The Chronicles of Ostrick ....

For the chaps here

Re: The Chronicles of Ostrick ....

Postby TheOstrich » 31 Dec 2016, 21:42

31/12 – “You would think,” muttered the Ostrich, studying the latest issue of the Non-League Football Newspaper, “that with around 300 new teams to see and 100 new grounds to visit down ‘ere, I could find somewhere to go on New Year’s Eve …” But the strange truth of the matter is that this season, there has been a complete dearth of fixtures between December 26th and January 7th – all very odd! In fact, and rather annoyingly, the only game within a 30-mile radius of here, as far as I could tell, involved (a) a team I’d seen on Christmas Eve, playing at (b) a ground I’d visited on Boxing Day! :(

But beggars cannot be choosers, so off up the B road past Mere and a misty White Sheet Hill to Maiden Bradley, with its 12 century Post Office and Shop (I didn’t know the Co-op had been going that long :x ), and onwards past the fringes of the Longleat Estate to the SpecialEffect Stadium, Badgers Hill, Frome, to see Frome Sports take on Peasedown Miners Welfare. Frome Sports are nominally Frome Town FC’s reserves team, but nominally is the key word here, as I was told the Sports team had been given the opportunity to train weekday evenings with the first team squad, but at the end of the day, they couldn’t particularly be bothered. Nevertheless, they wear the red strip of the parent club and play on their first team pitch.

Peasedown St John lies a few miles from Bath and within the now-defunct Somerset coalfields. There were half a dozen collieries within a couple of miles of the village, but the last of the coalmines closed in the 1970’s; now it’s a dormitory village for commuters to Bath and Bristol. Back in the 1930’s, Roald Dahl used to live in the area and had a job selling kerosene to the locals, he mentions Peasedown St John in his autobiography. And according to Wiki, the actor Peter Alexander who plays someone called Phil Pearce in Emmerdale, grew up in the village. The soccer club, which was founded around 1900, has recently reverted to the “Miners Welfare” name from “Athletic” in order to honour the history of the area.

Frome Town’s SpecialEffect Stadium, the club’s home since 1904, is quite charming in a higgledy sort of way, with plenty of portakabins, obscure brick buildings, agricultural stands, and a huge white-washed social club dominating one end of the pitch, with a large function room and a couple of other bars. They’re currently in the process of raising £30k to replace and upgrade the floodlights, and have nearly reached that target.

The game itself was eminently watchable, and a 1-1 draw was probably a fair result, although Peasedown looked the more dangerous side up front, and possessed a 17-stone goalkeeper :shock: at the back who looked unhurried, unflappable, and pulled off a series of excellent saves and blocks. Frome Sports showed touches of the side that scored 6 in the 11-goal thriller I saw on Christmas Eve at Castle Cary, but the opposition were a much tougher nut to crack today.

Somerset County League Division 1 East (Step 8): Frome Town Sports 1 Peasedown Miners Welfare 1
Admission free, no programme, packet of cheese ‘n onion crisps and a cuppa coffee from the clubhouse £1.80, attendance 39, most of whom were supporting Peasedown!
TheOstrich

Postby Ally » 02 Jan 2017, 08:05

Walkers or Smith's? :lol: :lol:

Happy New Year Ossie, keep going to the footy and keep reporting on here my good man. :D :D :D
Ally
Site Admin

Postby JoM » 02 Jan 2017, 14:03

What a bargain! Free admission!
No football for me until Feb 1st at the moment. Tickets are hard to come by this season. Joe's off to the Stoke v Wolves FA Cup match on Saturday with his friends. Ed's a Stoke season ticket holder and Gary supports Wolves. Ed's sorted the tickets so obviously they're sitting with the home supporters. Poor Gary!
Refreshing to see though that tickets for the under 17s are priced at £5!

And The Charlatans and Johnny Marr one week later
JoM

Postby TheOstrich » 02 Jan 2017, 15:54

Walkers, Ally. You don't really see Smiths anymore. Actually a that's rather interesting question - are Smiths still going; anyone know?

Jo, my visit to The Hawthorns two seasons back cost me only £10 for a 3rd round FA Cup tie vs Gateshead (or it might even have been £5 oldie concession). Normally you wouldn't see me with a country mile of a Premiership club.
I am not sure if the prices aren't "controlled" by the FA for cup ties. I recall there was a bit of a row because either West Brom or Gateshead, can't recall which now, wanted to charge £20, the maximum permitted, but the other club wanted the lower figure. I beleive it was West Brom that insisted on the £10 adult admission because they wanted to get some sort of turnout, and didn't think they would if they charged £20 for a non-league side. In the event, I think the crowd was around 17,000 odd, not bad really ....
TheOstrich

Postby Ally » 02 Jan 2017, 15:58

Yes..i bought some in Birmingham city centre not long ago. :D
Ally
Site Admin

Postby TheOstrich » 02 Jan 2017, 16:02

Cheers, Ally! :D

JoM wrote: Poor Gary!!

Reminds me of a match I attended in London back in the 1990's which also doubled as a reunion with two ex-school mates. We were from the Midlands, but currently living in Somerset, Sheffield and London, hence the venue, and the away side was in fact West Bromwich Albion.

We could only get admission on the day with the home supporters. To say we were as quiet as church mice throughout the game would be an understatement.

The home side were Millwall ....... :shock: :shock: :oops: :lol:
TheOstrich

Postby JoM » 03 Jan 2017, 14:13

LOL Ossie! lol: :lol: :lol:

There doesn't seem to be any discounts at Old Trafford for the FA Cup game, but it looks like sales are low because it's one of the few games where members can buy more than one ticket, we can buy up to four per membership. That usually only happens for a game on a cold night in February aka John's one football match of the season. We're taking him to see Hull this year but he doesn't yet know...

JoM

Postby TheOstrich » 07 Jan 2017, 19:59

07/01 – only a short report today, as constrained by having to pick Master O up from Gillingham Station at 1:15 and deliver him to the Ostrich’s Nest, the bird opted to visit Shaftesbury FC for the third time this season, their opponents being the relegation-threatened Andover New Street. Gillingham railway station has a take-away / eat-in café on the main platform run by two young students, and they have scooped the prize in the 2016 Taste of Dorset Awards for Best Independent Tea Room or Café 8-) . Full marks to the lads for enterprise, but a resounding raspberry :P for hiking their prices, presumably as a result of their new-found fame – a 10% increase to bring a simple bacon bap to £3.00 is slightly eyebrow-raising. I bought Master O and myself one each to celebrate his arrival, but I wouldn’t make the place a regular venue at that sort of cost.

Driving out of Gillingham towards Shaftesbury, it quickly became apparent that the latter, up the hill, was pretty much invisible thanks to low cloud! :| Cockrams, the football ground, was wreathed in rolling murk; you couldn’t see the Tesco fuel station on the other side of the conifer fence, and both goals were only just about visible from the middle of the pitch. The Ostrich accosted the referee and linesman during their warm-up, wished them good luck for the game, and requested they try not to abandon it until the second half so a least it would then count in the bird’s records! :lol: In the event, the fog seemed to be more prevalent on one side the pitch than the other, and thankfully after the interval slowly eased away. Nevertheless, it was difficult at times to follow the white ball in the floodlit gloom, and Andover’s white numbers on the back of yellow shirts were pretty much indistinguishable.

Shaftesbury set the scene when Finnigan missed a complete sitter on 5 minutes, shooting wide, and after that threatened to overwhelm their visitors but couldn’t find the back of the net until the 35th minute. Andover promptly equalised 3 minutes later!

Matuszewski put Shaftesbury 2-1 up just before the interval, and they went on to score a further 5 goals in the second half. They’re actually a very entertaining team to watch, a direct, hard-running side with the accent firmly on attacking play. Today’s game was quite a feisty encounter and Andover’s midfield terrier, with the unlikely name of Jazz Beavis, duly got his marching orders for a second yellow card on 76m :evil: . A deserved win for the Rockies who are currently 5th in the table, but still some way off a promotion place. It will be interesting to see where they finish up .....

Wessex League Division 1 (Step 6): Shaftesbury 7 Andover New Street 1
Admission £3, programme £1, cuppa tea inna mug £1, attendance 74
Last edited by TheOstrich on 08 Jan 2017, 16:32, edited 1 time in total.
TheOstrich

Postby JoM » 07 Jan 2017, 21:40

Not such a cheap day out today Ossie!

By the way, did you read about Hednesford Town selling a left back to Arsenal for £40,000?

JoM

Postby TheOstrich » 07 Jan 2017, 23:59

JoM wrote:Not such a cheap day out today Ossie!

By the way, did you read about Hednesford Town selling a left back to Arsenal for £40,000?

Yes I did, Jo - I was going to have a look back to see if I'd seem him play at all but I gather he only joined the Pitmen in the last close-season. Hednesford were lucky they got £40k for him - frequently, non-league sides lose out when big clubs come calling because their talented youngsters simply aren't tied-down under contract.

Another ex-non-league player whom I have seen in recent seasons, at Solihull Moors, is Omar Bogle - he's a striker and currently with Grimsby Town. I've seen rumours he may be stepping further up the leagues before too long ....
TheOstrich

PreviousNext

Return to The Shed