The UEFA Anyone's League.

For the chaps here

The UEFA Anyone's League.

Postby Workingman » 10 Mar 2021, 23:30

You do not need to be a champion in the "Champion's" league, haven't needed to be for nearly 30 years, but now it is to be expanded to 36 teams in the league stages - over 90 in pre-qualifying. A team does not even have to be in the top three or four in its own league to take part as it can use its historical co-efficient. With their records Real and Barca could finish 15th and 16th in La Liga and still "qualify" over the second in the league.

They might as well just allow anybody who turns up to get a game.
Workingman

Re: The UEFA Anyone's League.

Postby TheOstrich » 11 Mar 2021, 01:03

All about more games = more TV = more money.

Additionally, Premiership clubs will be under increasing pressure fixture-congestion-wise - but I don't think Merriott Rovers or Sturminster Newton United will be too bothered, somehow ... :lol:
TheOstrich

Postby cromwell » 11 Mar 2021, 14:36

It is a plan by the owners of the big clubs to rake the money in.
This is one of the reasons I've gone off football a bit; it is a shameless money racket these days.

I actually don't care about the Champion's League; the PL means more to me.
I also don't care about the World Club Championship, the Europa League, the UEFA Nations League, the CAF Confederatoins Cup or any other of the recently invented Tupperware Competitions.

I hope they do expand the Champion's League and I hope it dies on its bum.
"Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored" - Aldous Huxley
cromwell

Postby Workingman » 11 Mar 2021, 19:31

Whispers are that it is an attempt to foil the Euro Super League.

I would let it go ahead. De-register the teams and players from their national leagues and international competitions inc World Cup etc. and let it truly break away. Fans will soon get sick of watching the same handful of teams play each other year on year with no promotion or relegation.

Once the shine wears off they can re-register with their national leagues, but in the lower tiers. If the rules are made clear before it starts it will never take off.
Workingman

Postby cromwell » 11 Mar 2021, 20:58

Workingman wrote:I would let it go ahead. De-register the teams and players from their national leagues and international competitions inc World Cup etc. and let it truly break away. Fans will soon get sick of watching the same handful of teams play each other year on year with no promotion or relegation.

Yes, good idea. If Man U, Man City, Liverpool, Chelsea or a couple of others want to join the Super Dooper UEFA Champions Platinum league (or whatever), let them and kick them out of the PL.

They wouldn't actually be missed imo, certainly for a couple of years. New Champions, a more level playing field, what's not to like?

Meanwhile I don't think Man City would get much of a crowd for Dynamo Novosibirsk or Locomotiv Tractorgrad.
"Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored" - Aldous Huxley
cromwell

Return to The Shed