Promoted!

For the chaps here

Promoted!

Postby Workingman » 17 Jul 2020, 20:58

It has taken Leeds United sixteen years to get back to the EPL, but we're now there!

I do look forward to taking on Cheatski, Scum and our old friends the Scousers again, but I will miss the Championship. There are very few passengers in that league, and definitely no dead cert wins. Two games to go and there is still almost half the league in with a shout of the play-offs - mathematically if not in reality.

We need a foil for Bamford up front or for Bamford to be a foil for another out-and-out striker. We need a rock-solid midfielder / defender to sit in with or in front of the back three or four. We need a left back. We need a younger version of Hernandez pretty soon and we need to sign Harrison before Citeh realise that he is the real deal. Apart from that we'll be OK. ;)

You lot might hate us, but we don't chuffin' care.
Workingman

Re: Promoted!

Postby TheOstrich » 17 Jul 2020, 22:00

Congratulations! Let's hope you can make a better fist of it than the Villa. :lol:

I've only made a couple of visits to Elland Road. The first was back in the 70's with Birmingham City, a charter train journey which was marred by violence (carriage windows smashed with bricks thrown by Leeds fans, and the attitude of the local police to the away supporters was so antagonistic, that could have started a riot in itself). But in fairness to Leeds, that was in the days when football hooliganism was spiralling out of control nationally, and I had similar trouble that season on trains to Norwich and Ipswich.

The second visit, a couple of years later, was a far more happy occasion. Saturday 23rd November 1974, FA Cup first round proper, Farsley Celtic 0 Tranmere Rovers 2, duly switched to Elland Road to accommodate a crowd of around 11,000, a Farsley Celtic club record! :mrgreen:

You lot might hate us, but we don't chuffin' care.

Who do you think you are, Millwall? Sounds like delusions of grandeur to me ... :lol:
TheOstrich

Postby cromwell » 18 Jul 2020, 11:57

Yes Os, football supporting in the 70's was quite a dangerous occupation. In fact the violence and nastiness was too much. I'm glad that it is mostly gone.
WM yes, we are going to need some new players. What a pity Hernandez isn't six years younger!
I says something for Bielsa as a coach that he has managed to get a team of loanees and not outstanding (by Premiership or Championship standards) up. And there's the rub. I remember how Norwich came on strong in the Championship last year, and look at them now.
Hopefully Bielsa will get some funds to spend, especially to strengthen the team defensively.
I'd rather be next year's Sheffield United than Villa or Norwich!

Os, I notice Millwall are quite close to the play offs. Wouldn't that be something, both Leeds and Millwall promoted!?

I do feel for West Brom though. We've been there. Brentford are coming with a wet sail late run (eight straight wins in a row) and WBA, who have been in the top two nearly all season could find themselves dumped into the play offs at the last moment, which would be cruel indeed and a bit shattering.
"Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored" - Aldous Huxley
cromwell

Postby miasmum » 18 Jul 2020, 13:04

Well done WM and LUFC Really hope you are more of a Sheffield Utd than a Villa or Norwich. Although can’t feel sad for those Budgies and the horrible smug Daniel Farke. I really liked the Championship it was well balanced. I’d be happy to be back. Oh who am I kidding I’d be ecstatic to be back
miasmum

Postby JoM » 04 Aug 2020, 13:12

I’m hoping our home game against you lot isn’t behind closed doors :D

And The Charlatans and Johnny Marr one week later
JoM

Postby miasmum » 04 Aug 2020, 19:19

Well Villa got to stay up amazingly They better pull their socks up a bit for next season though

Feel for Bournemouth though
miasmum

Postby Workingman » 04 Aug 2020, 19:25

JoM wrote:I’m hoping our home game against you lot isn’t behind closed doors :D

Oh, an away game against Cannock Town. Interesting. Have we drawn you in one of the cups? ;) :D :D :arrow: :arrow: :arrow:
Workingman

Postby TheOstrich » 04 Aug 2020, 19:45

Very much "The Great Escape" for the Villa .... :lol:

Interesting to see also that Harrogate Town got promoted to the Football League. As a result, they are having to rip up their existing 3G pitch and relay turf! I hope it's worth it to them.

As for Cannock Town, I think they folded some time in the 1930's! :lol:
TheOstrich

Postby Workingman » 04 Aug 2020, 21:32

TheOstrich wrote:As for Cannock Town, I think they folded some time in the 1930's! :lol:

Oops! But Hednesford Town still exist and they are nearer to Jo so.... Keys Park here we come! :D :D :D
Workingman

Postby Workingman » 04 Aug 2020, 21:53

Ossie, H'gate have had to move to the Keepmoat in Donny because of the synthetic pitch at Wetherby Road. Shame, as it's a cracking ground and my lad played there in a couple of U12s and U14s cup games for Horsforth Dynamos years back.

It was used for other sports such as hockey and short form cricket, hence the all year round pitch. Apparently the move is only temporary and they should be 'home' mid season if all goes well. Fingers crossed for them.
Workingman

Next

Return to The Shed