When a football team plays without fear.

For the chaps here

When a football team plays without fear.

Postby Workingman » 28 Oct 2017, 17:38

I have just watched one of the most enjoyable footballl games in a long, long time.

Under 17 World Cup Final: England 5 v 2 Spain.

Spain took a lead of 2-1 into the break and they deserved it with some sprkling moves and lethal finishing. Then came the second half. England just went at them: 1-2; 2-2; 3-2; 4-2 and 5-2.

The senior team needs to watch the video over and over and over again. Players passing the ball to players wearing the same kit, forward passes, moving around to make a pass possible, defending as though their lives depended on it. And it wasn't as if Spain played badly. When they went behind they too went looking for a goal. It was some game and well done to both teams.
Workingman

Re: When a football team plays without fear.

Postby miasmum » 28 Oct 2017, 17:50

I have just come to say exactly the same. What a truly cracking game. I have just posted this on Facebook:-

Well done England, cracking game. Let’s hope these youngsters get to play in their clubs first teams and get the experience they deserve to be our England team of the future Sadly though they won’t because the premiership clubs will continue buying from abroad

Completely agree with you Frank, but what was so obvious to me was how they played as a team. No glory hunting, no me me me, no prima Donna behaviour. Even when it got a bit lairy at the end both captains controlled it and for such youngsters I thought they were outstanding
miasmum

Postby Workingman » 28 Oct 2017, 19:37

miasmum wrote:... what was so obvious to me was how they played as a team.

Yes, that is what I meant about them playing as a team without fear. When the Spanish goals went in they didn't start mithering at each other they just got on with things.

As for them playing in the Prem. My big worry is that a lot of what was on display today will be "trained" out of them. That really would be a travesty.
Workingman

Postby TheOstrich » 28 Oct 2017, 23:32

Haven't seen it, but sounds like it was a very enjoyable match. Unfortunately, I don't think the Premiership's reliance on over-priced, over-paid, over-hyped foreign players will end anytime soon ....
TheOstrich

Postby JoM » 06 Nov 2017, 11:16

We saw one of these lads, Angel Gomes, make his Premier League debut in May. He went on for Wayne Rooney. He's an incredible talent (Gomes, not that overpaid overweight waste of space) but unfortunately hasn't signed professional papers yet and is apparently being scouted by Barcelona.

Ossie, if anything it'll get worse.

And The Charlatans and Johnny Marr one week later
JoM

Postby cromwell » 07 Nov 2017, 22:16

I saw bits of the match. Very impressive. I really hope the lads get a shot with a decent team.
"Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored" - Aldous Huxley
cromwell

Return to The Shed