Four Weddings and a Penalty Shootout

For the chaps here

Re: Four Weddings and a Penalty Shootout

Postby TheOstrich » 27 Aug 2017, 00:07

19/08 – “Shud’ve gone to Warminster,” muttered the Ostrich, darkly. :evil: And who could blame him? …. only two local midweek Wednesday fixtures, Warminster and Sherborne Town, and in due remembrance of last week’s gluttony, as Mr Speaker John Bercow would intone after a Commons vote – “The Pies ‘ave it – the Pies ‘ave it!” :mrgreen: So armed with plastic fork, our intrepid bird turned up at the refreshment hut at Sherborne Town, this time for a first team Western League fixture vs Bishops Lydeard, only to find – no pies! :o A public enquiry was immediately launched. If I’ve got this right, it transpires that the guy who makes the pies gives 30p profit for each one sold to the club, whereas if the club themselves fire up the chip fryer and serve the usual staple of burgers and hot dogs, they make 50-70p profit per serving. So the pies will only be on sale at Reserves matches, where they don’t expect such a big crowd, and the First Team supporters will get the usual bog standard football fayre. Ossie bought a plate of chips and subsided crossly into a seat in the stand ….. :(

The other interesting feature of this match was the referee, Linda Lindskog, who you may recall we met on a couple of occasions officiating in the Dorset Premier League last season, when she had a couple of very good games. Well, she got her promotion to the higher-grade Western League (despite some fitness issues, I gathered), and was in the middle tonight. She had a bit of a nervy start and should have stamped her authority on the game as early as the 5th minute after a minor clash, but didn’t do so. I don’t think the assessor sitting behind me was overly impressed! In a rumbustious game, two of the four goals were own-goals, which tells you all you need to know about the standard of the two defences, and Bishops Lydeard won it 1-3.

Saturday morning, Ossie stepped out of the back door armed with the washing basket and pegs (and ostrich feather whisk to terrorise the hard-spinning Dorset spiders on the rotary line :D ), to be greeted with a fly-past by the Red Arrows, in arrow formation, right over the house! :shock: Looking on their website, they were at Sidmouth Regatta yesterday evening, and were to display at a festival at Overton, Hampshire late this morning, so I guess they may have billeted overnight at RNAS Yeovilton, about 15 miles away from us. Quite an unexpected sight!

Today’s game featured a team that play in claret and blue and whose club badge features two crossed hammers. Not West Ham, however – Hamworthy United :lol: Hamworthy is at the end of the B3068 which runs down the western side of Poole Harbour, and if I’d driven any further south, I’d have been in the English Channel! In fact, just at the back of the football ground, I could see what appeared to be a modern sculpture comprising two triangular spinnaker-like sails. I thought no more about this until I glanced across to it – and it seemed to have vanished! :? About 10 minutes later, it had reappeared again. :shock: Confused, I asked a local. “Oh, that’s Twin Sails,” I was told. “It’s a bridge across the Harbour basin.” And keeping an eye on it, I suddenly saw what appeared to be a single edifice split in two and lower slowly to the horizontal. Quite weird! Here’s a link to Wikipedia:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Twin_Sails_Bridge

Hamworthy United play at the County Ground which is also the administrative headquarters of the Dorset County Football Association. It’s a 3G synthetic turf pitch, which is about a year old and cost, I’m told, the best part of half a million quid. It’s still got lots of rubber crumb on the surface which tends to spurt up as the ball bounces. It was a game with a lot of “incident” in it, overseen by a referee who rather took offence at the constant low-level dissent from both sides, and with that and petty fouls, booked at least eight players. :roll: But it didn’t really seem that sort of game. Hamworthy came out with a shoot on sight policy and the Fareham keeper pulled off one excellent diving save before being substituted after 19m, presumably for an injury, but it wasn’t obvious. Fareham had already had an attempt of their own cleared off the line by then. An almighty but fruitless scramble in the Fareham penalty area left one of their defenders needing lengthy attention, and just before the interval, the home keeper pulled off a brilliant save, diverting an effort from Fareham’s James Carrier. The cynic in me was getting resigned to my second 0-0 of the season … :|

Eventually, Hamworthy got the breakthrough on 57m when the away keeper spilled a long-range effort, and O’Sullivan tapped in the rebound. Fareham were being worn down and pegged back, and the second goal came after 80m, substitute Rose heading home a right-wing cross. Fareham might feel aggrieved they didn’t get at least a point out of this match, but Hamworthy simply ground out a win today.

Wessex League Premier Division (step 5): Hamworthy United 2 Fareham Town 0
Admission: £4, programme £1, scratch-card £1, orange J2O and salt ‘n vinegar crisps from the bar £3, two bacon rolls at £2 each, attendance 84.
TheOstrich

Postby JoM » 28 Aug 2017, 19:37

Our old friend Linda! :D

No pies at the football though??? :shock:

We're facing stricter security checks this season, no large bags allowed and you also have to turn around to be patted down. Therefore an email was sent out requesting that all supporters should be at the ground 2 hours before kick off to ensure that they don't miss the start of the game. Of course, the club didn't send this email out until three days before the first game of the season - by which time I'd booked a train which would get us into Piccadilly, 3 miles from the ground, 90 minutes before kick off. We had to get a tram rather than taking our usual walk but we made it in good time.

As an incentive, there's now going to be Happy Hour at the refreshment kiosks (soft drinks, hot drinks and alcohol) inside the ground to encourage people to get in early, it'll end an hour before kick off.

And The Charlatans and Johnny Marr one week later
JoM

Postby TheOstrich » 28 Aug 2017, 21:02

As an incentive, there's now going to be Happy Hour at the refreshment kiosks (soft drinks, hot drinks and alcohol) inside the ground to encourage people to get in early, it'll end an hour before kick off.

That's not a bad idea, Jo - as long as the refreshments are competitively priced. How much for coffee, how much for a burger?

I tend to get to my grounds usually about 90 minutes before the kick-off, but that's only to ensure (a) I can find the ground, (b) I can secure parking on-site (Poole Town is going to be fun when I try a game there :twisted: ) and (c) I can get a programme before they sell out. I then hole up in the bar with a juice and watch BT Sports or Sky Sports on the widescreen .... :D
TheOstrich

Postby JoM » 28 Aug 2017, 21:20

It sounds like it'll be pretty good value actually Ossie. It'll be around £2 for a bottle of beer (400ml?) I think, which will be cheaper than the pubs nearby I'd imagine. Coffee will be under £1.50.

We usually take in 19p bottles of water from Home Bargains up the road :D :lol:

JoM

Postby Kaz » 28 Aug 2017, 22:16

Sorry to hear about "Piegate" Ossie! :o ;)
Kaz

Postby cromwell » 29 Aug 2017, 08:48

Sorry you got hornswoggled with the pies Os. Another great report; you have a real talent for this.
"Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored" - Aldous Huxley
cromwell

Postby TheOstrich » 03 Sep 2017, 00:04

02/09 – Two midweek games to report as clubs try to pile in as many fixtures as they can before the weather changes. First to Wincanton for a Western League match with Portishead Town which ended 3-3. The visitors arrived late due to yet another accident on the M5, this time south of Clevedon, but we got underway reasonably on time. An excellent game which saw a disputed penalty just before half-time after the away keeper lost the ball under pressure and took out an attacker whilst trying to recover it. A cast-iron spot kick, but a brave call by the referee (under assessment) not to blow up for the initial incident – I’m quite sure many would have done as a matter of course. Protests were still flying, needless to say, as the teams left the field at the interval. The other major incident was the away no.11 refusing to leave the pitch (having been red-carded for a bad foul) before he’d exchanged pleasantries with the home bench :twisted: , who had been loud-mouthing it all evening. Needless to say, a bout of handbags ensued! :roll:

The second match was a Dorset Premier League fixture between Mere Town in Wiltshire and Westland Sports from Yeovil in Somerset. Go figure …. :D Anyway, a frantic affair, high-tempo chasing, much swearing, more arm-waving than a club rave, all superbly controlled by a referee with a voice like a foghorn - I was so engrossed, the whistle at the end of the first half took me totally by surprise; I’d hardly glanced at the old stopwatch all evening! The teams then only took a 5 minute break on the pitch, possibly a good thing as, given there’s no floodlights at Mere, we finished in near darkness. Mere were under the cosh for a lot of the game and survived thanks to a stolid defence, a bit of inspired goalkeeping, and an awful lot of chances wasted by Westlands – the home side had some chances of their own, but will nevertheless regarded it as a league point well won, I reckon. That’s the second 0-0 of my season, both Step 7 and both played in Wiltshire. Hmmmm ….. :evil:

So to today, and stumbling bleary eyed into the kitchen early morning, Ossie glanced out of the window and spotted a sparrowhawk perched on our back fence. 8-) The shape, the size, and the barred plumage on the breast, were a bit of a give-away. A few months back, our neighbour opposite told me he’d also spotted one, so we weren’t overly surprised.

Well, having accomplished 16 soccer matches so far this season, now we’re into September, so it’s time to open my rugby union account! I concluded last season watching Bishop’s Stortford RFC clinch the National 2 South title at Exmouth, so today, like them, I started my 2017/18 with a game in National 1.

Surrey-based club Esher RFC have excellent transport links, lying just 500 yards up the main road from Hersham station, on the Waterloo - Woking line. There is an indication on their website that there are plans for a housing development on the ground, but when I enquired today, I was told that nothing concrete had been proposed and it was thought planning permission had lapsed anyway, so I guess they’ll be playing at Molesey Road for a while yet. Admission is bought from a ticket office by the main entrance to the car park, which is not the biggest, and it’s £5 to park (as my old school colleague Brian found out today after we’d agreed to meet up there). Inside, the large, functional clubhouse is on the left, and to the right is an equally large burger bar and grill :D , and the club shop. The main feature of the ground is a glorious old stand down the length of one side of the pitch, steel structure but containing a steep array of wooden bench seating. The scoreboard sits rather incongruously under the eaves at one end of it. The other side of the pitch is a small raised grassy bank, which many were lounging on today in the summer sun.

The game pitted Esher against newly-promoted Old Elthamians RFC, and in a very interesting first period, it looked like a classic case of irresistible force vs. immovable object as OEs defended stoutly in the face of a surging home attack. But the penalties were going OE’s way; they were intercepting the loose ball and short kicks from hand, and pinching the line-outs. Slowly, OEs started forging forward, and Esher became a little ragged; when Irving put OEs 0-7 up on 11m, I wondered if we might have been in for a low-scoring shock result. However Esher got on the board with an easy penalty and ran up a 17-7 lead by half-time with some quite flamboyant play, and some stunning runs from both wingers.

The game drifted a bit after the break, and was marred after 55m by a serious injury to an Esher player, the captain Paul Roberts, I think, who had to be carefully stretchered off :| . OE’s notched a second try on 67m to make the score an interesting 20-14 at that point, but Esher pulled away with three late tries of their own to seal the match. Because of the injury delay, I had to cut the last couple of minutes (thus missing the final try :evil: ) to secure my return train, which I only just caught by the skin of my teeth. Home by 7:30 after a rather exhausting day out ….

National League 1 (Level 3): Esher RFC 39 Old Elthamians RFC 14
Admission: £12, programme £1, bacon bap £2, frizzled the way I like it 8-) ; J2O and Diet Coke £3:40, attendance my guess would be around 500.
Sartorial elegance note: Replica club shorts purchased by Ossie in the shop for £25. They were very good, and allowed me to go try them on in the gents so I could decide the waist-line size :? …… unlike my current disreputable green and red Broadstreet RFC shorts, this new pair are predominantly black, so I am hoping Mrs O will allow me out of the house in them …. :lol:
TheOstrich

Postby Kaz » 03 Sep 2017, 09:01

TheOstrich wrote:
The second match was a Dorset Premier League fixture between Mere Town in Wiltshire and Westland Sports from Yeovil in Somerset. Go figure …. :D

Don't you just love living in the West Country, Ossie? :lol: :lol: I certainly do! :D :D ;)

Good luck on getting Mrs O's approval on the shorts! :Hi: 8-) :lol:
Kaz

Postby JoM » 03 Sep 2017, 10:35

The second match was a Dorset Premier League fixture between Mere Town in Wiltshire and Westland Sports from Yeovil in Somerset. Go figure …. :D

That's like when Cardiff and Swansea played each other when they were in the English Premier League :lol:

Loved reading about the midweek games :lol:

These should be compiled into a book Ossie, they're fantastic!

JoM

Postby TheOstrich » 03 Sep 2017, 19:27

Thanks. I do my best to try and keep this column light-hearted, despite the sometimes boring state of the football .... :D

And in that spirit, I offer you these two classics from the Esher RFC match-day programme, which was actually a cut above others of its ilk:

Firstly, the list of match sponsors includes: "Sin Bin Sponsor - BCL Solicitors LLP". I wonder if you get free legal representation ... :lol:

And this absolutely politically-incorrect report of the club's pre-season tour to Wales, penned by one Ollie Mines, veteran prop forward, who apparently spent all of last season rehabilitating from injury, but is now looking to make a come-back. He briefly took to the field against Llandovery, and recounts thus:

"Just a 15-minute cameo, where I managed to piss-off a Welshman enough to twat me in the gob. It turns out my aim has really suffered through lack of practice, because I only managed a glancing blow in repost [sic]. Oh well, maybe I'll get him next year."

Handbags at dawn, indeed! :twisted: :twisted: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
TheOstrich

PreviousNext

Return to The Shed