. I can cope with that. :)
Ally
Site Admin

Postby cromwell » 04 Dec 2016, 11:59

Great report Os, loved it.

"Dorset she be beautiful, wherever you do go..."

That hill in Shaftsbury is indeed steep, me and MrsC tottered down it years ago.

Nothing picturesque north of Barnsley indeed! Nothing picturesque IN Barnsley though, that's for sure! :Hi:
"Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored" - Aldous Huxley
cromwell

Postby TheOstrich » 10 Dec 2016, 23:02

10/12 – Ossie has been twitching at the curtains this week :) – the arrival of a fourth bird-feeder and another half-ton of assorted bird seed has certainly been welcomed by our resident flock of 1 pigeon, 1 robin, 2 thrushes and around 187 tree sparrows. And a rather nondescript migratory visitor appeared on Thursday sending Mrs O and I scurrying to find our bird books, from which we believe we may have hosted a black redstart (like a thrush but with a distinctive grey stripe below the wings).

The Ostrich’s complex spreadsheets can be used to divide all the relevant soccer and rugby clubs in this area into two categories – those within 40 miles (109 clubs, believe it or not!) and those further afield. The game plan at the moment is to concentrate on visiting those clubs in the nearer category, as anything over an 80-mile round trip can be a bit taxing. So with the return of milder weather today, it was off to Bournemouth RFC, number 69 on the list, who thankfully don’t play in Bournemouth, but are one of four clubs based near Hurn Airport (as was, or Bournemouth International as it apparently now is). It should have been a straightforward trip, despite the murk and drizzle, but navigation went wrong in Wimborne Minster, where I thought I was doing the right thing following the signs that said “All through routes”, hoping to pick up the B3073, but what those signs invariably mean is “All through routes except the one you actually want”, and the next thing I came across was “Welcome to the Borough of Poole”! :shock: Anyway, after a skirmish with the northern suburbs of first Poole, then Bournemouth itself, I eventually found my way back to West Parley, and onto the correct road to the airport, breathed a sigh of relief at seeing floodlights lit up ahead of me, and promptly turned off into a driveway which I thought was the correct one but wasn’t, finishing up in a private school! :roll:

Chapel Gate is quite a serious sports hub; apart from the rugby pitches, there were soccer teams warming up over in one area, an indoor gun range for Cromwell :mrgreen: , and a caged hockey pitch where Bournemouth Hockey Club were playing a men’s league match. I stopped to watch it for a bit, but I’ve never been particularly attracted to the game. Everybody got very excited at a “short corner” or something, but the home player supposed to pick up the pass and whack it goalwards somewhat muffed his shot. Either that or it was good defending ......

The wooden-chalet style clubhouse is a bit all-purpose rather than specifically for the rugby followers, covering all the sporting activities on the site as well as including a day nursery, and at the end of the day, it actually it wasn’t all that big or attractive. The first team rugby pitch, however, is enhanced by a peculiarly-shaped triangular stand on the half-way line, in which the Ostrich managed to find a seat, just as well as it rapidly filled up as a respite from the drizzle suddenly turned back to rain during the first half.

The programme listed Bournemouth’s colours as “Sable & Or”. :shock: Pardon? Sable? Or?? Those of you with a knowledge of heraldry may be able to confirm this, but I presume that means black and gold, and the home team did indeed turn out in all-black with a dark yellow trim. Old Redcliffians colours, however, were listed as “Red and Black”, which was possibly taking the mickey, as they emerged in white shirts adorned with haphazardly-placed multi-sized circles coloured dark blue, light blue, red and grey, the whole effect looking like one of those colour-blindness sample test sheets, and the strangest kit I’ve seen since Pinley RFC (in Coventry) turned out in shirts which appeared at first sight to be adorned with those QR Code symbols you use to download apps, but on closer inspection turned out to be intricately designed jungle flowers ..... :lol:

Bournemouth are having an indifferent season whilst their opponents are in second place, hard on the heels of league leaders Camborne. On paper, an away cert, as they say, but Bournemouth more than rose to the occasion, some delicious kick and chases over the top creating havoc in the Redcliffians defence. Both sides traded early penalties before Bournemouth caught the away side cold with a beautifully executed kick and catch, putting Gleadowe away for a try under the posts, only for Redcliffians to pull the score back immediately when a relieving kick by a home defender was fired straight at Cavan who somehow managed to hang onto the ball and run it back over the line. By the interval, Redcliffians were 13-17 up and piling on the pressure.

Both sides started the second half cautiously and again traded penalties, making it 16-20 with 20 minutes left. Bournemouth suddenly clicked up a gear and Gleadowe was in for a well-worked try, then Chislett hoisted over a 30 yard dropped goal to make it 26-20. A remarkable victory looked in the offing! Four minutes from time, Redcliffians’ Coster was sent to the sin bin and Bournemouth’s Hancox notched a 35 yard penalty to make it 29-20, which looked like denying Redcliffians even a “losing bonus” league point (winning margin greater than 7) - but with the last kick of the game, Redcliffians’ Skelton replied with a superbly-taken nerveless penalty from wide to make the final score 29-23. A very entertaining game! :D

A final word about today’s referee – Charlie Gayther from Gloucester, only 22 years of age and already officiating at National League level. I suspect he’s being mentored and fast-tracked up the leagues - possibly a “name to remember for the future”. Apparently he’s just completed a BSc in Sports Coaching at Hartpury College, Kaz! 8-) Perhaps a tad whistle-happy at times, but he couldn’t really be faulted.

National 3 South West (Level 5) : Bournemouth RFC 29 Old Redcliffians RFC 23
Admission £5, glossy 32pp programme rammed with strange statistical information 50p, ham and tomato sandwich on white £2.50, coffee somewhat overpriced at £1.40, Snickers bar 75p, attendance 146
TheOstrich

PreviousNext

Return to The Shed