They Thought it was All Over ..... But Maybe It Isn't!

For the chaps here

Re: They Thought it was All Over ..... But Maybe It Isn't!

Postby Workingman » 13 Dec 2020, 10:21

Drimpton. Drimpton! What's all that about?

You need a few Ramsbottoms or Mankiinholes down your way.

With you with the Polish sausages. My favourite is unpronounceable but begins with P and is dark reddish brown. It is very garlicky and hot with a skin like Buffalo hide. I think it has a couple of zxyw syllables in it.
Workingman

Postby cromwell » 13 Dec 2020, 12:02

I like a bit of Polish food now and then too.
Drimpton! Very Agatha Christie or perhaps P.G. Wodehouse.
Captain Hastings "I say Poirot, Lord Edgeware has been found in the library at Drimpton Manor - murdered!"

It sounds like you were glad to get back in the warm, Os.
"Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored" - Aldous Huxley
cromwell

Postby TheOstrich » 13 Dec 2020, 17:22

Drimpton - hmmm, I had to use Google Maps just now to refresh my memory as to exactly where it was. It's only a few miles from where we used to live, but it's slightly off the beaten track, a village you tend to drive around rather than through. I don't recognise the Royal Oak there, in the centre of the village, it must be one of the (few!) pubs in South Somerset / West Dorset Mrs O and I never visited. :oops: I certainly had an agriculturally-based client located near there back when I was working, but again, I didn't need to drive through the village to get to him.

Anyway, I've now located Drimpton FC's ground and I'll put them on my "To Do" list for later in the season. They're going quite well at the moment!
https://fulltime.thefa.com/ff/DivisionD ... =402873232

It sounds like you were glad to get back in the warm, Os.

I was, Crommers. It wasn't too bad in the sun (and there was a fair bit of that yesterday down here) but once it started dipping behind yonder hills around 3:00, the temperature dropped like a stone ..... :o
TheOstrich

Postby Workingman » 13 Dec 2020, 21:21

Ossie, my observations are TIC. We were invaded by Saxons and Danes so we have 'thorpes' and 'bys', leys and byes' up here, but we didn't burn the 'oaten' cakes like you lot. ;) You Wessexers.

Our place names must seem as strange to you as yours do to us. It''s who we are. It's banter, not a criticism. :cry:

Unless you like burnt toast.... and that's a no-no. :roll:
Workingman

Postby TheOstrich » 14 Dec 2020, 01:47

Workingman wrote:Ossie, my observations are TIC. We were invaded by Saxons and Danes so we have 'thorpes' and 'bys', leys and byes' up here, but we didn't burn the 'oaten' cakes like you lot. ;) You Wessexers.
Our place names must seem as strange to you as yours do to us. It''s who we are. It's banter, not a criticism. :cry:
Unless you like burnt toast.... and that's a no-no. :roll:

Oh, banter fully understood and acknowledged, WM. In fact, I have a ground-hopping mate who lives half-way between Rotherham and Doncaster and he's always complaining my match reports are about teams he's never heard of from places he never knew existed! :lol:

And I have to look up Maltby Main, Wombwell and Oughtibridge to see where he's been going!

For me, this season (thanks to Covid) has become largely about exploring and revisiting places I knew in Somerset 20 years ago before we moved up to Birmingham, a trip down memory lane if you like. And I've found it strange how memory can faded over time ..... the precise location of Drimpton being a case in point!

Now - somebody point me in the direction of Dowlish Wake! :?
TheOstrich

Postby Workingman » 14 Dec 2020, 03:40

Turn right, or left, off the A358 at Ilminster and head for Kingstone... it's next to Perry's cider mill and the New Inn.

If you miss it you could end up in Cudworth, which sounds a bit 'Northern', so take care. Don't go bah't 'at. Glad to help.
Workingman

Postby cromwell » 14 Dec 2020, 16:53

I like the names, they cheer me up. :D

We've got some good ones in North Yorkshire; Crackpot, Low Bell End (a farm / glamping site in Rosedale) and my favourite, Thornton-Le-Beans. :lol: :lol:
cromwell

Postby TheOstrich » 14 Dec 2020, 20:01

cromwell wrote: ..... and my favourite, Thornton-Le-Beans. :lol: :lol:

Hmmm, we're much more erudite down here. I'll see your Thornton-Le-Beans, Crommers, and raise you a Kingsbury Episcopi ... :lol: :lol:
TheOstrich

Postby cromwell » 15 Dec 2020, 11:21

TheOstrich wrote:
cromwell wrote: ..... and my favourite, Thornton-Le-Beans. :lol: :lol:

Hmmm, we're much more erudite down here. I'll see your Thornton-Le-Beans, Crommers, and raise you a Kingsbury Episcopi ... :lol: :lol:

Alas, alas, all too true.
You definitely have the high end sector of the market Os, what with your Chew Magnas and Kingsbury Periscopes!
We are a bit more lowbrow around here, veering I am sad to say towards the outright coarse.
We can only offer the likes of Booze, Dodworth bottom, Fartown, Jump and........... Penistone. :lol: :lol: :lol:
cromwell

Postby TheOstrich » 19 Dec 2020, 13:20

Ossie has had his wings clipped this week - all Yeovil and District League games have been called off because of a spike in Covid cases in South Somerset (there had been rumours Somerset would join Bristol in Tier 3 in the latest reshuffling, but in the event, Bristol surprisingly went down into Tier 2). Additionally all Perry Street and District League games bar one at the time of posting (some distance away and I wouldn't want to risk it) have fallen foul of the weather, and I can't get any social media confirmation that the Dorset Cup game between Team Gryphon (Sherborne) and Netherbury is going ahead. There's a couple of other games in Dorset which have been moved to 3G pitches, but neither are of any interest to me, as I've seen the clubs involved and visited the grounds previously.

So the only sporting activity for the bird this Saturday appears to be the Final of SCD on the Beeb .... :oops: :evil:

The Ostrich is now scheduled to resume footballing activities in the New Year - lockdown permitting. :o
TheOstrich

PreviousNext

Return to The Shed