So George Russell gets to drive.....

For the chaps here

So George Russell gets to drive.....

Postby miasmum » 02 Dec 2020, 21:33

Lewis' mercedes.

I so hope it goes well for him.

My friend at works husband works for Mercedes but on the Williams team and he is one of George Russell's engineers. Sadly he wont be his engineer next weekend. Although I would have thought all Lewis' crew would have had to isolate?
miasmum

Re: So George Russell gets to drive.....

Postby Workingman » 03 Dec 2020, 21:51

Given the way he has driven the Williams, a few near misses on points due to bad luck or breakdowns, GR deserves the drive. As for the Merc engineers and crew I suppose it depends where Lewis caught the bug and who he has been in contact with.
Workingman

Postby miasmum » 05 Dec 2020, 01:14

He shouldn't have been in contact with anyone, should he????

George is fastest in first two practices :Hi:
miasmum

Postby Workingman » 06 Dec 2020, 00:08

So, it IS the car! Russel just proved it.

I like Lewis, as a driver, but he has been, shall we say a bit forceful and fortunate down the years, and without the AMG Merc he would not have the record he has.

Good luck in the race, GR, you might just do it. Watch out for Mad Max though, he is the best driver out there and will be out to get you and Val.
Workingman

Postby miasmum » 06 Dec 2020, 00:49

I'd have loved him to have been on pole, but think I would have felt a tad sorry for Valerie.

Well done George, cant wait until tomorrow. I know Mark Webber says he hasn't a chance of winning, but what's life without hope
miasmum

Postby cromwell » 06 Dec 2020, 12:02

Interesting interview with Russell on Crash net. He says he has had to unlearn the stuff he has learned whilst driving the Williams and learn how to drive the Mercedes.
Also he is getting bashed about a bit, as he is a tight fit in the cockpit.
https://www.crash.net/f1/news/949891/1/ ... rcedes-car

WM, yes it is the car.
The great jockey Lester Piggott always said it was 95% the horse and 5% the jockey, and imo it's the same with F1.
Lewis's great hero is Ayrton Senna. Senna drove cars which weren't the best and sometimes won in them. He drove a Toleman (a back of the grid car) to second place in a wet Monaco GP and was closing in on Alain Prost when the race authorities stopped the race. Senna won in a Lotus when it wasn't the best car and he won in an underpowered McClaren. At Donington Park in a wet F1 race (European GP?) Senna overtook five cars on the first lap and destroyed the field, winning by a mile.
Lewis has never had to drive anything like a Toleman.
So there will always be that question mark over Lewis but then again Michael Schumacher never drove a Toleman either!
"Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored" - Aldous Huxley
cromwell

Postby miasmum » 06 Dec 2020, 22:37

Michael Schumacher was far dirtier a racer than Lewis. I'm not keen on Lewis but I really didn't like Schumacher. Although he was far more human when he made his failed comeback and by the end I quite liked him. So sad what happened to him. Doesnt Mick look like his mum?

George was scuppered by his team, personally I think he should drive next week, they owe him.

But boy that was a head and heart race. Not sure which was which but I couldn't decide if I wanted George to win or Checo. I think I would have been more disappointed had Checo failed, George will have other chances.

Cant believe he doesnt have a drive for next season. I'm guessing he is lined up to take Valerie's seat in 2022 though as he definitely has something up his sleeve. Would be great to see him in the Red Bull, although dont think Max would agree.

Wonder how Seb will go with the Racing Point, well I hope
miasmum

Postby cromwell » 06 Dec 2020, 22:47

You are right MM, Hamilton is a very clean racer. Far cleaner than Schumacher or Senna.
I was glad Checo won as well. He has always come over as one of the good guys.
It's an intriguing situation.
The superiority of the Mercedes has been well and truly underlined. Bottas hasn't come out of today well. Russell absolutely blew him off.
Russell did come out of it well but LH didn't, in the sense that if he asks for too much money Mercedes can just say "We'll put somebody cheaper in the car. We're going to win anyway".
The tyre mix up was bad. Kwik fit would have done better!
"Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored" - Aldous Huxley
cromwell

Postby Workingman » 07 Dec 2020, 00:39

Please, people, be nice. Some of us avoid all mention of F1 on quali and race days so that we can watch the C4 highlights of both in blissful innocence. Thanks. We can't all afford Sky or Now! at £9.99 per throw.

Great dive Checo, and well done George - it is the car.
Workingman

Postby miasmum » 08 Dec 2020, 11:33

I am so so sorry WM. This is usually me too, we never buy a pass but because we didn't get the race until 10pm and we both had work Monday and also the fact it was actually promising to be a good one we did, hence why I completely forgot and posted early. Except it didn't feel early.

I am so sorry and hope I didn't spoil it for you xx
miasmum

Next

Return to The Shed