European Cups

For the chaps here

European Cups

Postby TheOstrich » 10 May 2019, 19:30

How remarkable that Liverpool, Spurs, Chelsea and Arsenal should have all progressed through to the finals.

(Not remarkable, mind you, that the travel companies and airlines have already jacked up their prices for these events. :roll: )

I do hope Liverpool get the Champions League Cup (Mrs O disagrees, she has an affinity with Spurs as she trained in Tottenham). I think Liverpool will be pipped for the Premiership by Manchester City and I do think they deserve something for their heroics this season. And I like Jurgen Klopp, a breath of fresh air at the managerial level.

I don't really have any real feelings about the Europa; Arsenal for preference, I guess.

On an entirely different note, just as remarkable have been the exploits of Honiton RFC. :lol: Back in February, I saw them defeated at home in a Devon/Cornwall League top-of-the-table clash by Penryn RFC, who were exacting revenge for having lost at home to Honiton in the RFU Senior Vase two weeks earlier. Well, in the Vase competition, Honiton subsequently went all the way to Twickenham and lifted the trophy last weekend, defeating Northallerton in a thriller, 29-27. Fantastic acheivement for a small Devon club .... :D
TheOstrich

Re: European Cups

Postby cromwell » 12 May 2019, 09:56

Yorkshire lost! Poor Northallerton. Still there's always next year. :)
Whoever loses the Premiership will be unlucky, they both deserve to win it but only one team can. Same with the European Champions League final. the only thought that occurs about Arsenal and Chelsea is that they are having to play their final in Baku, Azerbaijan! 2,469 miles (3,974 kilometers) from London! What genius came up with that venue?
"Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored" - Aldous Huxley
cromwell

Postby Workingman » 13 May 2019, 12:01

Congratulations to Man city and commiserations to Liverpool re the Prem title.

Not really bothered about the "Champions" league as neither team were champions of anything - the whole thing is a farce.

Given Leeds' history with Chelski I am rooting for Arsenal in the Europa cup.

As an aside - the Championship. Whoever goes up with Norwich and Sheff United will improve the Prem and they should all survive in mid-table. The sides coming down will struggle. There are some very useful and well supported sides, as Stoke and Swansea discovered this season. It is probably the toughest league in Europe to play and succeed in, and one of the best supported as well - bigger than Spain's La Liga, Italy's Serie A and France's Ligue 1.
Workingman

Postby miasmum » 27 May 2019, 00:22

Sheffield Utd have my favourite Ipswich player, David McGoldrick. Who we gave away :shock: :shock:
miasmum

Return to The Shed