Four Weddings and a Penalty Shootout

For the chaps here

Re: Four Weddings and a Penalty Shootout

Postby Ally » 21 Jan 2018, 00:20

£3.50 for a bacon burger? :o

That seems expensive to me.....Spanish food (whether at footy or in general) is just so much cheaper. :P

You had a burger and a pork pie? Mind you...if it was cold, food keeps you warm. :lol:

Absolutely love the fact you're in accordance with Mrs O's choices. You know it makes sense. :cute: :cute: :cute:

Ossie...I go out every Saturday evening and when I get home I always go straight to VV and read your report.

As always....today's was superb! 8-) 8-)

Ally
Site Admin

Postby TheOstrich » 21 Jan 2018, 01:01

A beef burger, a slice of fried bacon and onions in a bap, Ally. £3.50's about par for the course. But it was nothing special. No J2O, only orange juice from the bar, and they didn't stock any crisps either. :)

The pork pie I brought home for supper. Quite nice, actually, with some potted beetroot and horseradish relish left over from Christmas ...

As for the curtains ....

Mrs O: "I like the pink"
Ossie: (despairing and by now ready to agree to anything): "Yes, dear"
Mrs O: "What do you mean, you like the pink. You've never liked pink. How can you possibly have pink in that tip you call a bedroom. When are you going to tidy it up? :evil: "
Ossie: "But ...."
Mrs O: "We're not having pink. Let's look at that other sample book again ..... :twisted: "
TheOstrich

Postby Ally » 21 Jan 2018, 02:03

Thinking about it Ossie...the football grounds over here don't really do hot food.

Par for the course are bocadillos which the vast majority of fans bring from home (wrapped in foil) and they buy pipas at half time.

Tis very different to UK footy that's for sure....and I love it. :D
Ally
Site Admin

Postby cromwell » 21 Jan 2018, 10:57

Spanish football sounds very civilised Ally. Os, well done on finding a match on!

I had visions of you buying a hot pork pie to use as a hand warmer!

I've been there with the curtains scenario, too... :D
"Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored" - Aldous Huxley
cromwell

Postby Kaz » 21 Jan 2018, 16:20

:lol: :lol: :D Well done on the curtain "choices" Ossie, you know it makes sense 8-) :mrgreen: ;)
Kaz

Postby TheOstrich » 27 Jan 2018, 23:35

27/01 – A disastrous start to the week when Master O and other half arrived on a flying visit; the poor girl was travel-sick and took to her bed on arrival. However, within a couple of hours, she had been violently sick over the candlewick bed-spread (a complete write-off, as three washing cycles have failed to remove the muck, so it’s gone in the bin), the carpet in the en-suite (still heavily stained despite copious treatment with carpet cleaners) and in her travails, had fallen against and completely demolished the en-suite ceramic toilet-roll holder :o :shock: . No great loss over the en-suite; we’ve got to refurbish it at some point anyway, so I guess we’ll just move that project forward. Let’s just say it was a rather subdued visit thereafter ….. :)

Still, the current project, new bedroom window blinds and curtains, progresses – measurement have been taken, quotations have been issued, chuntered over at length :D , and finally deposit duly paid to clinch the January Sales discount.

I asked to pay the deposit by card, as one does, and got presented with a strange device which seems to be the latest American technology in bank card machine processing. It’s a chunky piece of equipment, a bit like a digital kitchen scales to look at, without the bit at the top on which you would plonk your pulses or potatoes or whatever. A computer touch screen prompts you for your pin number – no buttons. But here’s the unnerving bit. Get it wrong and it beeps at you. Get it wrong a second time and it beeps at you faster. Get it wrong a third time and it locks your card in the machine. It then displays a code number which you have to enter. As you bend over to do that, it (a) takes your mug-shot with a built in pinhole web-cam :shock: and (b) records your fingerprints as you use the touch screen. :o Somebody is monitoring it at the processing end, and phones the store you’re at to ask you a series of security questions. Get those wrong and the machine promptly chomps up your card!! :oops: That’s what I was told, anyway – thankfully, however, I do still get my numbers right!

I accept that we do need fraud prevention measures in this day and age – but I also just wonder whether the taking of a mug-shot and fingerprints, presumably without explicit permission, is entirely legal. First time I’ve encountered one - have any of you come across such a device?

To football, and it hasn’t really stopped raining all day down here :roll: , so another Saturday where the postponements due to waterlogging poured in, and the game finally attended was dictated solely by the weather. Axminster Tigers were the first team to tweet “game on”. Brockenhurst, in the New Forest, were a close second, and Ossie did deliberate over the venue, but reasoned that by going west, I might get out of the rain-belt quicker. And indeed, the skies lightened around the Yeovil area – but the rain just got harder! Nevertheless, it was a fortuitous decision, as Brockenhurst was apparently called off just before kick-off. I arrived at the Axminster ground early and confirmed that all was well and there was no reason the game wouldn’t go ahead before trundling down into the town for a mooch around.

Coming south from the direction of Chard, the entrance driveway to the ground is on the right, just after you enter the town boundary and the 30 mph zone. It’s well sign-posted, and turning into it, you wind down into the valley with the club’s youth team pitch on your right as you descend the final slope. There’s plenty of car parking available in front of the modern clubhouse and back up the track. As for public transport, although I could easily get to Axminster by train, it’s the other side of town from the railway station; a fair old yomp, and probably well beyond the capabilities of this ancient Ostrich! :lol:

Entering the ground in one corner, the spacious and well-appointed clubhouse is on your right, running along the touchline, with cover over the outside table area between the patio doors and the pitch. Beyond the bar, there’s a covered stand with around 100 seats, but it’s a bit low-raked so doesn’t perhaps give the best of views, especially if there’s a decent crowd. And beyond that, in keeping with the rural location, Ossie found a small Ford 1920 tractor! :D The pitch is railed, with the dugouts on the far side. Behind the goal nearest the entrance, there’s a large “funnel earth bank” (i.e. a mound) that apparently helps soak up any rainwater, so in consequence the pitch has held up well in the recent inclement weather. The Salisbury > Exeter railway line runs right behind the other goal. All in all, it’s quite an attractive little stadium.

Bovey Tracey (it’s a large village on the fringes of Dartmoor) started today’s match 4th in the table but with sufficient games in hand to be potentially league leaders. Axminster were 7th, but had played 4 games more than their visitors. The pitch was pretty greasy; sliding tackles were the order of the day, and at least one home player travelled an uncontrolled five yards on his backside! Games under these conditions can easily degenerate – it only takes one misplaced tackle :twisted: – but both teams, to their credit, fought hard but fair, and the referee didn’t need to wave any cards until the final quarter of the game. Plentiful chances at both ends, and some excellent reflex saves from both goalies, meant a 0-0 interval scoreline, and it could easily have stayed that way, but in the second half, Axminster got weaving (Axminster ... carpets .... weaving - OK, I'll get me coat .... :lol: ) and they wore their opponents down sufficiently to grab the lead on 55m when a corner to the near post was met by a ruck of players and somehow finished up in the net – goal credited to Axminster’s George Choplecki but I think it was more by luck than judgement. A second Tigers goal on 80m by Nathan Warren sealed the match, a long range drive across the keeper which hit the far post and went in.

A fast-paced, entertaining game; certainly one of the better ones I’ve seen this season. 8-)

South West Peninsula League Division 1 East (Step 7): Axminster Town 2 Bovey Tracey 0
Admission: £3.50 (concession) including an excellent 48pp glossy programme
Teams: announced at breakneck speed, and a subsequent attempt to track down the broadcaster’s booth by following the electrical leads back from the loudspeakers proved abortive. :roll: :lol:
Refreshments: £4 battered fish from a decent chippie in the town (the Lemon Plaice), £2.50 for a tea and a ham-filled tiger roll from the food hatch inside the bar, £2.40 for a J2O and a Yorkie bar from the clubhouse.
Attendance: 136 (Ossie’s headcount) - but augmented after half-time when both players and officials from the late-postponed Bridport v Buckland Athletic match turned up to watch! That had been my back-up match had Axminster been called off at the last minute ….. :)
TheOstrich

Postby Ally » 28 Jan 2018, 00:45

Candlewick bedspreads??!! I didn't know these were still around. :lol: My granny had a lurid pink one that was so heavy but made the bed lovely and warm. :lol:

Carpet in a loo...en-suite or otherwise. Not good. :lol: :lol:

Poor love....sounds like she had a really nasty time of it. Subdued visit is not surprising..... :(

As David and I were hiking today we were (7 hours hard core in) craving food that we can't get 'on tap' here. Battered fish, chips and lashings of salt & vinegar had us salivating! :lol:

Again Ossie....thanks for a great read! :D :D :D
Ally
Site Admin

Postby cromwell » 28 Jan 2018, 10:35

Bovey Tracey, is that where the tank museum is? Poor girl, with her travel sickness. (I feel guilty about laughing at your description of the carnage, Os!).

I've never come across such an inquisitorial machine Os, no. But probably we all will soon!

It sounds like a good old fashioned match you saw. I will admit I thought that you would refer to Axminster "piling forward" or "covering every inch"!
"Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored" - Aldous Huxley
cromwell

Postby JoM » 28 Jan 2018, 13:58

Oh blimey Ossie! Does she always suffer? Our two used to get travel sick on occasions but it'd pass very quickly.

Never seen one of those card machines!

And The Charlatans and Johnny Marr one week later
JoM

Postby TheOstrich » 29 Jan 2018, 14:52

I don't know, Jo - I think that something we might have to monitor. I suspect coming off a 12 hour nurse's shift before travelling didn't help.

Crommers, the Tank Museum is at Bovington, half way between Dorchester and Poole. One of Master O's old school-mates works there part time on the graphic displays; we went there many years ago when Master O was a nipper, and I think it has one of those old WW1 "Landships" as well as a German WW2 "Tiger" tank.

I must confess, I'd got no idea where Bovey Tracey was, had to look it up on a map. :oops: :lol: Actually it's a bit more than a village, more a small town, population nearly 5,000. The nearest "big town" seems to be Newton Abbott.
TheOstrich

PreviousNext

Return to The Shed