The problem with pundits and twiiter and Leeds Utd.

For the chaps here

The problem with pundits and twiiter and Leeds Utd.

Postby Workingman » 30 Dec 2020, 15:15

Commenting on Leeds Utd's 5 - 0 win over West Brom....

Karen carney
"They out-run everyone and credit to them. My only concern would be will they blow up at the end of the season?

"We saw that the last couple of seasons. I actually think they got promoted because of Covid in terms of it gave them a bit of respite. I don't know if they would have got up if they didn't have that break."

Leeds United's response on Twitter with a laughing emoji on each line which I can't replicate:
"Promoted because of Covid"
Won the league by 10 points
Hi @primevideosport

And it's Leeds Utd which should apologise!?

All teams got the same break.... and Leeds were on a winning run just before the break: W6 D1 L0.

If Shearer or any of the other male pundits had said what Carney said about any other team and they had replied in the same way it would not be news..... but Carney is a woman and it's Leeds Utd so everyone has to pile in with their PC snowflakey wokeness.
Workingman

Re: The problem with pundits and twiiter and Leeds Utd.

Postby TheOstrich » 30 Dec 2020, 15:34

Leeds were promoted entirely on merit.

Carney's comment looks to me like a classic case of "pundit's mouth" - someone having nothing to say deciding to say something purely for the sake of it.
TheOstrich

Re: The problem with pundits and twiiter and Leeds Utd.

Postby cromwell » 31 Dec 2020, 10:40

It's an observation. She has a right to an opinion but it seems to have been forgotten that other people have a right to theirs as well. But as WM says she is a woman so a robust response is somehow inappropriate.
If you put a contentious opinion out there you should expect a strong response.
"Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored" - Aldous Huxley
cromwell

Return to The Shed