The Prem and Championship

For the chaps here

Re: The Prem and Championship

Postby Workingman » 18 Jun 2020, 14:30

cromwell wrote:Plus, now that the FA have broken their own rules by allowing player's shirts to carry a slogan promoting a political pressure group...

That is what I thought about the rules. I seem to remember some clubs and players being fined / suspended for such displays in the past.

I also see that Sheff Utd were denied a definite goal against Villa the other day. The technology brought in to define such things, Hawkeye, had gone to sleep and it is now the only arbiter allowed. In the old days Sheff Utd could have appealed to the ref and linesman and possibly have the goal allowed, but that would be too simple.

A win for the Blades would have moved then into an automatic Euro spot and put them safe from being overtaken by Wolves, it would also have cemented Villa's place and eased some of the pressure on the four clubs above them. One wrong decision in one game can have an enormous effect on many teams come the season'e end.
Workingman

Postby cromwell » 18 Jun 2020, 15:33

Yes, years ago Robbie Fowler and Steve Mcmanaman were playing for Liverpool FC and when one of them scored they lifted their shirts to reval the message "Support the Liverpool dockers" on their t-shirts.
They got told off for it.
Eta Fowler got fined £900
"Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored" - Aldous Huxley
cromwell

Postby JoM » 18 Jun 2020, 19:02

Didn’t the FA kick up a huge fuss about clubs wanting poppies on their shirts a few years ago?

I agree Crommers, it’ll be interesting to see what happens re TV packages next season but then if games continue to be behind closed doors before moving onto a phased reintroduction of supporters, it might mean that more people are inclined to pay to see games on TV who would normally be at a match?

I know that there’re a lot of questions being asked about what’ll happen at United because we’ve got a 75000 capacity and 53000+ season ticket holders, and even if distancing is reduced to 1m that’s still two seats in between each supporter and an empty row in front and behind. Me and Joe talked it over earlier in the year and considered going on the waiting list for a ST but that’ll have to wait, as it is we’ve not bothered renewing our membership because we only use it to buy tickets and I can’t see that happening for some time (despite what the club said in an email yesterday, urging people to renew in order to be able to buy tickets as soon as the 20/21 fixtures are announced).

BTW listening to BBC WM this morning and one of the football reporters who’d commentated on the Villa game last night said he hadn’t enjoyed the experience at all.

And The Charlatans and Johnny Marr one week later
JoM

Postby cromwell » 18 Jun 2020, 22:35

JoM wrote:Didn’t the FA kick up a huge fuss about clubs wanting poppies on their shirts a few years ago?

I think it was FIFA that wanted them banned Jo.

JoM wrote:I agree Crommers, it’ll be interesting to see what happens re TV packages next season but then if games continue to be behind closed doors before moving onto a phased reintroduction of supporters, it might mean that more people are inclined to pay to see games on TV who would normally be at a match?

Possibly Jo. Tbh I can't really see how you do social distancing in a football ground without massively reducing the capacity, so maybe.
On the other hand I'm a bit stalled with football atm anyway so maybe I'm being a bit pessimistic. I only got my BT sports package to look at MotoGP (motorbike racing).
Which wasn't a good move, there hasn't been a MotoGP race this season! :lol:
cromwell

Postby JoM » 18 Jun 2020, 23:26

Ah yes FIFA...have I missed them bringing anything up about BLM?

As for social distancing, it’s silly little things that we wouldn’t have batted an eyelid at before but would now make you wonder....getting into the game for a start. Everyone is security checked. Bags are checked, there’s a full body pat down, security wands are used and for all of those things you’ve got to be close. Once you’re through that you’ve then got to put your card into the card reader before going through the turnstile. This is where it gets silly, or maybe not seeing as people are washing down their shopping and shops are wiping down counters in between customers, but the person in front of you has put their card into the reader. Did they touch it as they did so? What about the turnstile?

We got rid of Sky altogether and haven’t ever bothered with BT, we just buy a Now TV day pass if there’s a game we want to see.

And The Charlatans and Johnny Marr one week later
JoM

Postby TheOstrich » 19 Jun 2020, 00:02

I agree, it's going to be impossible to apply any sort of social distancing / hygienic requirements to League football matches, or any other major sporting event, as things stand. Those rules would have to be totally removed before football can restart. Transport to and from stadia is another major obstacle.

But I wonder if the FA and the top clubs are all that bothered, TBH. TV revenue receivable is the major incentive these days, surely, and playing matches inside closed stadiums is absolutely hassle-free ....

.... it’ll be interesting to see what happens re TV packages next season but then if games continue to be behind closed doors before moving onto a phased reintroduction of supporters, it might mean that more people are inclined to pay to see games on TV who would normally be at a match?

I know the husband and teenage son of our lady painter are both Southampton season-ticket holders and they're apparently quite happy to get their fix binge-watching the rest of the Premiership season on Sky or whatever platform it is these days ....

More alarmingly from my point of view, the FA seem to be nowhere with any plan to get the community game up and running again. :|
TheOstrich

Postby cromwell » 19 Jun 2020, 11:47

JoM wrote:Ah yes FIFA...have I missed them bringing anything up about BLM?

If you have, I've missed it as well. Total silence.

JoM wrote:We got rid of Sky altogether and haven’t ever bothered with BT, we just buy a Now TV day pass if there’s a game we want to see.

How much is a day pass Jo? That might be something to look at.
Watching football on tv with no crowd and no atmosphere, It doesn't sound brilliant to me. We'll see anyway. :)
cromwell

Postby Workingman » 19 Jun 2020, 20:57

I got a Roku box to get Netflix during the lockdown and it has NowTV. I'll be taking a day pass (£9.99 Cromwell) for the games I want to watch as well as F1 when it comes back.
Workingman

Postby cromwell » 20 Jun 2020, 10:26

Thanks for the info WM. :)
cromwell

Previous

Return to The Shed