Women's sports.

For the chaps here

Women's sports.

Postby Workingman » 03 Apr 2021, 15:20

I quite like the rugby, watching it now and it is pretty good, and so is the cricket. Still not convinced about the football. The spatial awareness is not quite there - yet. The tennis is definitely better, IMHO.
Workingman

Re: Women's sports.

Postby TheOstrich » 03 Apr 2021, 20:23

I've never been convinced about women's football as a spectator sport, it's a totally different game. I can't speak about rugby as I've not seen any games locally, but most clubs in this area have thriving girls and women's teams, as indeed do the local soccer clubs ......

Cricket's not so popular, but then the grassroots men's game is dying on its feet anyway.
TheOstrich

Postby cromwell » 04 Apr 2021, 11:35

I am old fashioned. I really don't like women playing rugby. It can be a very hard game and trust me, those injuries you get will come back to haunt you. Plus there is now a worry about injuries in the men's game, specifically concussion. The man who played hooker in Englands world cup win in 2003 (?) Steve somebody, is now struggling with memory loss and emotional problems resulting from that.

Women's football can be good at the very top level. The Brazil v USA game of a few years ago was really top class. AT a domestic level unfortunately it isn't really a good spectacle for me. Too much variation in the ability of the teams and the commentators have obviously been told to use gushing praise at every opportunity for play which is pretty average.

Women's cricket I do like to watch! You are right about the men's grassroots game though Os and it's really sad. We're going to end up with a national team composed of South Africans, New Zealanders and public schoolboys, and that's it; a long way from the days of Brian Close and Fred Trueman.
"Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored" - Aldous Huxley
cromwell

Postby Kaz » 04 Apr 2021, 15:32

I think very few schools now teach cricket :(

I certainly wouldn't fancy playing rugby - back when I was young enough, that is :lol: :shock: Not going by the amount of aches, pains, broken noses and knee, ankle and hip replacements that Mick's old team mates have between them :?
Kaz

Postby Workingman » 04 Apr 2021, 15:53

Cricket, all forms, is in a really bad place.

I remember playing for the school team and local team. School match on Saturday then a local one on Sunday. The junior games seem to be nothing more than ad hoc friendlies these days, and there is nearly nothing on the schools front - lack of playing fields?

For quite a few years now the three local teams - Mods, Adel and YMCA - have put "Players Wanted" banners up, and again this year. They are looking for all ages, from juniors up to the over 60s, and all skill levels.

Another factor is the cost of kit. It costs a small fortune just to tog up, then you need pads and a bat at some stage. H & S means that there is now no sharing of most things and you can only go with "pool" pads and bats for so long. Boots, gloves, box, helmet, ordinary white trousers and T shirt cost over£100 to get Michael started, and that was 25 years ago!
Workingman

Return to The Shed