Four Weddings and a Penalty Shootout

For the chaps here

Re: Four Weddings and a Penalty Shootout

Postby TheOstrich » 30 Dec 2017, 20:27

30/12 – “Dumpty-DUMPTY-dumpty dum, twiddelly-iddelly-eye-doh!” trilled the Ostrich, as today’s fixture list was largely washed out by the passage of Storm Dylan overnight, leaving amongst the survivors an unlikely game featuring the lowest of low, Charlton United vs Manor Athletic, (aka “The Archers”). :)

My Plan A game, Wells City v Buckland Athletic, was called off early doors, and during a trawl for any match in the area still “on”, I noticed Manor had tweeted positively about this fixture, so I thought I’d turn up early for the 14:00 kick off, with games at Shepton Mallet and Shaftesbury as back-ups in case I found it was off - although trying to get back to Shaftesbury might have been pushing it a bit, judging by the lengthy tailback of traffic on the A303 eastbound, trying to enter the single carriageway section at Yeovilton. :shock:

Charlton United play at the Memorial Playing Field in Charlton Adam, on the west side of the Somerset village adjacent to the Westbury – Taunton railway line. From the east, west or south, take the A372 Somerton / Bridgwater (rather than the A37) off the A303 Podimore roundabout, and then first right on a country road up to the Charltons. Keep going through the village gates, and just before the road veers slightly left under a low railway bridge, turn right into Collins Lane, which quickly feeds into Top Road, and the villages’ slate-blue roofed two-storey sports hall looms up on your left. If you're coming from the north, good luck to you navigating the maze of roads between the A37 and the village centre .... :evil:

The sports hall is basically just an indoor basketball court, with changing rooms for the soccer, and a youth club upstairs, although up there, it appeared there was little more than a half-sized snooker table on a balcony! There is a small, heavily rutted car-park that’ll take around 25 vehicles, and at the far side of the rec, a children’s play area and a slightly worse-for-wear hard tennis court.

There are two soccer pitches on the site; the one closest to the sports hall parallel to the road doesn’t look to be used, judging by the rusty goal-posts, and the one tucked up in the far corner of the rec, next to the railway tracks, is the one used by Charlton United. Neither roped nor railed, pitchside “furniture” is limited to two benches (one rather hidden in a thicket) and a strange, green, metal half-pagoda which might seat six people at a squeeze. :?

With some time to kill before the game, I explored Station Road, but there’s no discernible trace of the old railway station (opened in 1906 and closed 1962) apart from a Network Rail access site. In the other direction, towards Charlton Adam village, the church of SS Peter and Paul dates from the 1300’s and the oldest of the peal of five bells, a pre-Reformation bell, was originally cast around 1490. The middle bell bears the inscription:

“I am not now as wonce I was,
Sq Stranwidg was the cavs”

I wonder what the said Squire got up to, to damage the dinger to such an extent that his exploits were immortalised …. :lol:

And whilst we’re on the subject, there’s a small clanger in the lobby of the sports club, tethered to the wall and described as an “emergency bell”. The Ostrich resisted the temptation …. :x

Billed on Twitter as a “massive tie between two heavyweights” 8-) , the game pitted 3rds vs 1st in the 11 team league, with just two points separating them. Both clubs are fairly recently established, with the visitors hailing from Yeovil, where they were, I gather, originally formed by a group of Screwfix (the nuts and bolts retailer) employees working at their Abbey Trading Estate store. Chatting to one of the players before the game, he turned out to also be their web-meister, and was highly amused to learn his tweet had increased the day’s attendance by one! The game started with a goal after 56 secs, M.9 putting the league leaders ahead with a free far-post header, and it could have been 0-3 by the third minute as M.10 skimmed one just wide and M.11 netted but was ruled offside. Charlton equalised on 14m with C.10 turning in a right-wing cross, and C.5, possibly the smallest guy on the pitch, headed home a free kick four minutes later. Manor went straight down the other end and M.10 whanged in a 20-yarder to make it 2-2. Exhilarating stuff, but after that the game got a bit scrappier. Still plenty of chances at both ends; goal-line clearances and crossbars rattled.

On 52m, M.7, at the far post, turned in a corner that everyone else had missed, and that left Charlton chasing the game. Their shooting became increasingly wayward, and Manor, at the end of the day, comfortably saw out the match for a victory that helps consolidate their position as top of the league.

Mindful of the heavy traffic on the A303, a return via cross country B roads, and back in the house shortly after 4:30.

Yeovil & District League Division 1: Charlton United 2 Manor Athletic 3
Admission free, refreshments now’t (be warned that the village post office / stores shuts at 12:30 on a Saturday ……), attendance 19
TheOstrich

Postby Ally » 30 Dec 2017, 20:36

NO FOOD??!!!!

Stores shut early on a Saturday? :evil:

Great read. ;) :)
Ally
Site Admin

Postby Kaz » 30 Dec 2017, 22:16

:o :shock: :?
Kaz

Postby cromwell » 01 Jan 2018, 11:56

"pitchside “furniture” is limited to two benches (one rather hidden in a thicket)" - this has killed me! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

No food though!
"Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored" - Aldous Huxley
cromwell

Postby TheOstrich » 02 Jan 2018, 01:18

These days, I think one's just grateful the local village stores is still going. I was chatting with an elderly dog-walker at the rec before the game; she said she makes sure she uses the village PO / stores two or three times a week, as without it, it would be a 4 mile drive into Somerton, which may not seem a major inconvenience, but if you're on a mobility scooter ..... :shock: :?

I only spotted the bench in the thicket because a WAG had taken up residence on it !! :lol: I decided to perch on the other one, which at least gave me a view of both ends of the pitch ... although the faithful old anorak seems to have now acquired some pigeon poo. Mrs O was not amused. :oops:
TheOstrich

Postby TheOstrich » 06 Jan 2018, 21:48

06/01 – The Ostrich has been walking around with a furrowed brow all week. Our comical bird is worried by a looming disaster in 2018. Brexit? President Trump? No, much more serious than that ….. Haggisgate! :|

Ossie’s traditional Saturday morning brunch of a tin of Grant’s Haggis accompanied by a tin of plum tomatoes is under threat as, just before Christmas, the “Temporarily Unavailable” sticker went up on the bottom shelf of the tinned meats section in Waitrose. :? In supermarket-speak, as you well know, this tends to mean “come back in six months and you might be lucky ….” What can the Ostrich do? He now has only a further two weeks’ supply laid in. Might he have to resort to Spaghetti Bolognaise, or Heaven Forfend, Heinz Beans and Sausage? :o It’s a worry. No alternative local supply has so far been sourced (although I might try Dike’s in Stalbridge, they might just carry it) and representations (or rather pleas) have been made to Waitrose’s Customer Service Desk. Watch this space ….. :)

A final word about the haggis brunch:
It is always lovingly seasoned with black pepper by Mrs O. However, I have noticed lately that the amount of pepper deployed depends on how many times I have wound her up over the preceding week … :twisted:

Wimborne RFC’s ground, Leigh Park, proved difficult to locate; it’s all a question of getting the right approach road (Gordon Road) off the B3073 in the eastern suburbs of the town – which I initially didn’t! I eventually tracked the place down after a good mile’s wandering round suburban roads, but then found, as I had suspected, that you’ve little hope of clinching a spot in the 25 space club car-park unless you arrive at the crack of dawn. However, there is plenty enough parking nearby on the rather run-down estate surrounding the ground.

Walking through the club carpark, you immediately find the two storey clubhouse which is a squat flat-roofed affair and very much in need of a good lick of paint, certainly on the inside. Reading between the lines on the club’s website, the current complex appears to be leased from the local council, and they want the rugby club - and also Wimborne Town FC, who play on the other side of town at Cuthbury – to relocate in order to facilitate residential development of the two existing grounds. It is being proposed under the latest plans that both clubs relocate to a site on the edge of the town, lying between the B3073 (Leigh Road) and the A31 Bypass; this will be developed as a mixed 500-home residential and sports area. It seems the idea may have been rumbling on for a number of years now without much progress, and Wimborne rugby haven’t been too pleased about all the uncertainty (not least because the first local council plan didn’t provide for a car park, floodlights, or a replacement clubhouse! :x ) Things may be starting to gather momentum, however, as local councils generally now have to address their new housing quotas, so the club may be on the move - but not, I suspect, any time soon, the way local councils work ….. :roll:

The clubhouse features downstairs changing rooms, and upstairs bar, which was cosy (settees you could sink in! ;) ), but somewhat cramped. Food is dispensed from a hatch by the bar by an undemonstrative Filipino couple, but they certainly provided superbly-fried chips from the look of them, although I didn’t indulge today. There is a small side room off, where a members’ buffet was being served. Outside, there are two pitches, the main one immediately behind and parallel to the clubhouse, the second pitch beyond that, and a few training floodlights sporadically scattered around. The pitches are said to drain well, thanks to the proximity of the River Stour which meanders close to the back of the ground. Hardstanding is provided along the back of the clubhouse for the main pitch, but Ossie chose to perch on a plastic chair in front of the windows in the upstairs bar, which provided a good panoramic view of the game, and where I was accompanied throughout the proceedings by a cheery bevy of away supporters who provided knowledgeable and entertaining company. And it was certainly warmer up there than standing outside on an increasingly raw day.

When the game between these two teams in the lower reaches of the division started very scrappily, I feared the worst, but having settled to the task, Wimborne and Grove played out a humdinger, with never more than 7 points between the teams and the lead changing hands six times in the second half alone. In an open game, at least 5 of the 10 tries in the game came from chip kicks over the defence. There was quite an edge between the two teams at times :twisted: , and a lenient referee might have dealt more harshly with the miscreants in a couple of mass brawls. I though the key moment might have come after 53m when with the score 17-18, a relatively easy Wimborne penalty hit the post and came back into play – neither side’s kicker had a particularly good day – but the home side retained their confidence and eventually won it with a last gasp try in the final play. A good early contender for my Match of the Season!

Whilst driving back through Wimborne town, Ossie did find himself suddenly eyeballing a lady waving a rather large European Union flag; however, the bird would like to state that it was very restrained and no fowl language was exchanged …… :mrgreen:

South West 1 East (Level 6): Wimborne RUFC 32 Grove RUFC 28
Admission by programme (sold for some reason at a table upstairs in the bar, rather than at the gate) £3; refreshments: from the clubhouse hatch, a sausage & egg bun £2, and fruit pastilles from the Leigh Park Stores up the road £1, attendance: around 100 (Ossie forgot to perform a head-count! :roll: )
TheOstrich

Postby Ally » 07 Jan 2018, 07:28

Oooh....how did you resist the chips Ossie?! I wouldn't have been able to. As someone who has never owned a deep fat fryer in her life, as someone who's not a fan of oven chips, any chance I get for 'fresh' chips I'm there! :lol: :lol:

I can't get my head round this tinned haggis malarkey. As a true Scot I know that the haggis runs freely on the Scottish braes and are delicious when caught and freshly cooked. :lol: :lol:

Another great read Ossie....I now find myself getting familiar with your A and B road descriptions! :lol: :lol:

Thank you for the time you spend doing these Ossie..I always look forward to reading them. :P :P :P

PS....I did laugh out loud at Mrs O and peppergate. :lol:

ETA - I googled tinned haggis :lol: :lol: :lol: and it looks like Asda sell a make called Hall's as well as Grant's? :lol:
Ally
Site Admin

Postby cromwell » 07 Jan 2018, 10:23

That's a close game Os. Haggis! :shock:

Well done on the avoidance of fowl language!
"Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored" - Aldous Huxley
cromwell

Postby Kaz » 07 Jan 2018, 11:24

:D Well done our Ally, for finding Ossie a new Haggis supplier! :lol: :lol: I now have a mental image of Ossie carrying a big butterfly net, chasing free-range haggises (haggi?) up and down yon Bonny braes :shock: :lol: :lol: ;

Another fun read Ossie :D :D
Kaz

Postby JoM » 07 Jan 2018, 13:07

Fab read Ossie :lol: Really laughing about the pepper :lol:

Joe's a big lover of haggis. I usually get him the Simon Howie haggis from Tesco. Ally, I've never owned a deep fat fryer either, we rarely have chips. We're yet to find a decent chippy around here, they've really gone downhill in recent years.

Talking of football, we were out walking Billy the other night along Cannock's poshest street when a car pulled up and asked if we knew where Saido Berahino lives. John just looked confused as to what had been asked while I pointed him in the direction of the gorgeous new build further along the road. I had to explain that a. he's a Premier League footballer and b. I know where he lives because Joe is friends with his nephew who also lives there :lol:
Could've also pointed him in the direction of Stan Collymore's house too though :lol:

And The Charlatans and Johnny Marr one week later
JoM

PreviousNext

Return to The Shed